Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > More Vintage Beer Ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default More Vintage Beer Ads.

I love old beer ads...from back in the day when men were men, men wore hats and horses didn't fart on television.

I miss the daily vintage beer ads post of a few months ago, though I thought it would have worked better if it was one cohesive thread. It would probably have been less likely to fall into HBT obscurity.

I found a bunch of old ads, Jpeged, so I thought I'd start a thread. And see if anyone else liked old beer ephemeria...And also hoped that people had some of their own...Especially you HBT'ers across the pond.

I'd loke to see how beer was marketed back in the day in Europe or Down Under.

Enjoy!

Some from Ballantine's Ale...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
It looks like the buisness gent is hitting on the sailor.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 07-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICLARK View Post
It looks like the buisness gent is hitting on the sailor.
Nah, there was none of that there funny stuff going on in the 1950's...

He does, doesn't he....LOL

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

A couple more Ballie's

I love this one...sort of a slam against the BMC that use cold to hide flavor.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Cool stuff, Revvy!

Old 07-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

In the 40's while the men were off to war, many beer companies tried to fill the void by trying to capture the tastes of the war brides and "Rosie the Riveters."

Like most breweries in the 50's and 60's when faced with declining sales (actually beer never quite recovered from prohibition until the 70's.) Ballie's tried to market to women, and their desire not to gain wait from beer.

Last edited by Revvy; 07-17-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Thanks Ohio!

Okay...this is one I've never heard of... Barbarossa?? Anyone heard of it? The ads are dated 1946 & 7.

Here's a little bit of info,

Quote:
Moerlein beer tapping showcases links to the past
Cincinnati Business Courier- 2008

Christian Moerlein Brewing Co. will launch its latest beer with a ceremonial tapping of the first keg at Arnold's Bar and Grill downtown on Thursday. On hand to do the honors and mark the return of Barbarossa lager will be Bob Pohl, former president and CEO of Hudepohl Brewing Co.

Pohl resurrected Cincinnati's historic Christian Moerlein beer brand in the early 1980s when he created one of the first nationally distributed all-malt beers -- now commonly referred to as "craft" beers -- and the only American beer at the time to pass the "Rheinheitsgebot" Bavarian Beer Purity Law of 1516.

Hudepohl was later merged into Schoenling Brewing Co., and the combined Hudepohl-Schoenling brands -- including today's growing line of Moerlein beers -- are now owned by Greg Hardman's Christian Moerlein Brewing Co.

Barbarossa Double Dark Lager is Moerlein's latest year-round beer, a Munich style beer with a lower alcohol content than the company's recent seasonal beers. The name is a tribute to the first beer marketed by the German immigrant founder of the original Christian Moerlein Brewing Co. in the 1850s. There was also a Barbarossa beer produced by Cincinnati's Red Top Brewing Co. in the 1950s.

The tapping of the new Moerlein Barbarossa will take place at 5:30 Thursday at Arnold's. Limited edition posters of the Moerlein Barbarossa label will be distributed, and Cincinnati artist Jim Effler will be on hand to sign the commemorative prints.

The image depicts Frederick the First, the 12th century German emperor known as Barbarossa, sitting in his enchanted mountain cavern and being served a goblet of beer while awaiting the signal for his triumphant return.

A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Over-the-Rhine Foundation

Old 07-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

During Prohibition many breweries tried to stay open producing "near beer," soft drinks, and even ice cream. Anheiser Bush Began Producing and marketing such products in the late 1800's...

Some of AB's Non alcoholic Product Ads....Nary a farting horse in the bunch...

Old 07-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

This one disturbs me for some reason...AB trying to seduce a generation into liking fizzy yello beer?

Old 07-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Remember Blatz? I always wondered if the name had anything to do with the sound the drinker makes after a few.

The original 1879 Blatz Ad

A whole bunch from the 40's catering to the women left behind...

Quote:
Johann Braun opened City Brewery in 1846. Valentin Blatz established a brewery next door in 1850 and merged both breweries upon Braun's death in 1852. The brewery produced Milwaukee's first individually bottled beer in 1874. It incorporated as the Valentin Blatz Brewing Company in 1889, and by the 1900s was the city's third-largest brewer.

During Prohibition, Blatz produced non-alcoholic beverages, from 1920 to 1933. In 1933, Blatz was issued U-Permit № WIS-U-712, granting permission to resume brewing beer.

In 1958, Pabst Brewing Company, then the nation's tenth largest brewer, acquired Blatz, the eighteenth largest, from Schenley Industries. In 1959, the federal government brought an action charging that the acquisition violated Section 7 of the Clayton Act as amended by the Celler-Kefauver Anti-Merger amendment. The sale was voided in 1959 and Blatz closed that same year. In 1960, the assets of Blatz, including its labels, were sold to Pabst.

In 1969, Blatz was acquired from Pabst by the G. Heileman Brewing Company. Heileman, in turn, was acquired by the Stroh Brewery Company in 1996. On 8 February 1999, prior to its dissolution in 2000, the Stroh Brewery Company sold its labels to the Pabst Brewing Company and to the Miller Brewing Company. By 2007, Blatz was once again part of Pabst.

Innovation
While the Joseph Schlitz Brewing Company was "the beer that made Milwaukee famous," Blatz Brewing Company was, in fact, the first to take its product national. Two famous Blatz/Milwaukee beer marketing slogans were "Blatz—Milwaukee’s Finest Beer" and "Blatz—Milwaukee’s Favorite Premium Beer." In later years, the brewery described its product as “Draft Brewed Blatz.” The most famous jingle from the 1950s to early 1970s had the words, "Kegs, Cans, or Bottles, all taste the same. The three best is one beer - Blatz is the name," playing on the fact that many other beers had a different taste when bottled and canned from how they tasted fresh from the keg.

The Blatz Brewery Complex and Valentin Blatz Brewing Company Office Building in downtown Milwaukee are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The brewing company’s office building has been converted into condominiums. The former Blatz bottling facility is now the Campus Center Building for the Milwaukee School of Engineering. The office building has been converted into the school's Alumni Partnership Center.[1]

Today

The "Blatz" beer label currently is produced by the Miller Brewing Company of Milwaukee, under contract for Pabst Brewing Company, managed by CEO, Charles Thomas Blatz who coincidently shares the last name of the previous founder.

The Blatz Brewery Building was purchased and converted to condos in 2005-2006. The Blatz building's downtown location has made it a premier place to live in Milwaukee. In 2008, Blatz Beer made its return to the brewery building. Rather than being brewed there, however, it is merely available for purchase from the Blatz Market & Liquor.

Quick Reply