Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > More Vintage Beer Ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #41
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Guiness...

I didn't know they made ales and lagers as well...

Quote:
Withdrawn Guinness variants include Guinness's Brite Lager, Guinness's Brite Ale, Guinness Light, Guinness XXX Extra Strong Stout, Guinness Cream Stout, Guinness Gold, Guinness Pilsner, Guinness Breó (A slightly citrusy wheat beer), Guinness Shandy and Guinness Special Light.
For a short time in the late 1990s, Guinness produced the "St James's Gate" range of craft-style beers, available in a small number of Dublin pubs. The beers were: Pilsner Gold, Wicked Red Ale, Wildcat Wheat Beer and Dark Angel Lager.
A brewing byproduct of Guinness, Guinness Yeast Extract (GYE), was produced until the 1950s

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #42
Revvy

Recipes 

Theodore Hamm Brewing Company

Theodore Hamm was born in Germany in 1825 and came to St. Paul at the age of 31. Nine years later, in 1865, he inherited a mill and the Excelsior Brewery from his friend and business associate, A. F. Kellar. Kellar had built the brewery over deep artesian wells situated in the sandstone bluffs above the Phalen Creek valley (known as Swede's Hollow). Hamm hired Chris Figg as masterbrewer, and by the end of his first year had five employees, who churned out 500 barrels of beer. By 1886, Theodore was joined by his son, William, and they employed 75 employees. Turning out 40,000 barrels that year, the T. Hamm Brewing Co. was the second largest in the state.

Theodore Hamm passed away in 1903, leaving the operation to his son and grandson, William Jr. By 1912, the brewery was producing 2000 barrels of beer per day. It continued to prosper up until and through Prohibition, manufacturing near beer, soft drinks, syrups, ice, cigars, and even sardines.

In 1968, after years of takeovers and buyouts in order to become a national brand, Hamm's itself was bought by the Heublein Brewing Company, which in turn sold the brewery to Olympia, which would eventually merge with Pabst. The Stroh Brewing Company acquired the brewery in 1984 and it stands so today. Although little remains of the original structures, the plant is still an impressive place, looming at the head of Phalen Creek.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #43
Revvy

Recipes 

Heinie's

Old 11-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #44
Revvy

Recipes 

hmmm, I just found these, I can't find any info on the beer, but I wonder if they were the brewery that LD Carlson turned into Brewer's Best Kits?

Anyone know?

1947-48

Old 11-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #45
Revvy

Recipes 

Never heard of this brand.

Quote:
The Frank Fehr Brewing Company was in business from 1876 until 1964.

Frank Fehr was a native of Alsace (a section of western France with heavy German influence) and moved to the US in 1862. He worked for several breweries in different citys untill 1872 when he leased the Gerhardt Otto's old William Tell Brewery in Louisville on Liberty Street. He and his partner, Otto Brohm were successful as production increased from just under 600 barrels a year to over 12,000 in just 12 months. When fire destroyed the brewery in 1876 Fehr bought the site and built the City Brewery and continued to increase production. Frank Fehr died in 1891 and John F. Kellner took over as president. Frank Fehr Jr. was a vice president and became president of the brewery in 1909.

By 1901 Fehr's was Louisville's biggest brewer and joined four other Louisville breweries to form the Central Consumer's Company which lasted until Prohibition closed them down.

Fehr's refitted its Liberty Street facility when Prohibition ended and opened in September 1933 taking its place as one of the large regional breweries. In August 1940 Fehr's made the jump to using cans. Fehr's sales peaked in 1949 and it was the largest selling brand in Kentucky and Indiana. However, the brewery was under the same intense pressure from the big nationals as was every other small or regional brewer in the country. Also, Fehr's made the decision to push a new brand called "Liquid Gold" which ended up eating into the sales of their flagship brand, Fehr's XL.

As sales dropped Fehr's began a merry-go-round series of management changes as Frank Fehr III and his nephew Fehr Kremer battled for control of the company, switching places as the brewery's President. In 1957 Fehr's was again losing money and, hit by a lien for back taxes by the IRS, filed for Chapter X bankruptcy. It was reorganized in March 1959 with entirely new leadership. Liquid Gold had been dropped and the brewery was selling Fehr's Pasteurized Draught Beer, Fehr's XL, and Kentucky Malt Liquor/Lager. However, even though sales increased the brewery continued losing money. In 1964 it was closed and in 1968 the corporation was sold with Schoenling in Cincinnati buying the brand names and beer formulas. The last 7,000 barrels of beer were dumped into the sewers. The brewery site current tenant is a senior citizens housing development.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #46
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Louis Neuweiler came to Allentown in 1891. Beermaking then was more than 100 years old in the Valley, its roots going back to the Moravian brewers in Bethlehem. Neuweiler hooked up with longtime brewer Benedict Nuding, whose business was at Seventh and Union streets. In 1900, Neuweiler bought out Nuding. In 1906, he took his oldest son, Charles, into the business that became L.F. Neuweiler & Son.

The Seventh Street location was too small for expansion, so in 1911 the Neuweilers purchased 4.5 acres at Front and Gordon streets and hired Philadelphia architects Peukert and Wunder to build the brewery. It got its water from an underground lake 900 feet below. Neuweiler ordered his own generators for electric power and had separate wells drilled.

Neuweiler opened at this location on April 28, 1913. That day, son Louis P. entered the business and its name became Louis F. Neuweiler & Sons, a name it would retain until 1965. (Louis P. Neuweiler later left the family business and became a local banking executive at Merchants National Bank.)

Neuweiler's truly was a family operation. Charles Neuweiler sometimes drove the horse-drawn wagon to Bethlehem loaded with barrels. The women in the family kept the books.

Neuweiler's also was something of an absolute monarchy. Generous to his family, Louis F. Neuweiler had a temper and little patience with those he regarded as lesser mortals. He once ripped the telephone out of the wall in frustration and told the operator she could go to hell when she couldn't understand the phone number he was asking for.

Louis F. died in 1929. It was during Prohibition and Neuweiler's was brewing only near beer with 3.2 percent alcohol and making mixers under the names Purity and Frontenac Pale. In the early 1930s, Charles Neuweiler turned down an offer to buy the brewery for $500,000 from gangster/bootlegger Arthur Flegenheimer, aka Dutch Schultz. According to son Theodore Neuweiler, his father said, ''We have always made honest beer,'' and ordered Schultz off the property.

At first, the post-Prohibition years were good for Neuweiler's. Its slogan ''nix besser,'' none better, was shared across the community. But by the early 1960s it found itself trapped between the growing market share of the beer giants of the Midwest and the growing preference for its lighter product.

On May 31, 1968, Neuweiler's closed its doors for the last time, $800,000 in debt.

Over the years, some of the equipment was sold. One of the stainless steel brewing tanks ended up at the Milford Park campmeeting grounds in Old Zionsville to be used for water storage.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #47
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Great thread, thanks for pointing it out, Revvy.

I've added my two contributions:

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 11-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #48
Revvy

Recipes 

Thanks, Paps!!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #49
Revvy

Recipes 

Here's a few more I've come across. Not in any particular order.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #50
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

"There's New Vigor and Strength in Every Drop" - classic!

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Quick Reply