Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Hoppy beers a trend?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #71
shoreman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydrez

Lagers are a rather unexplored area of craft brew. There is this awesome brewery nearby called Jack's Abby that brews an amazing "India Pale Lager" and even a "Cascadian Swarzbier".

lol, hops aren't going anywhere
Jacks is great - ya good lagers are rare in craft.
Milds as well - I've had one bottled version in all the years I've been interested in craft beer (pretty things)

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 04:47 AM   #72
roymullins
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You get grass, onion, pine, cat pee,,,,but you also get grapefruit, orange, lemon, tropical fruit, and yes wet ganja.------------------------------------------
I got in trouble for mentioning ganja on here...

Old 03-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #73
azmark
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymullins View Post
You get grass, onion, pine, cat pee,,,,but you also get grapefruit, orange, lemon, tropical fruit, and yes wet g(*&).------------------------------------------
I got in trouble for mentioning ganja on here...
Brewing with it, illegal, and frowned upon on most public forums. Having your hops produce a similar smell, and describing it that way would not be illegal. Hops being a close relative, there is a good chance in bringing up similar smells.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #74
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

I think the trend is about "extreme" beers. The bottle shops in my area have a huge selection of imperial something-or-others. Whether it be a 100 IBU IIPA or a huge RIS, the trend (in my observation) is towards extreme flavors in malt-forward and hop-forward beers.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #75
Beerbelcher44
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think its a rediscovery more then a trend . I drink what I like ....i dont believe there is that many sheep out there drinking beer just to be trendy

Old 03-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #76
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerbelcher44
I think its a rediscovery more then a trend . I drink what I like ....i dont believe there is that many sheep out there drinking beer just to be trendy
You bring up a good point - I know when I first got interested in craft it was all IPAs- maybe it's just that there are so many noobs that are getting interested in craft that IPAs get such a surge.

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 03-31-2013, 03:12 AM   #77
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerbelcher44 View Post
In my experience most non craft drinkers can't deal with IPAs. I think an easier transition beer is a Belgian whit. I think it may be more due to craft brewers loving IPAs than having high demand for IPAs.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #78
mrshaund
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I wish I could get into the whole IPA thing I have had the privilege of having heady toppers which i did like after a few cans, and some APA like zombie dust and two hearted but thats the extent for me while i prefur Beers like Munich Helles, and stouts

On a side note I would love to make a clone of Zombie Dust

Happy Dad Brewing

Old 04-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #79
Nomad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Yeah, a trend, but its something that has gotten craft beer into shelves all over the country. "Hoppy" is a taste/flavor attribute that people can easily identify and talk about, so I think brewers have responded when people say they love it. It's not a "fad," like rainbow afro wigs or fish emblems on people's cars, but a trend that will rise and fall with popularity. I'm sure once the general public gets the idea of a Malty beer, that will gain in popularity too. Another example: I went to a beer tasting of 17 awful, over-spiced, Christmas ales this December. That's another trend that is getting people drinking craft beer, and one that will hopefully, like hoppy beers, eventually have people asking for flavorful, but more balanced beer in the future.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #80
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Sad fact is that beers like that are relatively easy to make and hide flaws well. Some sub-par brewers make popular, highly hopped IPAs... they make a pale-amber wort and throw a bucket load of hops at it, that's it. I am not saying that there aren't examples that are excellent beers brewed by skilled brewers, just that they are one of the easier styles to make without skill. You want to see how good a brewer is? Ask to taste his Pilsner.

Trend? I suppose so. Not saying that is a good or bad thing in itself. I say trend not fad, because I don't think it will disappear entirely, nor do I think it is necessarily invalid. As a trend I can accept it, like them or not, because I think anything that makes people excited about beer is a good thing.

For my part, I am not hugely found of the extremely bitter beers, never did it for me. I have always been more of a malt forward kind of guy, or at least balanced. I like German and Czech lagers, traditional English ales, etc.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Quick Reply