New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > MGD 64 - Impressive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 04:29 AM   #1
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts

Default MGD 64 - Impressive

... in that something that looks like water (actually very close to Bud Light color) actually has some flavor (unfortunately, and not surprisingly, that flavor is not so good). I thought it had a taste similar to weak Blatz.

I got these samples from a friend that thought I might like to try them for "research purposes". I was curious why a beer company would make such a product and was given a two word answer - Weight Watchers. Based on the point system the diet is based on, the lowest point beer on the market is Mich Ultra and it is 2 points. Although it varies, a typical dieter will get 20 to 30 points per day and it drops as you stay on the diet. You can see that beer doesn't fit well in that diet, even at 2 points a crack, thus the "need" for a beer that is only 1 point - enter MGD 64.

For kicks, I tried to figure out SG and FG given the calories and carbs. After calculating the alcohol content and verifying it by a few sources, I calculated the SG at 1.021 and the FG at 1.000 to 0.999 - extremely high attenuation (ADF 100+ and RDF in the 80s).

Primary:
--
Next Up: Baltic Porter, Saison
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand, Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, Lakefront Fixed Gear, New Glarus Moon Man, Tröegs Troegenator

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's easy to calculate the FG, it's the SG that'd be trickier. Just drop the hydrometer in the beer glass.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 09-09-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Becks premier light is only 64 calories and it actually tastes pretty good.

Quick Reply