Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Hoppy beers a trend?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #11
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Two types of people:

1. Those who like hoppy beers.
2. Those who are wrong.

j/k. I hope that the "trend" never goes away. Hops are amazing - the more the better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 04:40 AM   #12
jbguzzi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I love all the responses, it is interesting getting a take from folks who brew. It has changed how i view beers in general. I think good IPAs will withstand the hop craziness, with Pliny leading the pack and relatively pedestrian examples that are superb like Alesmith's IPA will stick around without the hype. I think its fun, and i love hoppy beers, but I can see other styles getting second shelf to bombastic terrible examples of overly hopped brews when they should not. Consumerism at its finest!

Old 03-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #13
Whut
Mmmmm, beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1651 Times on 1547 Posts
Likes Given: 8590

Pliney, Sculpin, etc. I love beer hoppy or otherwise.

Get off my lawn! - shecky
Shut up, old man!- Sharona

Old 03-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
Ply318ci
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I love IPAs and hoppy beer but it is like the Chopper motorcycle craze of the early 2000s (American Chopper and Biker Build off are a few examples). People are all into it and things go from normal to extreme and then suddenly they lose interest. It will happen with IPAs as well they will never go away just taper off and the next big thing will come out. Just like the Cafe Racer trend in motorcycles now nobody cared about it a few years ago now people are paying insane money for the most extreme Cafe Racer the can get. Sorry to use motorcycle analogies but it is all I could think of right now.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

This is why I like Pale Ales (English or American). Hop presence, flavor and aroma without overwhelming the malt balance like an IPA.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
EyePeeA
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Not a new trend at all. Hoppy IPAs have been around for years. If you dislike them now, force yourseld to try and brew them over and over again and they're more like an addiction.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I appreciate most styles of beer, but I want intensely flavorful IPA's in my glass 90% of the time. I really dont care what anyone else wants and frankly a decrease in hop demand(and price) would be welcomed by this brewer.

I think its less of a trend that the easiest entry point for a lot of craft beer neophytes and there will always be more of the less experienced beer drinkers than the high-falutin alcoholics that most of us are.

Now the question as to why hop forward beers seem to be the most popular entry point to craft beer is the more interesting question and I don't think its supply driven BTW.

Also...WTF..it's a 5 letter word....PLINY, say it with me P-L-I-N-Y...why is it so hard for people to spell.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
jsberry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes, it is just a trend. Welcome to 2009.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #19
roymullins
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've tried Pliny... not impressed- take a decent craft beer- pour it into a pint glass and dump some of your fresh grass clippings in it and you have Pliny...

When I go to a brew pub or brewery I always ask them... "what is your best?" They always suggest the IPA... the @#$%ing IPA! Since when did good beer mean high alcohol and an overdose of hops? Hopefully things will come back around and there will be more session-type beers with an emphasis on malt and flavor and balance rather than vegetable matter and ABV %...

Old 03-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #20
EyePeeA
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymullins View Post
I've tried Pliny... not impressed- take a decent craft beer- pour it into a pint glass and dump some of your fresh grass clippings in it and you have Pliny...

When I go to a brew pub or brewery I always ask them... "what is your best?" They always suggest the IPA... the @#$%ing IPA! Since when did good beer mean high alcohol and an overdose of hops? Hopefully things will come back around and there will be more session-type beers with an emphasis on malt and flavor and balance rather than vegetable matter and ABV %...
Disagree 1000%. I'm sorry you had a single bad experience with Pliny. But a fresh to death bottle, or a draft run from clean lines, is like sipping on Angel's tears. It sounds like you 1) dislike IPAs or 2) dislike hops... perhaps both? IPAs are not supposed to be balanced. Their unique offering of unbalance, held against a huge array of balanced beer styles, is what makes them special.

Pliny is one of the few extremely well made IIPAs on par with the likes of Heady Topper. Both have a lot of that dank marijuana goodness that so many other IIPAs fail to harness.

Quick Reply