The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > My Craft Beer Hit List!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 03:36 AM   #131
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 525

Beer #72 - Avalanche Amber - Breckenridge

Easy pour turns from a copper and amber body into a three finger white head with a yellow hue. Not much retention as the head quickly dissipates. Very bright clarity. Aroma is straightforward but nice. A blend of breadiness, caramel malt, some yeast and mild hoppiness in the background. Taste follows suit with the aroma. Light hop flavor overshadowed by sweet caramel malt and a touch of biscuit. Nothing fancy but very sessionable. Medium body and carbonation. Overall this beer doesnt really have a wow factor but what it does have is simple and enjoyable. Very solid session beer I feel would also be good for pairing with lunch.

My Grade - B

image-3007579986.jpg

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Red, Wheat, and Blue
Primary : Mango Cream Ale
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Atocha Amber, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #132
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Beer #73 - Winter Seasonal - Alaskan

Yea I'm bit late and I've been a bit off my game but a beer made with spruce tips is worthy of a review.
A rough pour gently opens up a golden orange body with a 2 finger off white head. Little bit of lacing is left in the glass as the was quickly fades. Surprisingly this beer has only a faint spruce aroma. What's is there is nice though accompanied by sweet caramel malt and a little bit of yeast character. Flavor is well balanced but fairly simple. Malty up front that transitions into a nice toasted bready flavor mid palate rounded out by some earthy hop character or possibly the spruce tips and some sweet spices in the finish. No heat or off flavors. Carbonation is fairly light and body is medium. Pretty sessionable but nothing amazing. Was really expecting more from the spruce tips.

My Grade - B

image-1224991626.jpg

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 05-16-2013, 03:20 AM   #133
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Beer #74 - Oak Aged Mocha Stout - Peak Organic

Pours motor oil black and opens into a two finger dark caramel head. Solid retention and decent lacing. Aroma is of oak, vanilla, french roast coffee, and a touch of chocolate. Flavor is very complex. Dark fruits on the front palate that transitions into dark roast coffee, dark chocolate, and a mild nuttiness. The finish is more dark fruit, chocolate, and coffee with a faint hint of oaky vanilla that eventually settles into a lingering mocha note. Fairly low carbed and medium-full body. Quite impressed with the array of flavor is this beer. It all happens so fast and smooth its easy to miss some of the subtleties.

My Grade - A

image-784375833.jpg

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 05-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #134
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Beer #75 - Tocobaga Red Ale - Cigar City

Dark copper with amber hues an easy pour opens a frothy 3 finger head that's light beige in color. Nice head retention that slowly fades leaving behind a sticky lacing. Very assertive ruby red grapefruit and tangerine tones in the aroma backed by caramel malt. A grapefruit tang jumps right out on the front palate evolving into a more juicy citrus profile mid palate accompanied by some caramel malt and a faint breadiness. I little bit of resinous earthy character joins the mix together with a strong citrus finish that's more tangerine than grapefruit. No heat or booziness, the 7.4%ABV is hidden incredibly well. Light-medium bodied with good crisp carbonation that leaves the tongue a bit dry. Overall extremely delicious and despite the alcohol content, a very sessionable beer.

My Grade - A+

image-134855147.jpg

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 05-27-2013, 02:39 AM   #135
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Beer #76 - Last Chance IPA - Weyerbacher

Rough pour opens this straw yellow bodied brew into a 2-3 finger ivory head. Retention is pretty good with decent lacing. Aroma is earthy, slightly spicy, some orange, faint yeast character, and strongly backed by caramel malt. Taste on the front palate is malty with a bitter hop note and mild citrus flavor. The bitterness takes the lead in the mid palate becoming more earthy and reminiscent of pith though still backed by notes of slightly bready crystal malt. The hops drowned out the malt in the finish with an assertive bitterness interwoven with grapefruit. Body is light, good carbonation, no boozy heat. Overall not my style of IPA. Just too much bitterness and not enough good hop flavor to balance it out, its mostly just...bitter. The Double Simcoe is much better.

My Grade - B

image-782533870.jpg

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 05-30-2013, 02:52 AM   #136
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Beer #77 - Guava Grove - Cigar City

Pour this one gently because this beer is bubbly!! It took me a few minutes to fill my pint glass and despite being so frothy theres little to no lacing. Body is golden orange with red hues and an off white head. Im immediately confronted by an aroma of funky clove and green apple acidic bite, typical of farmhouse style, that eases into juicy fresh guava. A lot of subtle notes and flavor transitions. The front palate is more of the funky clove found in the aroma with a bit of banana joining the mix. The funk and clove both get amped up a little bit in the mid palate supported by an underlying flavor of guava. The finish introduces a little pepper and a nice tangy note reminiscent of the clean green apple tartness in the aroma. Not very sour but enough for a slight pucker. Mouthfeel is crisp and leaves the tongue dry, no boozy heat despise being 8abv. Overall a very solid beer and one I'd recommend to anyone who loves a good farmhouse.

My Grade - A

image-847997401.jpg

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 06-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #137
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Beer #78 - Chris's Summer Delight Brewers Share Berliner Weiss - Full Sail

Huge frothy head and gold body with incredible clarity......

image-1701393265.jpg

Good head retention and decent lacing. Theres a nice clean green apple tartness to the aroma balanced out by wheat. Light sour bite and a little bready on the front palate that slowly transitions into notes of wheat all the while that green apple tartness lingers in the background. Theres a little bite from the carbonation which is nice and crisp. Overall a pretty solid berliner that would be great on a hot sunny day.

My Grade - B+

image-2208665332.jpg

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 06-11-2013, 02:49 AM   #138
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Beer #79 - Mosaic Red Rye Ale - Terrapin

Rough pour opens up a murky dark cherry colored body with a 2 finger peanut colored head. Decent head retention and a nice sticky lacing. Aroma is an array of hop character ranging from mango and citrus to a grassy, malty, and rye backbone. The taste is surprisingly malty though well supported by smooth citrus and earthy notes. For some reason I even get a faint hint of coffee in the mid palate which is interesting. The finish is long and is a nice mix of grapefruit and rye. Medium body and medium carbonation. Its hardly notice able but there is a faint underlying booziness hinting at the 6.6% abv. Overall an interesting beer thats well worth trying.

My Grade - B+

image-2668630773.jpg

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #139
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Beer #80 - Modus Hoperandi IPA - Ska

Pours a golden orange color with a frothy 4 finger beige head that fades slowly leaving behind a wonderful amount of sticky lacing. Crystal like clarity. Grapefruit, mango, pineapple, floral, lightly earthy, and an underlying tea note all backed by faint touch of malt round out the nose. Grapefruit and piney notes jump out on the front palate and slowly turn to mango, pineapple, and a light maltiness in the mid palate. The finish melds back to strong flavors of citrus and pine. A very mild booziness lingers on the back of the tongue hinting at the 6.8 abv. Body is light, crisp, and leaves the back of the tongue a little dry. Overall a phenomenal beer thats incredible sessionable.

My Grade - A+

image-3858893326.jpg

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #140
LoloMT7
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1241 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 3235

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
Beer #77 - Guava Grove - Cigar City

Pour this one gently because this beer is bubbly!! It took me a few minutes to fill my pint glass and despite being so frothy theres little to no lacing. Body is golden orange with red hues and an off white head. Im immediately confronted by an aroma of funky clove and green apple acidic bite, typical of farmhouse style, that eases into juicy fresh guava. A lot of subtle notes and flavor transitions. The front palate is more of the funky clove found in the aroma with a bit of banana joining the mix. The funk and clove both get amped up a little bit in the mid palate supported by an underlying flavor of guava. The finish introduces a little pepper and a nice tangy note reminiscent of the clean green apple tartness in the aroma. Not very sour but enough for a slight pucker. Mouthfeel is crisp and leaves the tongue dry, no boozy heat despise being 8abv. Overall a very solid beer and one I'd recommend to anyone who loves a good farmhouse.

My Grade - A
I loved the guava Grove that AllenH sent me. Is it still available in Florida?

"Here's to you and here's to me and if we should ever disagree f* you and here's to me." My good Friend pasted away in 2004. In memory of Nick M.

Quick Reply