Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Hoppy beers a trend?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
jbguzzi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Hoppy beers a trend?

I went to my local grocer this morning to hopefully pick up an Enjoy By from Stone, i have not tried one yet and kept missing them after being sold out. Anyhow, I was talking to the wine/beer tender and he went off saying how he could not wait till people stopped calling him asking when Pliney and other once in a while big IPA's have come in, i smugly said "get used to it" and then he went off saying that hoppy beers are a trend and the pendulum will swing back when people want their palette back! I smiled and walked away. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There may be some truth to that, but I thought it was funny. I personally enjoy many styles of beer, hopped crazy or very mild. Just thought I would share.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Nice. I've noticed that as well about a year ago and a half ago when i started getting deep into malt beers. All my friends were giving me palette splitters with IBU's upwards of 70+. Ive come into my own as a malt maniac though but I still wouldn't mind trying some Pliny if I could get my hands on it in this part of the country.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 03-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
Hogarthe
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

it's definitely a trend. a few years ago, almost nobody knew what an ipa was. now they are everywhere. it's good for people who like hoppy beers, but if stores are stocking so many of them there is no room on the shelf for other beers, it's bad for people who like other styles besides the really hoppy ones. I think eventually there will be another big trend, and there will be less ipas and iipas being made, but I doubt they will disappear entirely. too many people like ipa for that, even if they do discover they like other styles, they will still buy ipa sometimes.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
moski
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 33

It does seem like thats all anyone asks about. Especially the "beer guys". I tend to look on the IPA craze like I do the "real beer" BMC guys.
I'll be happy when the chatter levels off. Of course ambers and pales are as hoppy as I tend to go.

Before you judge someone, be sure to walk a mile in their kilt. That way you are at least a mile away, and you have their kilt...

What?! Fifteen cases of beer and not a drop to drink!

Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
alane1
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 131

As long as there are new hop varieties coming out I think Ipas will be popular.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I see it as a trend. Sure every brewery will produce an IPA and a lot will produce it as their signature beer. But I have noticed a lot of my friends who were IPA only people are ordering other beers. The problem is that so many IPAs out there are just plain old BAD. Only bittering knock you in the face with hops and not really all that drinkable. We like to sit at a table or in someones garage and enjoy what we are drinking, not drink it because it has the highest IBUs or because it has some new hops. Around here Belgian beers are really starting to take off. Whether Abbey Styles or Farmhouse beers.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal), Schepen
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk, Dog Days Saison
Up coming beers:

Old 03-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
weinerdog
Recipes 

I agree. The IPA trend is starting to see some leveling off here. Most of my beer buddies are "over it" and moving to other pastures now. I was never a big fan of hoppy beers, preferring more malty and a sweeter finish.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #8
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Hopefully, with the overall growth of Craft, as the market grows in variety, hoppy beers won't decline in production, but maybe in Craft share.

I love a IIPA or American Barleywine, but there's so many wonderful beers I don't limit myself for sure.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
mgraczyk71
Recipes 

I'm not a fan really of IPAs or really hoppy beers. I've gotten weird looks at bars and liquor stores because of this. This is kind of the reason I don't have the desire to go to another beer "fest"

Old 03-21-2013, 01:23 AM   #10
Pratzie

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarthe View Post
it's good for people who like hoppy beers, but if stores are stocking so many of them there is no room on the shelf for other beers, it's bad for people who like other styles besides the really hoppy ones.
This is excatly what I run into. I'd say about 60% of the shelf space in my beer shop is IPA or IIPA, with only about 5-10% for all other styles. Kinda pisses me off cuz Stouts and Scotch Ale's (my favs) onlet get a small three shelf section that holds about 2 or 3 different sixers on each.

Malt Maniacs demand more shelf space!
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Quick Reply