*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Henry Weinhard Woodland Pass "IPA"...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2168 Times on 1550 Posts
Likes Given: 1197

Default Henry Weinhard Woodland Pass "IPA"...

Picked up a few odd beers this weekend to keep my thirst at bay while brewing. One of them was Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA. I know almost nothing about this brand. I thought I read it was one of the craft breweries bought up by one of the macro breweries, but hey, it's an IPA, so what can go wrong, right??

Well, I'll tell you what went wrong. They mislabeled it. Apparently, as best as I can tell, they meant to put a different name on this beer, since it's very obvious that whatever was in the bottle was NOT an IPA!

Now don't get me wrong. I thought it was a very tasty beer. IT JUST WAS NOT AN IPA! Maybe some kind of light amber beer??

I'm sick and tired of macro breweries misleading people on the label. Yes it has more hops than Bud. That does not make it an IPA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 751 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 52

The in-laws got a sixer of that. They were gushers and had a metallic taste.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I picked some up last week. They're ok....I read an interesting review that called it a "hoppy lager." It reminds be of Alexander Keith's IPA that I had in Canada;

Both of them really are more like Pale Ales, the weinhard's is actually hoppier. The keith's had no hop flavor at all.

It's a contract brew now from SAB Miller, but their beers are brewed by Full Sail.

It was an actual historical brewery.

Quote:
In 1862, Henry Weinhard moved to Portland, Oregon and purchased an old brewery on the corner of NW First and Davis.[1] The original Blitz-Weinhard brewery in Portland survived from 1862 until 1999 when it was sold by the Stroh Brewery Company (who owned it at the time) to the Miller Brewing Company, who closed it down.

The brewery was a fixture of an old industrial and warehouse district which, beginning in the 1990s, has become known as the Pearl District in downtown Portland, and its closure marked the beginning of a massive urban rejuvenation project. Following the closure of the Portland brewery in 1999, Henry Weinhard's was brewed at the Olympia brewery in Tumwater, Washington until that brewery too was closed in 2003.

The Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve brand survives today and is currently owned by SABMiller, and some of its beers are brewed under contract at the Full Sail Brewing Company.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2168 Times on 1550 Posts
Likes Given: 1197

Had little to zero hop aroma. Maybe a pale ale, but honestly I have had plenty of pale ales that had more hop character and bitterness. Even the old Bass was hoppier than this stuff.

Keep in mind, the one I tried wasn't actually a bad tasting beer. Just something other than IPA. I have another I think (or two, I think my friend left his second bottle here...) and I'll pop it open when I'm in the mood for a nice light pale.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Enjoy your Miller brand IPA.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
BrewMoose
Recipes 

Just saw a commercial for Henry Weinhard while watching the playoff football game. Never heard of it. Just searched here. Is it any good or just big advertising budget?

I like the hydrometer beer!

Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
Dr. Francois
Dry Yeast FTW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm bummed Miller is using this brand as they are. HW has been a mainstay in the west for decades. There used to be a Blue Boar Pale Ale (APA) that was very nice for a great price. You could always count on HW to deliver a beer better than the price indicated.

The brand just arrived in MI, and I will be passing on it.

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 620

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMoose View Post
Just saw a commercial for Henry Weinhard while watching the playoff football game. Never heard of it. Just searched here. Is it any good or just big advertising budget?
It's as you feared. I got a sixer of the IPA and a sixer of the Lager because the wife clipped a rebate out of the paper if you bought two six packs. Can't wait for the couple of buxs to come in the mail so I can spend that money on some decent brew at least. To be honest there is barely any bitterness difference between the lager and the IPA. It makes Harpoon (which I don't mind BTW), look like Pliney.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #9
roymullins
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Henry's used to be pretty good brew- they had a nice dark beer as well. Drank a lot of it in the late 80's early 90's... but it ain't the same- every once in a while I give it another chance and I am always disappointed...

Quick Reply