Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > More Vintage Beer Ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #71
merkinman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great thread here. Any ideas on how I might get my hands on the Ballantine ad with John Stienbeck? I have been searching for one for years.

LAGERING: . . .
TAP1: Curley's Wife California Common
TAP2: Rauch-N-Wiener

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #72
Ki-ri-n
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Have you tried contacting Vintage-Ads.com Your place for Classic Retro Magazine Ads ?

Old 03-15-2012, 02:43 AM   #73
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3177 Times on 1984 Posts
Likes Given: 2699

Hope this wasn't already posted... a bunch of old beer commercials. Looks like local Buffalo NY brands.

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/forgottenbuffalosounds/soundsofbuffalobeer.html

Old 09-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #74
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Evidently Schlitz had a thing for creepy clowns.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #75
Revvy

Recipes 

Some more assorted.

Interesting, and Guinness Ad geared towards African Americans?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #76
Revvy

Recipes 

Old 09-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #77
Fly_Rodder
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was going to post the Greenway ones. It was one of the only ones I've seen that advertised something other than pilsners. I don't know how many pre-prohibition beer advertisements were for something like stouts, IPAs, and such.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #78
Revvy

Recipes 

Default More vintage beer ads the yule edition.....

The Beer for Santa thread got me interested in taking a look at vintage beer ads that Ole St. Nick appeared in. We know that there's a ton of classic ads of him with coca cola, but I thought there would be quite a few of him enjoy our favorite drink as well.

Some may have already appeared earlier in this thread so my apologies for any repeats.

This 1929 ad from a Quebec magazine shows Santa Claus joining Mom and Dad for a nice cold glass of Molson beer, as their little girl looks on.

1948 Budweiser Beer Santa's Christmas Feast Print Ad

Nippon Beer poster circa 1930

Google doesn't give me much on Boswell's except that it was from Quebec.

Evidently Santa must do most of his beer imbibing in Quebec....

Guinness

Cuba represents....

I've mentioned it several times that I'm fascinated with the almost tragic history of Falstaff brewing.

The consumer's brewing company was one of the small regional breweries that was killed off during prohibition. A little bit of their history is here. The interesting thing I found about this particular ad was that it sparked the ire of the women's temperance movement.

And interestingly enough this one, though not vintage is catching these days for it's portrayal of Santa and beer, and butts....Evidently in 2007 this label was banned in Maine, the later rescinded.

Quote:
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — It's a bit late for the holidays, but the state's beer sellers are now free to let Santa's Butt Winter Porter sit on their shelves.

The Maine Bureau of Liquor Enforcement had blocked a beer importer from selling the brew, along with two beers with labels depicting bare-breasted women. Those decisions were reversed after the state attorney general's office determined that the company probably would win the lawsuit the American Civil Liberties Union filed on its behalf last month.

Chris Taub, an assistant state attorney general, said Friday a court probably would find the beer labels in question to be protected under the First Amendment.

State officials had barred the English-made Santa's Butt out of concern its label might appeal to children. It depicts a rear view of a beer-drinking Santa sitting on a "butt," a large barrel brewers once used to store beer.

The other previously banned beers feature paintings of bare-breasted women on their labels. One of the paintings hangs in the Louvre — Eugene Delacroix's "Liberty Leading the People" — and the other was commissioned by the importer, Belchertown, Mass.-based Shelton Brothers.

The company was notified of the reversal in a letter dated Dec. 22, but owner Dan Shelton was out of the country and didn't learn of it until this week.

Shelton, whose company has challenged similar bans in other states, said Thursday he has no plans to drop his lawsuit because state law still allows officials to deny applications for beer labels that contain "undignified or improper" illustrations. About a dozen beer and wine labels, out of 10,000 to 12,000 reviewed, are rejected each year on such grounds.

"You can't have a law based on propriety and dignity. It's too vague," Shelton said.

Taub said his office is reviewing the rule about undignified or improper illustrations but declined to comment further.
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

People Like This 
Old 12-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #79
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 915 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 1989

Those are great, Revvy, thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply