*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Nanobrewery in an existing restaurant?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
bucky666
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Nanobrewery in an existing restaurant?

We're thinking of adding a 1bbl system in our restaurant, making and serving our own beer and seeing how our customers like it. But I'm curious why I don't know of anyone else doing that.

Do you know of a restaurant that brews it's own beer and sells it at it's restaurant? Obviously brewpubs do that, but I'm thinking of on a very small scale, using a 1bbl system... essentially a SABCO machine.

Are there any known restrictions that would keep someone from brewing professionally - even on the nano scale - on a SABCO Brew-Magic or similar machine? Our thought is that we don't need to produce more than a keg or two a day so we'd rather keep our initial investment down and if we see a strong reaction from our customers we can upgrade to a 3.5bbl system at that point.

Obviously, county ordinances will vary greatly, but I'm curious about any and all right now. Throwing a big net out there.

Thanks for any insight in advance!!

Last edited by bucky666; 11-17-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Might as well make yourself a brutus or a 2050 type. But then with all the hassle of getting approval and licensing you might as well go with a 3bbl. Its not like you can just set it up and sell beer because you have a class 6.

I am trying to add a class 1 to a class 6 currently for this purpose and there are quite a few restrictions with the TTB.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
bucky666
Recipes 

we already have an incidental liquor license.

what are some of the restrictions you are running up against? are you finding the feds to be more of a hassle than your local laws?

Old 11-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No......time mostly. You have to have a brewery in place before you can apply for your license, and turn around time is gong to be 4-6 months. Its forms and redtape mostly. Luckily the wife is all over that aspect, she gets me approved, I brew

incidental? chicago must be different than AZ

class 6 is for everything from a distributor, class 3 is production (brewery), class 1 for us is the addendum to a class 6 for production and buying from a distributor. At least thats what I remember her saying, I'll ask her again jsut to be sure

Old 11-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
belmontbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You may want to contact Pizza Orgasmica in San Francisco. I would consider them a restaurant that happens to serve its own beer. I don't know how much they brew, but when I went there last, I was the only person in the entire place that ordered one of their beers. Everyone else was drinking "commercial".

Quick Reply