Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Iron Hill in Maple Shade NJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
dzlater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Default Iron Hill in Maple Shade NJ

Iron Hill Brewery
They are opening on Monday the 20th. I am stoked, it's the first brewpub
that's close to my home. Has anyone had their beers? How's the food?
Do they offer an AHA discount?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Their seasonals and cask-conditioned releases are quite good. The Pig Iron Porter on cask is excellent, and the last time I was there they offered a Bourbon-Barrel Tripel that was divine.

Food is always good, IME.

AHA discount is 20%, at least at the one in Lancaster.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd guess these will be in your opening lineup at least:

Belgian White
Hefe Weizen
India Black Ale
Ironbound Ale
Light Lager
Pig Iron Porter
Raspberry Wheat
Vienna Red Lager
West Coast Gold

Maple Shade Blog

I agree with fly that the porter is the best of the standard lineup & their rotating taps/cask are generally the star of the show. Food is typically decent at worst and usually pretty tasty. The calamari is pretty damn fantastic.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:30 AM   #4
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

had some of their stuff at the Battleship NJ beerfest in June, was quite impressed. definitely worth a visit at some point.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:31 AM   #5
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3002 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 28

There are a couple around me and i have only been a couple times but I am not a fan at all. I think it is pretty overpriced food for what it is and the beer that I had was mediocre at best. But thats just me. A lot of people really like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 07-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Cauldron7
Recipes 

I have been to several of their locations, And i frequent the West Chester and Media locations. The wife and i have always enjoyed the food, but it had gotten a little pricey lately. I have found that the beer quality varies by location, as the brewers differ by location. I can tell you that the NJ location's brewer left West Chester to open the new brewery, and i have always liked his seasonal beers very much. the house beers are what they are, but the Porter is nice. Keep an Eye out for the Belgian Styles he will put together over there, I have always found that that was his best area.

Also, If you plan on going often, sign yourself up for the mug club, its really a great deal, and you get invited to special tastings and other events like that.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It bears repeating - AHA discount to Iron Hill is 20%!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauldron7 View Post
I have been to several of their locations, And i frequent the West Chester and Media locations. The wife and i have always enjoyed the food, but it had gotten a little pricey lately. I have found that the beer quality varies by location, as the brewers differ by location. I can tell you that the NJ location's brewer left West Chester to open the new brewery, and i have always liked his seasonal beers very much. the house beers are what they are, but the Porter is nice. Keep an Eye out for the Belgian Styles he will put together over there, I have always found that that was his best area.

Also, If you plan on going often, sign yourself up for the mug club, its really a great deal, and you get invited to special tastings and other events like that.
What, are they a chain? Kind of turns me off when they have several locations (how many?). I guess that is ok if that is what you like but I prefer to know that I am at the one and only otherwise it is no big deal.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:37 AM   #9
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
What, are they a chain? Kind of turns me off when they have several locations (how many?). I guess that is ok if that is what you like but I prefer to know that I am at the one and only otherwise it is no big deal.
Yea they are a chain, While generally I am not a fan of chain restaurants, I am still glad I'll have a brew pub close to home. Unfortunatly I can't make it there tonight for the opening but I'll get there sometime this week.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

8 locations and a website:
Iron Hill Brewery - Home

IIRC, the menus are somewhat different at each location and the individual brewers seem to have a pretty good degree of freedom with what they brew outside of the standard lineup. (West Chester gained a real solid brewer when Larry moved over from North Wales)

Chain? perhaps but it's nothing like say ruby tuesday or TGI McScratchy's. Course, NJ isn't exactly burning down the house with a slew of brewpubs either...

Quick Reply