Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Hoppy Beers - Best fresh?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Graeme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hoppy Beers - Best fresh?

Living in Ireland and being hop head isn't easy! There are some steady available US beers such as Sam Adams, Brooklyn, Goose Island, Sierra nevada and Flying Dog. The vast majority of time if a new American beer makes it over here, it's on a short term basis, perhaps a once off shipment. For example I've enjoyed Great Divide, Rogue, Flying Dog, some good beers, but sparse in supply and they don't always return.

This has led me to make online orders once in a while from a company in the UK called Beers of Europe. Having spoken to the manager via email he informed me their selection of US beers was also very limited and usually a one off import each time, and then replaced some months, or even a year later with a different selection. My worry is, with some Stone IPA I ordered. I ordered some last Xmas and theres a very good chance that it's from the same order. Do you think there will be a big issue with hops fading?

I've tried both Victory Hop Wallop & Hop Devil in Ireland only to be a little underwhelmed. Both of these are highly rated and considered very hoppy, but I think by the time it got here perhaps the hops had faded. Whats your two cents?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Hop character fades fairly quickly, so the beers you are getting are probably past their prime. You could try rejuvenating them at the time of serving by blending them with a little bit of cold-extracted hop tea or even a very hoppy homebrewed beer, but this would definitely change the character of the commercial beer.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 11-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Graeme
Recipes 

I don't think I'll be going to those lengths to be honest Arcane, I suppose I just have to hope for the best with them. Most of the others I ordered were added not too long ago so they should be ok...I hope!

Quick Reply