Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Miller makes lite craft beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 152

No marketing out west yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #12
Doog_Si_Reeb
Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

“Miller Lite is the perfect beer to introduce this innovative product because only Miller Lite provides the ideal balance of real beer taste and refreshment."

I'm going to have to call bulls**t on that statement. Craft brewers who have been making good tasting beers for years are the ones that can successfully brew lighter craft beers. I will be very surprised if these come out tasting like blonde, amber or wheat ales.

I will definitely give one of them a try. But if it's anything like Miller Chill, I will be using the remaining five bottles for target practice in the desert.

Primary: BohPils3
Kegged: Vienna Lager, Mánagarmr Stout, Ratatoskr IIPA, Cider
Bottled: Yule Gruit

Old 02-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #13
andypantz13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

http://lewbryson.blogspot.com/2008/0...n-tasting.html

Some tasting notes from Philly area beer writer Lew Bryson.

Anyone seen these anywhere yet?

Old 02-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #14
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here are my thoughts.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #15
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypantz13
http://lewbryson.blogspot.com/2008/0...n-tasting.html

Some tasting notes from Philly area beer writer Lew Bryson.

Anyone seen these anywhere yet?
My favorite part:

I don't like conspiracy theories. I think most of the wacky **** beer geeks come up with about the evil marketers at the macrobrewers is just that: wacky ****. But I can't help thinking that this represents one of the recurring theories about why macrobrewers try craft-type beers: they do them in a half-assed way, designed to fail, so that they can point to them and say, "See? People don't really like this stuff. They're just buying it because it's small/local/trendy."

Gotta give it to Lew.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:14 PM   #16
andypantz13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
My favorite part:

I don't like conspiracy theories. I think most of the wacky **** beer geeks come up with about the evil marketers at the macrobrewers is just that: wacky ****. But I can't help thinking that this represents one of the recurring theories about why macrobrewers try craft-type beers: they do them in a half-assed way, designed to fail, so that they can point to them and say, "See? People don't really like this stuff. They're just buying it because it's small/local/trendy."

Gotta give it to Lew.
Oh yeah, Lew is the man.

I just have some sort of weird vague hope about these that some Miller fan will end up trying them, liking them, and then be at like my house for a party... see I have no Miller beer, but that there IS something with the word amber in the name, try a real amber ale, and realize that its much better. Probably won't happen, but its a hope I have for people.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:41 AM   #17
cowgo

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used to be an Anti-anti Beer Snob. I could enjoy a Miller Genuine Draft and then a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and not think twice.

But the more craft brew and homebrew I drink the less I think the low malt low hop Bohemia style pilsner put out by Anheuser-Busch, Miller, Pabst, Shaeffer, et al, is real beer. I actually dumped a bottle of Miller Genuine Draft down the drain like it was infected homebrew (which I've dumped my share of)

That's not being a beer snob...that just stepping up from bolgna on wonder bread with mayo beers.

Kegged/bottled: Cowbrau Heifer Weizen, Kolsch, House Ale
Commercial Brews in Fridge: Nothing! Finally got the pipeline filled.
Past HB Favorites: Dead Dog Barley Wine (She was a good dog)
Up Next: Faux Urquell Blond Ale and Irish Red

Secret Hidden Mancave Build (x2) Thread Cowbrau eBIAB Brewspace Build Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:51 AM   #18
Greggy
Recipes 

Ed said it best. I just don't understand the big 3 trying to get into the craft beer market. I know they own a huge proportion of craft breweries already, but the beer is still, for the most part, the original recipes and people running it. From working in a liquor store I get to see some of the garbage that gets rolled out now and then. Ex: Tequiza, the new A-B shocktop (blue moon ripoff).. Come on!

I will talk to the miller guy when I'm at work to see what the word is on these, "brews" in Minnesota.

Greg

Bottled: Petite Saison, Rye IPA

Old 08-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #19
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks like no one is going to get a chance to try these anytime soon....

Article from BA link:
"MillerCoors LLC is dropping plans for the Miller Lite Brewers Collection, three spin-offs of Miller Lite that tried emulate craft beers, the company disclosed today.

MillerCoors is suspending its test marketing of the three beers after they did not perform as well as hoped, according to Brew Blog, which is operated by the company.

Miller Brewing Co. said in April that because of strong sales during test marketing, the new craft versions of Miller Lite -- a blond ale, an amber beer and a wheat beer -- would be rolled out in phases, with the three beers available nationally by the end of September. But the company, which has since joined Coors Brewing Co. to create MillerCoors, in June postponed those plans in order to improve the marketing for the beers after their sales softened.

The three beers were to target mainstream drinkers and seek to exploit trends that favor light beer, a greater variety of beer styles and a willingness to pay more for higher-quality beers."
http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch.../2008&id=44122

Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #20
Wicked Daddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I don't see how you can brew a million gallons at once and call it a craft brew. The big three definately get props for consistency but so much of that is decided by computers, machinery and automation. There is no "crafting" of anything going on in the brewery, only in the marketing department.

Quick Reply