Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Legal question- not sure where to post

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Cap'n Jewbeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Legal question- not sure where to post

Please move this if it's improperly located:

I know it's very not-legal to sell homebrews without a license, but I have a query: Is it allright if my friends give me money, ahead of time, to cover costs of the ingredients? Essentially, they're buying me the ingredients so that I can THEN make the wine/beer/mead.

Is that okay? I haven't done that yet, I wanted to consult the better wisdom of my peers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 161

I'm sure your not going to make a continual habit of this so see no harm in what you are doing. Also, no profits are being made which is where uncle sam always wants a slice from you.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
Cap'n Jewbeard

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Okay, very good- yeah, it's like "Hey, grad student. Likes to brew, but the initial lay-out is expensive. So, friends can help me out, and we all enjoy the fruits of said labor." Definitely no profit involved.

Also, nice one with Hans Gruber. Rickman is a bad-ass. Actually, I'd kind of like to see Rickman and Jeremy Irons in some sort of, like, sarcastic/ironic Stare-Down. It would rule so much.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P funky
Please move this if it's improperly located:

I know it's very not-legal to sell homebrews without a license, but I have a query: Is it allright if my friends give me money, ahead of time, to cover costs of the ingredients? Essentially, they're buying me the ingredients so that I can THEN make the wine/beer/mead.

Is that okay? I haven't done that yet, I wanted to consult the better wisdom of my peers.
Unless your friends are cops, judges, or puritans you should be allright...your really getting screwed by selling it at cost though. If some one gave me 20 bucks to brew them 5 gallons of beer id tell them to go screw themselves. Now 100 bucks, or 5x cost is more like it!

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 05-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

If they buy the ingredients and hire you to cook it all together for them, you're really not selling them anything other than your time. You never own the concoction, it's just temporarily in your possession.

Not even really an issue, now is it? If you went to a football game or concert and sold beers out of a cooler in a lot, THAT would be illegal.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Borg
Unless your friends are cops, judges, or puritans you should be allright...your really getting screwed by selling it at cost though. If some one gave me 20 bucks to brew them 5 gallons of beer id tell them to go screw themselves. Now 100 bucks, or 5x cost is more like it!
$1.50 per 12/oz bottle sounds fair for good friends, $2.00 - $2.50 for others, depending on the type and the quality. If you yield about 45 bottles, that's about a $40 profit, minimally. They'd expect to pay $9.00 per 6er for a really good, obscure variety in the liquor store. For the $1.50 price, I'd ask them to rinse out the bottles and return them all.

Alternatively, you could sell 22oz bottles for about $5.00. That was always the price of a Sammy Smith oatmeal in the parking lot of a Phish show, and those guys were always in business.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Selling homebrew is illegal here in any quantity. You can completely avoid the problem by having them help do the brewing. If they buy the ingerdients, are present during the brewing and help bottle, it's their beer and comes out of their annual allowance. If they provide the food as well, everybody is happy.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #8
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P funky

Also, nice one with Hans Gruber. Rickman is a bad-ass. Actually, I'd kind of like to see Rickman and Jeremy Irons in some sort of, like, sarcastic/ironic Stare-Down. It would rule so much.
Christopher Walken would lay the smack-down on both those punks!

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:08 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Selling homebrew is illegal here in any quantity. You can completely avoid the problem by having them help do the brewing. If they buy the ingerdients, are present during the brewing and help bottle, it's their beer and comes out of their annual allowance. If they provide the food as well, everybody is happy.
...set it up like a coffee fund at work...everyone chips in to work/brew and drink on the premises...

Old 05-16-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
...set it up like a coffee fund at work...everyone chips in to work/brew and drink on the premises...
I can't seem to sell my manager on this idea. I tell him we will be calmer and more productive but still we are limited to a 12 pack for four of us only on weekends. Damn policies.

Quick Reply