Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Hoppy beers a trend?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #41
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 29

So now that you have impugned my character, may I ask what your credentials are? Have you ever taken an exam as comprehensive as the BJCP? Have you any idea what goes into it?

If it were easy, anyone could do it. If you think you are better than I then by all means go prove it. The world needs more qualified judges. If you think my skills are lacking then dilute my shortcomings with your knowledge.

Insults are however the refuge of a person who is losing an argument.

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #42
mjdonnelly68
Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 175

I think that IPAs have definitely established themselves as the primary american craft 'style'. Can't see that changing.

I do think that all the double and triple IPAs have tested the limits of the average beer drinker's palate - so the IBU space race may be a trend.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Francis Albert Sinatra

Old 03-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #43
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyePeeA View Post
I'm always up for "intellectual debate"... But it is the intellectual part of that phrase that matters more than a slew of fragmented & misinformed opinions. I have no problem owning if I am wrong about something if it is indeed the case. Can you say the same?
Your response changed after I first read it so I did not see this part.

I am always willing to be wrong, I'm just not sure there's any way either of us can prove that we are right. There are objective and subjective measurements at play here and I'm not sure we will get past that.

You imply I have slighted every American by repeating that which is part of the BJCP style guidelines. I do not think it is incorrect to say the style now known as an Imperial India Pale Ale is a style originating in the US and grew out of a society where excesses are celebrated. How else did it come to be do you think? In order to understand the style as a style, the history is as important as the ingredients. In fact (at least when I took the test) there was as much emphasis on the history as the ingredients themselves.

I gave examples of beers I thought were good; were they not good beers, exemplary of the style indicated? I don't have the names for ones I did not favor written down because I simply never intended to drink them again.

What about what I have written is simply wrong (opinions are however ... well, you know what they are, including mine)? If we are to have an intellectual conversation you at least have to come at me with reasons what I've said is wrong. Otherwise it's "I think" vs. "You think" and no argument was ever settled that way (at least on the Internet). I am a voracious reader, maybe you can point me towards some additional literature with which I can bolster my knowledge in this area.

Lee Bussy

Old 03-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #44
EyePeeA
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's not me vs. you; It's you vs. reality. There is absolutely nothing wrong with preferring other styles of beer, saying so, and owning it. But when you go on and on about defining what IPAs should be and how others should approach the style just because you read it in the BJCP curriculum, well then I just have to laugh. I would appreciate that you not generalize how an IPA should taste like for the consuming public or how professional and amateur brewers should go about brewing their hoppy beers.

It seems like you are angry that you cannot fit IPAs into a little box, perhaps for a better personal understanding because they have always eluded you. This must bother you being that you are so hung up on style requirements. An excellent American IPA does not have to be within a certain amount of IBUs, SRM, starting gravity, final ABV or even be composed of American malt or yeast. We see this everyday with beers like Hopslam, Mikkeller 1000, Racer 5, Hop Rod Rye, 75 Minute, 120 Minute, All Day IPA, Route 113, and Torpedo. I advise throwing away the book and start trusting your own senses for once.

Lastly, my credentials are tasting and brewing more IPAs than yourself, and knowing more about their evolution in general it seems. After reading your ignorant comments about the style and its appreciators, it appears that you are still stuck in the 1800s. Just because you took a standard exam on beer and now you think you are some kind of authority on beer does not actually make you an authority.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #45
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Now kids I am going to have to send you both into a corner

In short both of you are wrong. One of you is a judge and cannot see that the other beer beer is not in front of you but rather a loosely defined beer in front of the other guy. Heck I brew a few beers that I have no clue what they are nor do I care.

The other guy and sorry I do not remember names very well You cannot seem to understand that since he is a judge of beers he will use the guidelines laid out for judging beers. You may not like the way he judges beer but guess what he is still a judge.

And this is why I brew beer for my taste and do not enter competitions.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #46
EyePeeA
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'll agree with that. My point is that sometimes formal education, especially on a topic as subjective as beer, has the opposite effect. A lot of the BJCP folk can exclaim about being supposed experts and yet have no idea what's going on. It's fascinating.

Learning about all of the different styles and forming general, but flexible descriptions of them is fine. But it does not mean we should all brew like robots and hit all of the BJCP "American Pale Ale" (10A) guidelines to the letter. After all, they are guidelines, not requirements.

Cheers

Old 03-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #47
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

I'm sorry but what does this have to do with hoppy beers being or not being a trend? Could we just get back on topic which I thought was an interesting one, at least more interesting than whether or not most beers sold as IPAs today are actually IPAs or Dr Frankenhops' monsters. I've stated that I think they are a trend but that I think we will still brew with more hops than we previously did in the past.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #48
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Hoppy beers are not a trend.

Overly hopped (Hop-Bombs) are a fad that will change over time but IPA's and APA's are an American staple now and will not be going away.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 03-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #49
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This has turned into something that seems like a conversation with my wife - where the answer (and challenge) is something other than that which I just said (or thought I said). I'm going to go ahead and unsub from the thread, allowing y'all to have the last word and me to have some peace of mind.

If you're ever in KC drop me a line. We can discuss over a beer - which HAS to work better than this has.

Lee Bussy

People Like This 
Old 03-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #50
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

You can only truly have debates about beer...while drinking beer!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Quick Reply