Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Hop-15 Port Brewing...Wow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Hop-15 Port Brewing...Wow

I was out at Naked City Taphouse enjoying several of the fresh hop ales Don has on tap right now and one of the bartenders was talking up one of the beers they have in bottles at the moment. It was Port Brewing Hop-15 ale.
As I listened to the bartender describe the process the So Cal brewery uses adding 15 hop varieties every 15 minutes during the boil, I knew I had to take one home with me when I left.

I got home and popped the cap and wow...just wow. I'm sure there are some Southern Ca members who know what I am talking about. The hops just completely envelope this tasty beer. It is citrusy, and resiny, but somehow not too over the top. As I read the label I was surpised to find that somehow they had hidden 10% ABV in there as well. I would have never guessed. This is one of the best Hop Monsters I have ever tried. If anyone ever comes across this, and you are a fan of hops, I strongly recommend.

Has anyone else ever enjoyed this 10% ABV hop monster?

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have heard a lot of good things about this beer and now another but sadly I have never had one

Old 10-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I won't buy it. Quality control issues plague their production brewery and I've had it taste anywhere from good to undrinkable. On top of it, we have much better IPAs available here, and I won't waste my money on a crapshoot. Last drink of it I had was a totally botched fermentation. And a previous batch was flat. They don't get any of my money until they figure out consistency.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew View Post
I was out at Naked City Taphouse enjoying several of the fresh hop ales Don has on tap right now and one of the bartenders was talking up one of the beers they have in bottles at the moment. It was Port Brewing Hop-15 ale.
As I listened to the bartender describe the process the So Cal brewery uses adding 15 hop varieties every 15 minutes during the boil, I knew I had to take one home with me when I left.

I got home and popped the cap and wow...just wow. I'm sure there are some Southern Ca members who know what I am talking about. The hops just completely envelope this tasty beer. It is citrusy, and resiny, but somehow not too over the top. As I read the label I was surpised to find that somehow they had hidden 10% ABV in there as well. I would have never guessed. This is one of the best Hop Monsters I have ever tried. If anyone ever comes across this, and you are a fan of hops, I strongly recommend.

Has anyone else ever enjoyed this 10% ABV hop monster?
I asked Roma at Gravity Beer Market in Olympia to recommend a big IPA on par with Hair of the Dog's Blue Dot. Without hesitation, she grabbed me a Hop15. Mine tasted damn good. No wonder it was 2008 Alpha King.

There's a discussion here attempting to create a recipe.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/port...op-15-a-93496/

Old 10-20-2009, 02:00 AM   #5
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I won't buy it. Quality control issues plague their production brewery and I've had it taste anywhere from good to undrinkable. On top of it, we have much better IPAs available here, and I won't waste my money on a crapshoot. Last drink of it I had was a totally botched fermentation. And a previous batch was flat. They don't get any of my money until they figure out consistency.
That is a bummer. I have to say the bottle I had of it was wonderful. I didn't quite finish it, and I drank the rest out of the bottle the next morning and even warm and half flat it was still great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdagrate View Post
I asked Roma at Gravity Beer Market in Olympia to recommend a big IPA on par with Hair of the Dog's Blue Dot. Without hesitation, she grabbed me a Hop15. Mine tasted damn good. No wonder it was 2008 Alpha King.

There's a discussion here attempting to create a recipe.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/port...op-15-a-93496/
Thanx for the link alexdagrate . I would love to take a shot at this maybe someday.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 10-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
toman8r
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hop 15 is my go-to IIPA. I did get a flat bottle once, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
insanitey1
Recipes 

I had this last night and man!! This is one of the best beers ive ever had! Sucks to hear that it can be hit or miss but for me it was nothing short of delicious!!! Might even go grab another bottle today!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 AM   #8
boysbrew2012
Recipes 

Likes Given: 12

cant get enough of this beer LOVE IT

Old 01-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is an excellent beer, but try Port's Mongo - Hop-15 is my #3, Mongo is my #1...

Make sure it's fresh - Wife picked up a growler of Mongo last fall in the Tri-cities (WA). I was blown away.

Quick Reply