Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Hoppy beers a trend?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #111
faithfull44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

I think that while it might be trendy now to like IPA's and really hoppy beer the style is not ever going to completely go away. The really popular beer may not be really hoppy IPA's but there will still be a good amount of them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #112
faithfull44
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

The hipster profile isnt entirely accurate either or you havnt notice the hipsters that just drink PBR? I think it has to do more with the age of the "hipsters" and the local mindset they have that might make alot of them like the craft beer scene but I also know plenty of older people and even people in the stereotypical jock/pounding budlight profile that love craft beer. Craft is just becoming very big as people realize there is more to beer then BMC. Though it is very surprising how expensive beer got even more popular in a recession.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #113
trujunglist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 104

I think this is being over thought a little. Even older people are turning onto craft beer. It just so happens that the polar opposite of a BMC lager is probably a hopped up IPA.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #114
Keith66
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 265

The saturation of the market with extremely bitter, over-hopped (IMO) beers is the main reason I got into homebrew. It really tweaks my feathers when I go into a store, restaurant, bar or even a microbrewery and can't find a beer that won't twist my face in a knot. I often ask the waitress to list the beers, then, disappointed and frustrated, order a soda. I can't stand any IPA I've ever tasted, much less an IIPA or IIIPA. And I've sometimes come home from the grocery store with a 6er of something new, tasted one, poured it down the drain and given the other 5 to a friend. What's the point? I've actually heard people, even a homebrewing friend of mine, say that because of the similarity between hops and "some other flowering plants" that the hops almost get you... well you know where I'm going with this. It's ridiculous. Even the pales and ambers out here in California taste like hop-rockets. I just brewed up a Bavarian Hefeweizen kit from one of the online HB stores and lo and behold, it was noticeably bitter compared to the German beer it claimed to mimic. Most people selling beer in any form in this country, or at least in California, assume that you want lots of hop bitterness. I think there is definitely a trend toward hoppy beers, and those are the "cool" or fad beers to drink. I don't think IPAs and the like will or should ever disappear though. That's a silly idea given how many hundreds of years ago that style was established, and why, and how long it has been brewed since. It won't disappear any sooner than the helles or bocks or true weissbiers or many of the Belgian styles I like will disappear. All styles have their place in history and on the bar or beer list. Hop-monsters just happen to be all the rage lately, and any smart business will stock what sells, even the LHBS. Doesn't mean I have to drink it though. Yuck!!! I just brew what I like (and add the hops later in the boil).

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Apple Cider, Helles Bock, Bohemian Pilsner
wailingguitar Likes This 
Old 04-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #115
Jon73
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith66 View Post
The saturation of the market with extremely bitter, over-hopped (IMO) beers is the main reason I got into homebrew. It really tweaks my feathers when I go into a store, restaurant, bar or even a microbrewery and can't find a beer that won't twist my face in a knot. I often ask the waitress to list the beers, then, disappointed and frustrated, order a soda. I can't stand any IPA I've ever tasted, much less an IIPA or IIIPA. And I've sometimes come home from the grocery store with a 6er of something new, tasted one, poured it down the drain and given the other 5 to a friend. What's the point? I've actually heard people, even a homebrewing friend of mine, say that because of the similarity between hops and "some other flowering plants" that the hops almost get you... well you know where I'm going with this. It's ridiculous. Even the pales and ambers out here in California taste like hop-rockets. I just brewed up a Bavarian Hefeweizen kit from one of the online HB stores and lo and behold, it was noticeably bitter compared to the German beer it claimed to mimic. Most people selling beer in any form in this country, or at least in California, assume that you want lots of hop bitterness. I think there is definitely a trend toward hoppy beers, and those are the "cool" or fad beers to drink. I don't think IPAs and the like will or should ever disappear though. That's a silly idea given how many hundreds of years ago that style was established, and why, and how long it has been brewed since. It won't disappear any sooner than the helles or bocks or true weissbiers or many of the Belgian styles I like will disappear. All styles have their place in history and on the bar or beer list. Hop-monsters just happen to be all the rage lately, and any smart business will stock what sells, even the LHBS. Doesn't mean I have to drink it though. Yuck!!! I just brew what I like (and add the hops later in the boil).
You're absolutely right. Although I've noticed that "session" beers are becoming more and more popular. I've gone through the hop-bomb phase and am becoming more interested in the late addition, hop-bursting, flavor addition with a minimal bitterness addition. The local pubs haven't fully caught onto this trend yet, but I feel as though it's coming. The high gravity, jaw locking, bitters still have their place, but a nice, flavorful, moderate alcohol beer will keep people in their seats longer and keep husbands from getting too plowed while mowing the lawn and burning some meat on the BBQ.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #116
HOPJONES79
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moski View Post
It does seem like thats all anyone asks about. Especially the "beer guys". I tend to look on the IPA craze like I do the "real beer" BMC guys.
I'll be happy when the chatter levels off. Of course ambers and pales are as hoppy as I tend to go.
Its not so much that IPA's are popular. Craft beer in general is "in". I dont see that changing ever. IPA's are in because people started realizing that there is so much more to beer than yellow bubbles. I am a complete hop junky. I have not always been and if I'm following a trend then I would have to say it's a first.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #117
high5apparatus
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Just published. I'm not condoning or promoting the article, just adding it to the discussion.

Against Hoppy Beer
The craft beer industry’s love affair with hops is alienating people who don’t like bitter brews.
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/d...b_share_chunky

Manta Brewing
Bottled: Chili Beer, Bourbon Aged Apfelwein Cider
Fermentation: Bourbon Honey Ale, Olde English IPA
Pipeline: Citra Pounding XIPA, Vanilla Cream Ale
http://www.brewtoad.com/users/10067

Old 05-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #118
jglazer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Has anyone looked at the supply and demand data? Do you think as many nano/micro/craft breweries would have been able to open without the surge of consumer spending we've seen over the past few years? Is that surge due to hoppy beers? I don't have data in front of me to prove anything, but anecdotal evidence suggests that the hoppy beer trend has increase demand across the board for all breweries and in my book that is a win.

I personally haven't seen a decrease in manufacturing of other styles, I just see a lot more IPAs. I'm sorry that all the non IPA drinkers are so unhoppy ;(

ps - its funny how people like to hate on trends that they dislike, then bring up the word "hipster" when in fact they are exhibiting similar characteristics

my two bitterly delicious cents

Old 05-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #119
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by high5apparatus View Post
Just published. I'm not condoning or promoting the article, just adding it to the discussion.

Against Hoppy Beer
The craft beer industry’s love affair with hops is alienating people who don’t like bitter brews.
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/d...b_share_chunky
Stan H. Just tweeted this story too. He said the guy in the picture is brewing a lambic with aged hops.

And irony hangs itself.

Also, for being a beer writer the author doesn't do a very good job of explaining the differences between "bitter", "hoppy", and "sessionable". These qualities are independent of each other.

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #120
Dave1096
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I drink IPA's and IIPA's because they're my favorite styles...they more consistently satisfy my palette than any other style out there. Does that make me a trend follower just because alot of other people like the same beers I do? Probably around 85% of the beers I buy/brew are IPA/IIPA's, but that doesn't mean I don't love other styles as well. I'm a huge fan of some BA imperial stouts, Belgian Quads, Tripels, seasonals such as pumpkin beers, and on and on and on, but overall my favorite beer is still an IPA...and there's alot of people out there just like me just as there are many out there like some of you who don't like hoppy beers. I can't speak for all hopheads, but I certainly don't drink IPA's because they're trendy or cool. They're good, and as long as enough people think so they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Quick Reply