Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Mephistopheles stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
AndrwHock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mephistopheles stout

Hey guys, I just got my hands on one of these from 2006. I was wondering if anyone else has had it. I've had a few other avery brews and liked them and couldn't pass this one up. I hope its as good as the others, at $7 for one bottle, I'm expecting a lot.

Anywho, what was your impression of this if you've had it, and do you guys know of any really good imperial stouts that I can get cheaper?
I'm a big fan of stouts, and the type of guy to have one beer all night, so the robust flavor, not to mention high abv, of en imperial is right up my alley.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One of my favorites. I actually attempted a clone, which I have been told is better than the original.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
AndrwHock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good to hear some positive reinforcement, heh. I plan on enjoying this brew possible on Friday night and showing off to my friends all drinking their BMC swill, haha. I'd rather enjoy one beer than force down six for the same price, thought next time, I think I'll be picking up a sixxer of something, can't afford $7 a bottle all the time.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Have you had North Coast Old Rasputin yet? This is in many people's opinion one of the best RIS's out there. I've also had Descheutes Abyss which was damned good, and Left Hand Imperial Stout which did not really impress me.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew
Have you had North Coast Old Rasputin yet? This is in many people's opinion one of the best RIS's out there. I've also had Descheutes Abyss which was damned good, and Left Hand Imperial Stout which did not really impress me.
Old Raspy is a fine example but quite frankly pales in comparison to Meph. The only thing I've had that can hold its own against it is DFH's WWS. Good, but in a different way. I mean, old raspy is probably, what, 10 or 11%? Meph is 15%, FFS!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Old Raspy is a fine example but quite frankly pales in comparison to Meph. The only thing I've had that can hold its own against it is DFH's WWS. Good, but in a different way. I mean, old raspy is probably, what, 10 or 11%? Meph is 15%, FFS!

I would probably agree, however I haven't had either of the other two to compare. And it's only 9%. I really do want to try the Meph, but haven't found it yet.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
AndrwHock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was surprised to find it Here in middle Illinois. Someone told me about it and that I probably wouldn't find it anywhere, but it just popped up at the store when I went to buy some caps for bottling and I couldn't pass it up. I'll review it after I enjoy it, if the 16.03 abv does'nt have its way with me first, heh.

I've had Deschutes Abyss and thought it to be pretty spectacular, but I know people who've had both that and Mephy and said that Mephy, after aged for a year or so like my Nov. 2006 bottle, takes the cake. I want to try the Goose island bourbon street, but I couldn't find it when I was at the store, I was a bit rushed though, perhaps next time.

Keep the RIS recommendations coming

Old 03-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #8
Aclay
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you can find it pick up a six of bell's Expedition Stout. It's Bell's Imperial Stout. It'll be cheaper than $7 for a bottle and still a good beer. You said your in Illinois and there are tons of good imperial stouts that come out of Michigan and Wisconson. Your near prime beer country my friend. Check out www.ratebeer.com that will give you some very good ideas as to the Imperials that are in the area and for sale. However, there are a lot of Imperial Stouts that are not sold on the market and are only available at the brew pubs/breweries that make them. Go on a brew tour around January-Feburary when most of the companies release their Imperials.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I have a September 2006 bottle as well as one of Evan!'s clones. I'm aging Evan's for at least a year and will hopefully do a comparison.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
Quercus
Recipes 

Haven't had the Mephistopheles, but I have seen it around. I'll likely pick one up at some point.

Had the Abyss, and it was special, but pretty intense. I've got one I'm saving for next year.

As others have mentioned, Old Rasputin is quite good. I have several in my cellar awaiting future evaluation. I'd love to have that on a nitrogen tap or from a cask.

I also really liked the Stone RIS. Very hoppy (of course), which I think would fade nicely if left alone for a few years. I think it's cheap, too, at about $5 for a bomber.

Not sure if you can get it outside the Yay Area, but Drake's Imperial Stout is great.

Primary: Bee Cave Pale Ale
Secondary: ~nada~
Drinking: yes

Quick Reply