Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > legal for breweries to sell growlers in Maryland?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
red96jeep
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default legal for breweries to sell growlers in Maryland?

I've heard that it is illegal for breweries to sell growlers in maryland. I'd like to know if this is true, i'm pretty confident that some do however. It is a law that applies to breweries and not brew pubs? I googled the subject with no conclusive answer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 618

If you have a 'brewpub' license I believe you can. There is a push to get this expanded. Stateline liquors in Elkton (that has a license to serve as well as sell) no longer sells growlers (even though they have a bar) because the AG stated the above...There does seem to be some contention about the subject and unsurprisingly most of your local reps don't even know about this issue.

http://beerinbaltimore.blogspot.com/...baltimore.html

Old 11-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
red96jeep
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Man what a mess, Maryland really needs to get it's beer laws right if it wants to take advantage of a new industry. Any thought if this pertains only to a "brewpub" and not a "brewery" as they are two separate licenses in MD i think.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
mattm3
Recipes 

Isn't it also illegal for breweries to offer samples? I was trying to schedule a trip to the Frederick breweries for my club and I remember one saying they stopped tours because they couldn't offer samples or something like that.

Matt
http://www.queencityhomebrew.org/

Old 11-19-2010, 02:19 AM   #5
red96jeep
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think in order to give samples a tour must be given, and samples cant be free.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:53 AM   #6
bloh4126
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

"Maryland laws limit brewery tour participants to one 6-ounce sample of beer after participating in a guided tour. Our tour participants feel that a quintessential element of touring a brewery is being able to sample and learn about more than one beer.
We are working to change that law during the next state legislative session. If our changes pass, they will be made effective by July 2011.

A lot of you have asked if there is anything you can do to help change the law. While we appreciate the support, there isn’t anything you can do at this time. There is a certain process we must follow to pursue this type of change. We trust that process and are confident that we will meet little (if any) resistance along our way.

“Good People Drink Good Beer” in the great State of Maryland. Our simple goal is to update the state laws and make them a little more brewery-friendly." Quoted from flying dogs site......i live in frederick.......my first post hopefully its useful

Old 11-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 618

What get's my goat is they have wine tastings at a local winery all the damn time.....

Quick Reply