Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Hoppy beers a trend?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #61
roymullins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The IPA trend has send me back to lagers- even at times back to cheap lagers/lawnmower beers... I want to be able to enjoy and sip a smooth brew without having to make a face and have to gargle after drinking a glass full of fresh grass clippings... enough already! I hope to see a return of nice brown ales, red ales, smooth porters and quaffable stouts- even a real pale ale that has a nice hop bite but is balanced with malt and alcohol.. instead of a 9% mess with a half a pound if dandelion leaves in it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #62
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymullins View Post
The IPA trend has send me back to lagers- even at times back to cheap lagers/lawnmower beers... I want to be able to enjoy and sip a smooth brew without having to make a face and have to gargle after drinking a glass full of fresh grass clippings... enough already! I hope to see a return of nice brown ales, red ales, smooth porters and quaffable stouts- even a real pale ale that has a nice hop bite but is balanced with malt and alcohol.. instead of a 9% mess with a half a pound if dandelion leaves in it!
there is a certain je ne sais quoi about a lager, no doubt. it is absolutely the most unexplored territory in the craft beer world.

на здравје!

Old 03-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #63
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by high5apparatus View Post
Samuel Smith's India Ale (my favorite)
Burton Bridge Empire India Pale Ale (my second favorite)
St. Peter's India Pale Ale was a skunky mess but that may have more to do with the green bottles they use.
Fuller's India Pale Ale would be my favorite if I could find it.
I did try Bass' India Pale Ale. It is the BMC version of an English IPA.
thanks for the recommendations! i'll see what i can find at my craft beer store.

на здравје!

Old 03-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #64
harrydrez
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymullins View Post
Lagers are a rather unexplored area of craft brew. There is this awesome brewery nearby called Jack's Abby that brews an amazing "India Pale Lager" and even a "Cascadian Swarzbier".

lol, hops aren't going anywhere

Old 03-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #65
inthesound
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

This thread is funny.

Styles I want to see more of: Kölsch, ESB, Maibock (or just bocks in general), and hey, why not, altbier. A local brewpub makes a wonderful sticke alt.

Agreed on the craft brew/lager comment. There's a place in town that only does lagers. I still need to make it in there.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #66
high5apparatus
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 59

In St. Louis, Morgan Street Brewery does an India Pale Lager that is very good, Urban Chestnut does many lagers, and one of the best beers Civil Life Brewery makes is their Vienna Lager. But they all say that they can't make them all the time because for these small brewers, a tied up fermenter is lost money.

Manta Brewing
Bottled: Chili Beer, Bourbon Aged Apfelwein Cider
Fermentation: Bourbon Honey Ale, Olde English IPA
Pipeline: Citra Pounding XIPA, Vanilla Cream Ale
http://www.brewtoad.com/users/10067

Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #67
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hoppy beers were a trend 5 years ago

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 03-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #68
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Funny how fired up people get.

Brew what you like. Drink what you like. If your local pub is only carrying "hop bombs" and it ticks you off, then go introduce yourself (in a friendly way) to the owner, and maybe ask him/her about it. I know that the owner of a local pub here in town is very open to suggestions from the public.

Long live hops and triple-digit-IBU bombs!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #69
GrogNerd
bad beer makes puppies sad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 936 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin View Post
Funny how fired up people get.

Brew what you like. Drink what you like. If your local pub is only carrying "hop bombs" and it ticks you off, then go introduce yourself (in a friendly way) to the owner, and maybe ask him/her about it. I know that the owner of a local pub here in town is very open to suggestions from the public.

Long live hops and triple-digit-IBU bombs!
a wise man once said, "it's all beer, it's all good"

wait. no, he was an idiot. disregard anything he says

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 03-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #70
azmark
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

They will remain trendy because "you can't get what I get". AmIPAs require freshness. Almost impossible to do a good one nationally, or on an extremely large scale.

You also have more variety in the AmIPA style as most other beers combined. You get grass, onion, pine, cat pee,,,,but you also get grapefruit, orange, lemon, tropical fruit, and yes wet ganja. Fresh the combinations can be wonderful,,, give it a month or two, or a few weeks under the fluorescents in your local store, and they turn to bitter grass and pine if you're lucky.

Plus it is almost impossible to get the mix just perfect every time (hop chemistry changes lots compared to grain year to year), so a Hop Stoopid this year may just be good, where last year it was divine. And it's a chase to find that perfect mix again!

Quick Reply