Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Hoppy beers a trend?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #81
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

It's hilarious how misinformed some of you are with the naive personal claims about IPAs and brewers of IPAs. You can really pinpoint the newbs and haters.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #82
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailingguitar View Post
You want to see how good a brewer is? Ask to taste his Pilsner.
Although I continue to try, I have NEVER had a Pils that I liked. And I have tried quite a few. They just taste bland and boring.

Maybe they are "easy to make", and "hide flaws well", and perhaps only sub-par brewers make them. But, if that is the case, I guess I will side with the sub-par brewers. Most of these "balanced" or "malt-forward" brews bore my taste buds. I like them bitter, and I like them to punch me in the face when I drink them.

The biggest reason that I started brewing was because most beers aren't "hoppy" enough for me. I often found myself sampling a brew and thinking, man, I wonder what this would taste like if we upped the hop flavor a few notches?

So I am sorry that the majority in this post get hurt when they go to the bar and see a string of IPA's and very few malt bombs. Some of us just like hops.....A LOT. Apparently quite a few of us, given the "trend".

Old 04-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #83
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin View Post
Although I continue to try, I have NEVER had a Pils that I liked. And I have tried quite a few. They just taste bland and boring.

Maybe they are "easy to make", and "hide flaws well", and perhaps only sub-par brewers make them. But, if that is the case, I guess I will side with the sub-par brewers. Most of these "balanced" or "malt-forward" brews bore my taste buds. I like them bitter, and I like them to punch me in the face when I drink them.

The biggest reason that I started brewing was because most beers aren't "hoppy" enough for me. I often found myself sampling a brew and thinking, man, I wonder what this would taste like if we upped the hop flavor a few notches?

So I am sorry that the majority in this post get hurt when they go to the bar and see a string of IPA's and very few malt bombs. Some of us just like hops.....A LOT. Apparently quite a few of us, given the "trend".
Whether a person likes or dislikes pilsner isn't the point, they are difficult to brew properly because flaws in process pop out so clearly. Also, never said that ALL brewers that make the extremely hoppy beers are unskilled, I said SOME, and that they are easier to make than some other styles. This has the odd side effect of some brewers that are not as skilled as others making beers that are popular in the style. If it does it for you, that's great, have fun. For my taste, I find excessive bitterness to be unpleasant.

Considering the fact that I was brewing at Rogue at the time Brutal Bitter (originally called I2PA) was first brewed (1995), and actually assisted in the formulation, I would be the last to say that all of those beers and their brewers are bad. Two Hearted Ale is another beer that I have brewed on the commercial level, started at Bell's in '89, and while it isn't as huge as most of the beers in question, it is one of the earlier highly-hopped beers.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 04-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #84
Jon73
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerbelcher44 View Post
I think its a rediscovery more then a trend . I drink what I like ....i dont believe there is that many sheep out there drinking beer just to be trendy
IMO, that is an untrue statement. At least here in Southern Oregon. From what I've seen from the local brewpub/nano's/beer festivals, there are people there that may have been beer drinkers without the trend, but now that beer drinking is en vogue, they are creating a trend out of it. Whether that is good or bad is up to you.

And since you mentioned sheep, I'm tired of fighting past the bleating hoards of beards, skinny jeans, vans, and wool caps to find a seat at the local pub.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #85
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon73 View Post
IMO, that is an untrue statement. At least here in Southern Oregon. From what I've seen from the local brewpub/nano's/beer festivals, there are people there that may have been beer drinkers without the trend, but now that beer drinking is en vogue, they are creating a trend out of it. Whether that is good or bad is up to you.

And since you mentioned sheep, I'm tired of fighting past the bleating hoards of beards, skinny jeans, vans, and wool caps to find a seat at the local pub.
That's an interesting point... people that may not have been beer drinkers before getting into craft beers because it is trendy... hmm Is it a good thing or not? I think, ultimately it is. I think that when the 'trend' passes that most of those folks would find it hard to go back to drinking BMC, the craft brewers will still see sales and while there is not always going to be growth, the worst we are likely to see is an occasional flattening. As to the issue with having to fight for a seat, well... I don't know what to say there except that I would rather have to fight for a seat than my fave brewery go under because no one was buying their beer... *shrug*

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 04-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #86
harrydrez
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 34

The only thing I don't really like about "hoppy" beers is most stores around here don't know how to handle them. They have a very short shelf life and need to be moved quickly.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #87
Gitmoe
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You should all try working at a LHBS and telling customers you don't really like hoppy beers... The look on their faces is priceless. People act like I'm crazy for not being a hop head. I feel like they assume all "Beer Nuts" are also "Hop Heads" for some reason. I respect and appreciate well crafted IPAs. I brew IPAs against my better judgement and to my wife's dismay (she's a malty fan as well). I can't help customers if I don't know how to make a good IPA. Knowing a lot of the local brewers and owners of breweries in the Philly area, I can say several have told me they brew IPAs because it pays the bills right now. IPAs are really popular and it's much easier to get a bar to put on a keg of IPA than something like a Bock or Munich Helles (both styles I really love). I'm working at a beer/food fest today (farephiladelphia.com) and expect to see the majority of the breweries in attendance pouring at least one IPA. I think the IPA craze will calm down eventually. It's just part of the US craft brew resurgence which is still relatively young and is a good thing for all of us no matter how you look at it. If IPAs are the reason I can visit 11 different breweries within an hour of my house, then bring on the IPA!

Old 04-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #88
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailingguitar View Post
Sad fact is that beers like that are relatively easy to make and hide flaws well. Some sub-par brewers make popular, highly hopped IPAs... they make a pale-amber wort and throw a bucket load of hops at it, that's it. I am not saying that there aren't examples that are excellent beers brewed by skilled brewers, just that they are one of the easier styles to make without skill. You want to see how good a brewer is? Ask to taste his Pilsner.
So, what you're saying is that some peoples palates aren't developed enough to distinguish a good IPA from a bad one. And because of that it is easier to brew a good IPA than a good Pilsner.

I would argue that it takes more to brew an IPA that stands out from the others than it does a Pils. Good Pilsners rely heavily on technique and have a relatively narrow style space. This is something that can be learned. A top notch American IPA takes creativity along with skill. It's a style with more room for both success and failure for those who can tell the difference.

Billy-Klubb

Old 04-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #89
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
So, what you're saying is that some peoples palates aren't developed enough to distinguish a good IPA from a bad one. And because of that it is easier to brew a good IPA than a good Pilsner.

I would argue that it takes more to brew an IPA that stands out from the others than it does a Pils. Good Pilsners rely heavily on technique and have a relatively narrow style space. This is something that can be learned. A top notch American IPA takes creativity along with skill. It's a style with more room for both success and failure for those who can tell the difference.
While it is true that the average consumer doesn't have a developed palate, that is not what I'm saying. I would agree that it takes creative skill to brew an exceptional IPA, that is true... but we aren't talking 'exceptional' beers here, I said 'popular', as we all know those two terms don't necessarily coincide!

Old 04-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #90
Randy_Bugger
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Beer trends according to google:
IPA vs. Stout vs. Lager vs. Pale Ale

Clickable link ^

Quick Reply