Naked City Imperial Rye on tap in Seattle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
As many of you know, I've been working on opening a brewery here in the Seattle area. The hop shortage, along with our failure to be able to secure a hop contract, has forced us to re-write our business plan. The new plan will consist of a taphouse with 18-20 guest taps and a selection of rotating house beers brewed on much smaller brew sytem. We are now looking at locations with more of a retail presence while still allowing room to brew on site.

This will allow us to hopefully ride out the current hop situation, begin creating revenue through the taphouse and get our name out there. The plan is to upgrade to a larger brew system and increase production in the next three years.

This all leads up to now. We may be able to get our name out there sooner than expected. Stix Brewery (where I've been working part time) approached me and said that they'd like to brew one of my recipes and serve it in their pub. The head brewer and owner both really like our beers. Today we pulled together the ingredients to brew a 5 bbl batch of "RYE" ley's Rye IPA. We will be brewing it on Friday. It will be called "Naked City Imperial Rye" when it goes on tap at Stix and perhaps a few other pubs in town.

I'll keep you updated on the progress and be sure and let everyone know when it taps.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited! :ban:

Wow- that's so exciting! I'm so thrilled for you. Naked City is going to be out being served to the public!

That's wonderful news- thanks for sharing it with us here.

A damn good beer to put on tap. I look forward to ordering a pint at Stix. Hope to make it back over that way sometime in February.

That is awesome.

I get out to Seattle once every couple of years and I think I might be due for a Seahawks game at Qwest in Fall '08. If I make it out, I am making a mental note to PM you around that time and find out where I can go get a pint of Naked City.

Congrats!

That is amazing. Congrats!!! Maybe one day Ill be able to get Naked City on tap here in good ole Kentucky!!!!! Congrats again!!!

Looks like we will be brewing on Monday or Tuesday next week. I'd hoped to have pictures of the brew session up by Saturday. We still need to track down some Columbus hops. Need a total of 7 lbs!

Another local brewery hooked us up with the 4 lbs of Centennial needed and we already had the 1.75 lbs of Amarillo for the recipe.

The malt bill has been assembled, 465 lbs!. :rockin:

Working on the tap handle label.

This is what I have so far
Stix NC Tap web.jpeg

Brewtopia said:
Looks like we will be brewing on Monday or Tuesday next week. I'd hoped to have pictures of the brew session up by Saturday. We still need to track down some Columbus hops. Need a total of 7 lbs!

Another local brewery hooked us up with the 4 lbs of Centennial needed and we already had the 1.75 lbs of Amarillo for the recipe.

The malt bill has been assembled, 465 lbs!. :rockin:
Oh man! I can't wait to hear about your brew session!

Cool! And just think, I got one of his shirts on netcaffe or whatever back when he was a little guy. Naked City Brewing.... but I like the old logo better than the new avatar. Congrats on the deal!

Brewed this today. Overall a very good brew day. We were a little low on our target numbers but still should end up with an 8% abv, 90 IBU Imperial Rye IPA.

Here are some pictures of the brew day

Running the strike water to the mash tun
DSCN8499.JPG
Mashing in. At Stix, this is very labor intensive. The mash tun is much like the insulated coolers we use in homebrewing. This one just happens to be 8.5 barrels.
DSCN8501.JPG
The flaked rye goes in last
DSCN8504.JPG
Nailed our mash temp of 154 degrees
DSCN8506.JPG
All mashed in. 20 minutes
DSCN8508.JPG

The lid goes on and we wait
DSCN8509.JPG
Filling the brewkettle so that we can heat the sparge water. Stix doesn't have a HLT so we have to heat water in the brew kettle a nd transfer over to a fermenter which acts as a holding tank. Very time consuming but it works.
DSCN8510.JPG
DSCN8511.JPG
Adding sanitizer to the fermenter we will be tranfering the beer into.
DSCN8512.JPG
Recirculating the wort
DSCN8518.JPG

Attaching the sparge arm to the mash tun
DSCN8519.JPG
Running off into the kettle
DSCN8525.JPG
Sparging
DSCN8523.JPG
Adding first wort hops (Galena)
DSCN8527.JPG
First wort hops are in the kettle
DSCN8528.JPG

I hate when people post in the middle but couldn't resist. WOW

Must be the tits! Really happy for you topia, you're living the dream( is that getting old?, sorry but you are - my dream anyway;) )

Sparge complete
DSCN8529.JPG
A rolling boil
DSCN8530.JPG
Head Brewer Tomas Munoz adds the 60 minute hops
DSCN8536.JPG
Time to clean out the mash tun
DSCN8534.JPG
Got to make sure it gets a good rinse
DSCN8538.JPG

Time for another hop addition
DSCN8540.JPG
Adding finings
DSCN8543.JPG
Whirlpool hop addition ready to go
DSCN8544.JPG
Final hop addition going in
DSCN8545.JPG
Wort chiller and pump is set up and ready to tranfer from kettle to fermenter.
DSCN8550.JPG

Hooking up the O2 line to aerate the wort on it's way to the fermenter
DSCN8552.JPG
Temp guage and sight glass between the wort chiller and fermenter
DSCN8554.JPG
Closeup of sight glass where you can see oxygenated wort on it's way to the fermenter
DSCN8558.JPG
Hosing down the floor after pitching the yeast. Yeast is pitched by putting 10 lbs of head pressure on the fermenter next to this one and pushing the yeast from the bottom of the cone into the newly transferred beer. The yeast we are using is Rogue's Pacman yeast.
DSCN8561.JPG
Trub at the bottom of the brew kettle. Guess who gets to clean this out as well? It's all part of the job.
DSCN8564.JPG

Latest posts

Back