New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Hefeweizens....Any Good Ones Brewed in the US?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2005, 11:22 PM   #21
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, just got a sixer of Shiner Hefe. Says it's brewed with honey, wheat, orange and lemon.

The stuff isn't particularly hazy, and it puts off a lot of large bubbles from the bottom of the glass. It smells more or less like a good hefe, but the flavor is odd. Tastes totally different than it smells.

I can't put my finger on it, but it has a pretty dry finish, unlike any other hefe I've had. I'd imagine that's the honey in it. I did forget to rouse the yeast as I was in a hurry. I will on the next bottle and if it makes a big difference, I'll post back. Actually it might, since hefe's get a lot of their character from the yeast alone.

It's not bad, but not my idea of a good hefe. It's considerably better than Widmer, so I'll still tip my hat to the folks at Spoetzel!

Sam

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 01:37 PM   #22
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
OK, just got a sixer of Shiner Hefe. Says it's brewed with honey, wheat, orange and lemon.

The stuff isn't particularly hazy, and it puts off a lot of large bubbles from the bottom of the glass. It smells more or less like a good hefe, but the flavor is odd. Tastes totally different than it smells.

I can't put my finger on it, but it has a pretty dry finish, unlike any other hefe I've had. I'd imagine that's the honey in it. I did forget to rouse the yeast as I was in a hurry. I will on the next bottle and if it makes a big difference, I'll post back. Actually it might, since hefe's get a lot of their character from the yeast alone.

It's not bad, but not my idea of a good hefe. It's considerably better than Widmer, so I'll still tip my hat to the folks at Spoetzel!

Sam
hey sam, rouse the yeast for sure. it makes a difference (to me it does). it's not the best hefe by any means, but still a good, local brew (for Texan's) to drink. shiner also has a kolsch they brew for summer, called Summer Stock. good lawnmower beer. should be out soon......

DeRoux's Broux

Old 03-16-2005, 02:17 AM   #23
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You're right, it did help a little. Not much, though.

Got a bottle of Pyramid hefe today. It's a step in the right direction, but still only so-so. Also had a Sierra Nevada wheat. Tastes just like their pale ale with maybe some wheat malt tossed in. Tasted like it was hopped just the same, and used the same yeast as their pale ale....which means it was damned tasty, but not a great wheat brew.

I think I've about exhausted the biggest contenders. Oh well, I'll stick with the German stuff when I can find it!

Old 03-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #24
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
I think I've about exhausted the biggest contenders. Oh well, I'll stick with the German stuff when I can find it!

yea, i agree. they just don't compare. maybe the american brew's are not decoction mashed? i just like that bready, banana kick the dunkel weis has.
also, Saint Arnold's has a Krystal Weis. i've only had it once at the brewery on the tour. so, i dont know how the bottle is? they filter this one though. there beer's tend to be on the malty side, except the Elissa IPA (which is pretty good too!)
do what i do..can't find it.....BREW IT!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 03-20-2005, 08:44 PM   #25
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just drank a bottle of Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier...HELLO! Going right now to pick up more!

Old 03-20-2005, 09:29 PM   #26
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, the store that carries it was closed. So, I picked up two different ones at another store....Hacker-Pschorr and Paulaner. We'll see. But, I am very excited about finding Stoudt's!!! I picked up a six of their APA...you can't get any better than they did with the label!! Hope it's awesome.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:27 AM   #27
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Weihenstephaner hefe is the best, IMO. Glad you liked it! I'm finding quite a few of their beers around here, but rarely ever see the hefe! Pisses me off.

I need to stop whining and brew my own, I suppose.

Sam

Gone unsung for far too long

Old 03-22-2005, 01:15 AM   #28
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh, yeah, it was great! I think I found another favorite style. After I get a few all-grain batches under my belt, I'll have to try a hefe.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:28 AM   #29
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The very first batch I brewed was a hefe kit from Widwest Supplies. It turned out OK.

The recipes I've seen for hefe clones seem to be among the simplest of all recipes. I think that the tough part is tweaking your technique for brewing and fermenting them. The yeast strain plays a big part, as does the priming procedure. They seem to me more sensitive to the finer details of brewing than do other styles. I've been doing some sniffing around, and hope to be able to try one again soon, modifying my method some. It's a quest.

Sam

Gone unsung for far too long

Old 03-22-2005, 01:34 AM   #30
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So, besides the tweaking you refer to, what are the major differences? It it just the addition of wheat, and a certain hop strain? For some reason, I thought hefes were more complicated.

Quick Reply