Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > a little heart to heart

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default a little heart to heart

So I can't help but notice that a lot of the folks around here HATE the big lager companies with what I have to call an irrational passion. Don't get me wrong, when I go to the greatest grocery store on earth (Jungle Jim's) I head straight to the huge wall of individual bottles of beer most of which I've never heard of and start grabbing like a kid in Willie Wonka's factory. However, I finish up by hitting the walk-in for some of the good old standby: Coors Light. It's a great drinking beer. It tastes very even keal in my book, and I need something clear to drink between the others.... kind of like a pallet cleanser. I can drink stouts all night, but my mouth tastes like the Bert (SWMBO's dog) had a bowel movement in my mouth when i wasn't looking. Also I took the Coors tour in their golden colorado plant a while back, and of course got several free FRESH samples. Let me tell ya the flavors of coors light, coors original, blue moon, etc. are beautifully pronounced when they're that fresh. I honestly don't know what the heck happens to these brews when they leave the plant, 'cause they aren't as good later. Still tasty but not the same. Why are the refined designs of some of the oldest brewers poo-pooed so darn much? If it aint your bag, fine. But calling names like deer piss and swill etc. doesn't make much sense to me. There are plenty of beers I haven't liked at all, but I don't really care about that. I just don't buy those again. Is there anyone else that get's a little turned off by the comments I'm talking about?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

We're just tryin' to sock it to the man, that's all!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot
Coors Light. It's a great drinking beer. It tastes very even keal in my book, and I need something clear to drink between the others.... kind of like a pallet cleanser.
No doubt. When you don't like your water out of the tap, you can always get it from a can.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

We're all about "craft" beer here. Bud, Miller, Coors don't qualify as a craft product due to the lack of flavor, taste, etc.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 112

it's kinda like going to mcdonalds and expecting a good meal

Old 10-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Criticism is the stuff of life and progress. I could understand your complaint if it was irrational or unfounded criticism, but the fact of the matter is: American Light Lager is a bland, simplistic, uninteresting style. Yes, it has its place; I went tubing down the James River earlier this summer with some friends, and I'll be damned if PBR wasn't the perfect, quintessential beer for such an occasion.

But at the same time, a lot of the backlash you see round these parts is due in large part to the market dominance that American Light Lager has enjoyed for the past century. The majority viewpoint in this country of "beer" is "clear, slightly yellow tasteless fizzy water"...and as craft brewers, people around here buck that majority viewpoint. One way they do that is to rail against the dominant paradigm...and American Light Lager is that paradigm.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
wild
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Coors Light. It's a great drinking beer. It tastes very even keal in my book, and I need something clear to drink between the others.... kind of like a pallet cleanser.

I guess, if you're water is unavailable or undrinkable.

Quote:
Why are the refined designs of some of the oldest brewers poo-pooed so darn much?

Because you'd think they'd get it right by now.

Quote:
If it aint your bag, fine. But calling names like deer piss and swill etc. doesn't make much sense to me.

I believe that since I grew up, not only drinking but serving these macros, that I have a right, nay, a duty to help prevent others from offending their palate.

Wild
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 10-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #9
Big "A"
Recipes 

I can not drink Macros...If I buy beer it's definitely craft brew, Flying Dog, Terrapin, Sweetwater, Rougue.

Green bottles don't do it for me.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Old 10-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

A big part of it is the damage BMC has done to the image of beer and beer drinkers. As you mention, some of them are good when handled properly, but BMC has lowered the flavor bar to the point that no level of mistreatment prevents people from drinking it, it's just a way to get drunk (more image problems).

As far as "refined designs" go, very few of the flagship BMC's are anything like they were 30 years ago, much less 50 or 60. On the average, they have 1/3 the IBU's they had in the '70s.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 10-10-2007 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply