Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Lancaster Brewing Milk Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
Todd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
I have purchased my final 6 of this beer. Never again!

Three of the 6 times I have had it, the beer has been sour. Granted the times it wasn't, it was a decent milk stout. All 6 of tonight's bottles were as sour as you would expect a flemish sour to be and wound up going down the drain....sad considering I am with-in two hours of the brewery and where I bought it has a decent turn over. Good thing I have a few chilled homebrews to save the day.

Any other PA locals have this experience with this beer? My experience with the milk stout makes me wary of their other brews.

I've yet to have one of their beers taste good, we pretty much swore off them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #12
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Not trying to make excuses for them but here's our in-house guru's perspective on distribution, etc.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
We also made a deal with the devil, sold our souls and bought a pasteurizer. The reality was nobody between us and the customer cared about how our beer was handled. It would sit in a hot warehouse, ride in hot trucks, sit on sunny shelves. We could not afford the other options and so we configured a means to do in bottle pasteurization. Of course this meant the beer was degraded, but at least it was stable. As I look back I can clearly see the slow slip from the purest ideals of our home brewing roots to the compromised realities of our commercial venture. But at the time they were all basic decisions about surviving.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 02-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #13
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
Not trying to make excuses for them but here's our in-house guru's perspective on distribution, etc.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20962
One thing I do know for sure is that I won't be purchasing their product again...excuses or not, getting undrinkable product in half of my purchases from different locations isn't really making the grade when it comes to who gets my commercial beer money.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:37 AM   #14
Kaboom
Recipes 

I was just there a few weeks ago. We had a tour from the restaraunt manager. He was less knowledgeable than a brewmaster would be, but I think he told us some stuff a brewmaster would never admit to. He told us the bottling machine messes up at about every 4th bottle! The employees get to buy cases of half-filled bottles for $5 each. So I think their packaging may leave a lot to be desired, and this might be why you are getting sour beer.

In house was pretty good. They do make decent beer, but I'd go get it at the bar or buy a keg.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #15
Fire_travels

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What are the chance you guys are from the clearfield, PA area?????

The other night I picked up the same sour stout for my first bottleing night and you know what.......sour, I almost tosed my cookies!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #16
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_travels
What are the chance you guys are from the clearfield, PA area?????
Phila metro

Old 02-03-2007, 09:18 PM   #17
Fire_travels

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The other night I was in the local 6-pack and brought up that I had a bad (SOUR) 6 pack of Lan. M.S. and ask if there was anthing they could do! ......he talked to the owner........tonight when I went in, I got a replacement 6 pack of Sam adams!!!!! no question asked....... They just asked me to bring in the bottles I have left.

See you at the bottem!

Old 02-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #18
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_travels
The other night I was in the local 6-pack and brought up that I had a bad (SOUR) 6 pack of Lan. M.S. and ask if there was anthing they could do! ......he talked to the owner........tonight when I went in, I got a replacement 6 pack of Sam adams!!!!! no question asked....... They just asked me to bring in the bottles I have left.

See you at the bottem!

I would have returned my 6 'cept it was a bit chilly and I wasn't in the mood to go back out in it. fwiw, I sent lancaster an email the day after I posted this thread to let them know where I bought the spoiled beer and they haven't followed up with me since.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #19
muzleldr
Recipes 

Default milk stout

I had some left hand milk stout sunday . I would rate this beer a 50 out of 50 .
one of the best beers ever !!

Old 08-04-2007, 02:30 AM   #20
BNVince
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just wanted to tell you guys that I too am done with this beer. I live in southern New Jersey, which isn't that far from Lancaster, and I picked up a 6 pack of the Milk Stout last week. I drank one and it tasted sour. I drank another one and it tasted the same. I went to drink the third one and the freaking cap wasn't even properly on so their was no carbonation. I just tossed the rest of them. What a shame.

Quick Reply