Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Legal question- not sure where to post
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Cap'n Jewbeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cap'n Jewbeard's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 946
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Legal question- not sure where to post

Please move this if it's improperly located:

I know it's very not-legal to sell homebrews without a license, but I have a query: Is it allright if my friends give me money, ahead of time, to cover costs of the ingredients? Essentially, they're buying me the ingredients so that I can THEN make the wine/beer/mead.

Is that okay? I haven't done that yet, I wanted to consult the better wisdom of my peers.

__________________
Cap'n Jewbeard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DesertBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 5,496
Liked 80 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Default

I'm sure your not going to make a continual habit of this so see no harm in what you are doing. Also, no profits are being made which is where uncle sam always wants a slice from you.

__________________
DesertBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
Cap'n Jewbeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cap'n Jewbeard's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 946
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Okay, very good- yeah, it's like "Hey, grad student. Likes to brew, but the initial lay-out is expensive. So, friends can help me out, and we all enjoy the fruits of said labor." Definitely no profit involved.

Also, nice one with Hans Gruber. Rickman is a bad-ass. Actually, I'd kind of like to see Rickman and Jeremy Irons in some sort of, like, sarcastic/ironic Stare-Down. It would rule so much.

__________________
Cap'n Jewbeard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
Ivan Lendl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ivan Lendl's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wimbledon Finals
Posts: 1,312
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P funky
Please move this if it's improperly located:

I know it's very not-legal to sell homebrews without a license, but I have a query: Is it allright if my friends give me money, ahead of time, to cover costs of the ingredients? Essentially, they're buying me the ingredients so that I can THEN make the wine/beer/mead.

Is that okay? I haven't done that yet, I wanted to consult the better wisdom of my peers.
Unless your friends are cops, judges, or puritans you should be allright...your really getting screwed by selling it at cost though. If some one gave me 20 bucks to brew them 5 gallons of beer id tell them to go screw themselves. Now 100 bucks, or 5x cost is more like it!
__________________

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Ivan Lendl is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Poo-Poo Land
Posts: 6,809
Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Default

If they buy the ingredients and hire you to cook it all together for them, you're really not selling them anything other than your time. You never own the concoction, it's just temporarily in your possession.

Not even really an issue, now is it? If you went to a football game or concert and sold beers out of a cooler in a lot, THAT would be illegal.

__________________
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.


Cheesefood is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Poo-Poo Land
Posts: 6,809
Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Borg
Unless your friends are cops, judges, or puritans you should be allright...your really getting screwed by selling it at cost though. If some one gave me 20 bucks to brew them 5 gallons of beer id tell them to go screw themselves. Now 100 bucks, or 5x cost is more like it!
$1.50 per 12/oz bottle sounds fair for good friends, $2.00 - $2.50 for others, depending on the type and the quality. If you yield about 45 bottles, that's about a $40 profit, minimally. They'd expect to pay $9.00 per 6er for a really good, obscure variety in the liquor store. For the $1.50 price, I'd ask them to rinse out the bottles and return them all.

Alternatively, you could sell 22oz bottles for about $5.00. That was always the price of a Sammy Smith oatmeal in the parking lot of a Phish show, and those guys were always in business.
__________________
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.


Cheesefood is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,654
Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Default

Selling homebrew is illegal here in any quantity. You can completely avoid the problem by having them help do the brewing. If they buy the ingerdients, are present during the brewing and help bottle, it's their beer and comes out of their annual allowance. If they provide the food as well, everybody is happy.

__________________

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

david_42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #8
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chairman Cheyco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,274
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P funky

Also, nice one with Hans Gruber. Rickman is a bad-ass. Actually, I'd kind of like to see Rickman and Jeremy Irons in some sort of, like, sarcastic/ironic Stare-Down. It would rule so much.
Christopher Walken would lay the smack-down on both those punks!

__________________

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Chairman Cheyco is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 07:08 PM   #9
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,951
Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Selling homebrew is illegal here in any quantity. You can completely avoid the problem by having them help do the brewing. If they buy the ingerdients, are present during the brewing and help bottle, it's their beer and comes out of their annual allowance. If they provide the food as well, everybody is happy.
...set it up like a coffee fund at work...everyone chips in to work/brew and drink on the premises...
__________________
HB Bill
homebrewer_99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
chillHayze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chillHayze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 1,589
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
...set it up like a coffee fund at work...everyone chips in to work/brew and drink on the premises...
I can't seem to sell my manager on this idea. I tell him we will be calmer and more productive but still we are limited to a 12 pack for four of us only on weekends. Damn policies.
__________________
RDWHAHB
Every little thing is gonna be alright.

chillHayze is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
keg post question toddrod Bottling/Kegging 2 09-12-2009 06:04 AM
first post, got a question gone Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 02-12-2009 07:01 AM
first post and question redpale Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 01-29-2007 12:29 AM
first post-bottling question grrtt78 Bottling/Kegging 13 11-16-2006 05:56 PM
First post: question about kegging eulipion2 Bottling/Kegging 4 09-05-2006 09:05 PM