Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
MileHighBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild Ale

Holy crap!!! This is some GREAT beer! I think this may be my new favorite hoppy beer. I put it up against Pliny or Hop Stoopid any day. Its brewed a bit different, basically an American PA with Westmalle yeast. Starts pretty big a 1.082, 8.85% ABV. Wow, doesn't taste that high in ABV.

IF you have been thinking about trying this beer, stop what you're doing right now, go back to the LQ store and buy lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 04:05 AM   #2
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

This, Lucky 13, Wilco Tango Foxtrot, Lagunitas has been making some of my favorites lately.

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 11-20-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Wild ale without bugs eh? I'll still try it but that seems like false advertisement.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
JayBullen
Recipes 

Yeah, I had it the other day and it was really good. Have nothing bad to say about Lagunita's, great beer and a great place to visit. But I agree with jmo, the name is a bit misleading.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
MileHighBrewer
Recipes 

I sort of agree with you guys, I was on a Wild/Sour buying kick last night and went by the name. Misleading yes, but the fantastic beer inside made up for expecting a tart beer.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
tmagee
Recipes 

Greetings Forum... I write the recipes and design the labels at Lagunitas... The false advertising thing is interesting... In the very old world of wine making, WILD, means fermented with the wild (non-culture) yeasts found on the fruit when crushed. No bugs invited or allowed. I chose this name because in the academic brewing realms, WILD mostly refers to a specific gene that separates classic Culture yeasts from Wild yeasts. Brettanomyces has that wild (POF or Phenolic Off-Flavor producing) gene and so do most every recognizably Belgian yeast. I used the Westmalle Yeast. There's no doubt that beers fermented with bugs are wild (with a lower case 'w'), they really are, but they are not in the least the exclusive determinant of Wild-ness, at least not technically. I'm glad you're digging the beer either way!

Cheers

Old 11-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Welcome to the forum!

Like I said, these have been consistently pleasing to me.
If I go to the liquor store, and I'm not sure what I want, I know that the Lagunitas is going to be good.

Being in the graphic design field, I also like the labels (my wife always accuses me of using the labels to decide which wine I get her).

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 12-02-2010, 02:20 AM   #8
jonnyj
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagee View Post
Greetings Forum... I write the recipes and design the labels at Lagunitas... The false advertising thing is interesting... In the very old world of wine making, WILD, means fermented with the wild (non-culture) yeasts found on the fruit when crushed. No bugs invited or allowed. I chose this name because in the academic brewing realms, WILD mostly refers to a specific gene that separates classic Culture yeasts from Wild yeasts. Brettanomyces has that wild (POF or Phenolic Off-Flavor producing) gene and so do most every recognizably Belgian yeast. I used the Westmalle Yeast. There's no doubt that beers fermented with bugs are wild (with a lower case 'w'), they really are, but they are not in the least the exclusive determinant of Wild-ness, at least not technically. I'm glad you're digging the beer either way!

Cheers
First off, love the beer and the labels!
Agree with much of what has already been said. Only thing I'm confused about is that I thought the original Lil Sumpin was fermented with a Belgian yeast strain as well? Am I incorrect about this? We've been referring to it as a Belgian Pale Ale because we were under that impression. I have a bomber of the Wild in my fridge right now, which until just now, I expected to be a sour beer.

Anyways, just like to get some more info on the original since this is by far my favorite beer Lagunitas has put out. I can drink it like a session beer, it's that good. Of course, after 5, I realize that it's most definetly not a session beer!

Keep the great artwork coming.

Cheers!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
MileHighBrewer
Recipes 

I went and purchased the remaining stock at the store lol. I still have 5 left and I'm holding onto them for at least.....3 or 4 more days

Old 12-03-2010, 02:43 AM   #10
calpyro
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 18 Posts

Tony,
Love the beer and thanks for all of the support for the home brew community!

I think that the BN is going to feature either this beer or Little Sumpin in an upcomming Can You Brew It. I can't wait to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagee View Post

Cheers

Quick Reply