Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > More Vintage Beer Ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

During both world wars anti german sentiment really turned their attention on the German Brewers. A/b more than any....It was becasue of that that AB went out of their way to come off as the ulta patriotic "America's Beer," kinda ironica now isn't it?

Where other breweries ad's targeted the women's market during that time, AB's emphasized how much they were helping the war effort...(They had to, during both wars there was intense scrutiny on the Busch family, there were even attempts to see AB assets and property to prevent money being sent to Germany...Part of the problem was that some of the Bush family had married into German aristrochracy...and some of the spouses were very pro nazi).

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #22
Revvy

Recipes 

According to Maureen Ogle, AB pioneered a lot of refrigeration technology that allowed their beer not to be limited to strictly regional markets, like their competitors...

Notice the first image of Bud in aluminum cans....

(1948)

1951....the idea of the "Lawnmower Beer."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #23
Revvy

Recipes 

A few more Bud ads, before I move on to other...

I really like this one...I think the woman just looks stunning in a 1950's sort of way...

This isn't Nichel Nickols from Star Trek is it?

Old 07-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #24
Revvy

Recipes 

The Duke, in 1950

Whoever did this one in 1976 was doing acid...WTF?

this is cool....it shows the evolution of the beer can.

1981...the first Bud Light Ad???

Old 07-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #25
Revvy

Recipes 

Carling!!!

1934...anyone know if this was the first imported beer?

Old 07-17-2008, 06:28 PM   #26
Revvy

Recipes 

Interesting how Carling made a distinction between beer and ale...

And here it is 1954....."Hey Mabel...."

Mabel was pretty hot here in her little nurses outfit.

A 1970's Red Cap Ad...I figured Red Cap got phased out by Carling when they brought in Black Label....anyone know?

Old 07-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #27
Revvy

Recipes 

Carlsberg.

Quote:
Carlsberg was founded by J. C. Jacobsen; the first brew was finished on November 10, 1847. Exportation of Carlsberg Beer began in 1868; foreign brewing began in 1968 with the opening of a Carlsberg brewery in Blantyre, Malawi[4]. Some of the company's original logos include an elephant (after which some of its lagers are named) and the swastika. Use of the latter was discontinued in the 1930s because of its association with political parties in neighboring Germany. Carlsberg founder J. C. Jacobsen was a philanthropist and avid art collector. With his fortune he amassed an impressive art collection which is now housed in the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek in central Copenhagen.

Jacobsen set up the Carlsberg Laboratory in 1875 which worked on scientific problems related to brewing. It featured a Department of Chemistry and a Department of Physiology. The species of yeast used to make pale lager, Saccharomyces carlsbergensis, was isolated at the Laboratory and was named after it. The concept of pH was developed there as well as advances in protein chemistry. The laboratory was part of the Carlsberg Foundation until 1972 when it was renamed the Carlsberg Research Center and transferred to the brewery.

Carlsberg Pilsner or Carlsberg Lager is the beer most people expect when ordering a Carlsberg. A German style pilsner, first brewed in 1904. In Denmark the beer is often known as HOF (court) due to its Royal Warrant. This nickname was adopted into the brand in 1931 but discontinued in 1991.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:23 PM   #28
Revvy

Recipes 

Goetz Country Club Malt Liquor

Quote:
The first widely successful malt liquor in America was Country Club, which was first produced in the early 1950s by the M.K. Goetz Brewing Company.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #29
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Drewrys was originally Drewry's Lake of the Woods Brewery in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It was formed in 1877. After prohibition, they started brewing Drewrys in the United States at the Sterling brewery in Evansville. They sent the first case of U.S.-brewed beer to President Franklin Roosevelt.
Anyone had it?

Old 07-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #30
Revvy

Recipes 

Erlanger Beer.

Erlanger was a signature beer manufactured by Michelob in the 70's evidently. Later it was snatched up by Stoh's. I can find little info on it...I wonder what it tasted like....The bottles sure are cool though!

[youtube]6NhqE7h9K8w[/youtube]

These ads are from the '80's

Quick Reply