Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Just tried Bell's Two Hearted Ale...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
Flyin' Lion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sause View Post
Thats the exact opposite of what I got from it the multiple times I've tried it. There is no hop flavor or aroma in that beer. There is only bitterness, and not that much of it either. I would rank Two Hearted in the bottom quarter of the IPA's I have tried.
Just what exactly does have hop flavor in your opinion sause?

To get a measure of what someone else considers "hoppy," do you like Sierra Nevada, Harpoon, Hop Stoopid?

I love Two Hearted Ale and know plenty of other people who do as well, but it doesn't make someone wrong because they don't (just sayin'). I too think you may have just had a bad one, but who knows.

cercueil, what part of Jersey are you from, the wife is from Wayne and we get up there frequently enough--I'd be happy to provide you with a second chance at what I think is a great beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #12
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd be interested to find out how old these bottles are that you guys tried.

There's a four-digit batch number on the bottle. Will you take a look at Bell's website and see how old the bottles are? (Or post the number here?)

bellsbeer.com

Old 06-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #13
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5368 Times on 5227 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Hmm, TH is a regular staple for me around here. Always seems full of flavor and plenty of aroma. It might not be for everyone, but I'd have to say it's a very nice IPA IMO.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:37 PM   #14
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Check your batch code on their website and see how old your beer is.

...I'll bet ya it aint very fresh. Print it out the date and go yell at your supplier for selling it to you at full price.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:11 AM   #15
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I truly enjoyed the first few Bell's 2 hearted that I tried, in fact I enjoyed them so much that I made the clone recipe. I bought another bottle last week to compare to my brew, and it tasted TOTALLY different from the last time. Very malty, maybe biscuity(I'm no beer judge), not much hop flavor. No idea how that happened. Give it another shot(a fresh one), I think you'll enjoy it, like so many of us do. If you get a "good" one, and still don't like it, we'll leave you alone about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 06-23-2009, 01:17 AM   #16
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Better yet, try it on tap if you get a chance. I've never had a bad one on tap.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #17
cercueil
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
I'd be interested to find out how old these bottles are that you guys tried.

There's a four-digit batch number on the bottle. Will you take a look at Bell's website and see how old the bottles are? (Or post the number here?)

bellsbeer.com

So I got the batch number from my friend and it turns out that it was packaged on May 11th, 2009. I also read Zymurgy last night and out of about 20,000 votes in America I think it was voted something like 3rd or 4th. Not sure when I will be able to get this one again but I will try it and post the results.

Up Next
Oaked IPA?

Old 06-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #18
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2138 Times on 1530 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Wow, I've never really thought of TH as being a mild IPA! Always decent hop bitterness with tons of flavor and aroma! Then again, I'm only 1.5 hours from the brewery, so maybe I get fresher bottles... At the moment it's my favorite IPA.

But of course it's NOT a IIPA! They got HOPSLAM! for that, which is very awesum IMHO.

TH is like a fresh hit of hops flavor in liquid form. Hopslam! is like a mouthful of fresh hops!

Old 06-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #19
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cercueil View Post
So I got the batch number from my friend and it turns out that it was packaged on May 11th, 2009. I also read Zymurgy last night and out of about 20,000 votes in America I think it was voted something like 3rd or 4th. Not sure when I will be able to get this one again but I will try it and post the results.
Interesting...Perhaps you got a bad batch. I have it fairly frequently and unless they are old, they've always been mighty tasty. It's not the hoppiest beer on the block but very satisfying.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #20
cercueil
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I went on vacation to PA this past weekend and grabbed a case of 2 hearted and a case of Kalamazoo. I am a big fan of Kalamazoo and Expedition and wanted to give 2 hearted another chance. I tried it again and to be honest it really isn't good. It tasted ok but for some reason it tasted like it had too much caramel flavor in it (caramel malt I guess??). I think that overshadows the bitterness and flavor.

Up Next
Oaked IPA?

Quick Reply