Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Hefeweizens....Any Good Ones Brewed in the US?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 12:45 AM   #11
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

OK, so are their any good American yeast wheat beers out there, like the ones they brew in Deutchland?

You've piqued my interest now, homebrewer99. I'm really wanting to do a good hef....err, yeast wheat....or whatever!! My first batch was OK. I pitched Wyeast's Weihenstephaner yeast. Think it would go better fermenting with a more "standard" yeast strain, then bottling with the Weihenstephaner?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Janx, I know what you mean by the plethera of foreign words in our language. English is a Germanic language afterall, so you can't seperate a lot of the words.

One of the things I like to do has to do with word origins and the like. I like words. I've been using them all my like (except when I was a babbling baby - or had a few too many beers - HAHA!!).

My intent was to point out some differences in word usage. That's all. And yes, I really do enjoy using a lot of the foreign words. They really do contribute to our language experience.

Take "smorgabord" (your example) for instance. It's the Swedish word for "buffet". The funny (strange funny - "komisch" in German) thing is they (Webster) use "hor d'ourvres (French) to define a Swedish word. We use both of those words here in the US.

Sam75: I'd have to say "no". But that does not mean there aren't any good ones. I happen to like Shiner's Weizen (from Texas), but it's hard to find where I live. I really like Thomas Kempers (Seattle) Pyramid (?) Apricot Wheat. I haven't had any in about 10 years though.

FWIW, I used to go to Maisel's gasthaus (next to the brewery in Bamberg, Germany) several times a week for 5 years when I lived there. They even gave me one of their menu signs (the chalkboard type) as a going away present. It has the types and prices of their beers on it. I sprayed over it with a clearcoat to preserve the writing and hand-carried it back to the States.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:03 PM   #13
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Yeah I was just joking around, going off on some tangent

Sorry if I sounded seriously bothered or anything

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #14
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So based on my likes, does anyone have a US hefe they could recommend? Or should I just keep on searching for Weihenstephaner? [/QUOTE]

Hey Sam, try Erdinger Weis or Dunkel Weis (German). Oberdorfer (German)has a good Dunkel Weis, as does Julias Echter (German). I dig dunkel weis style. I can get all these in Texas, so I'm sure you can get them in your area. Shiner (Spoetzle Brewery in Shiner, TX) has a Hefe that's pretty good. At least they tell you to drink it out of a glass and rouse the rest half way through the pour on the bottle.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 03-10-2005, 02:52 PM   #15
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
You've piqued my interest now, homebrewer99. I'm really wanting to do a good hef....err, yeast wheat....or whatever!! My first batch was OK. I pitched Wyeast's Weihenstephaner yeast. Think it would go better fermenting with a more "standard" yeast strain, then bottling with the Weihenstephaner?
I have a hefe in the primary, and I have brewed it before. Everyone said it was one of their favorites. i use the White Labs Hefe IV liquide yeast and it does the trick for me!

Old 03-10-2005, 03:38 PM   #16
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

No problem, Janx....it's always a pleasure to banter with you. Over these words we can get the meaning, but sometimes the emotion is lost and/or misunderstood.

DeRoux's Broux: I've tried all of those brands many, many times. I don't know what to recommend for you to use in the bottle. Kreusening would be my best guess. You could always split the batch (just prior to bottling) in 2 and kreusen 1 and use DME in the other.

I haven't used White Labs HW IV (yet), as I use WLP 300. They all seem to produce a bit different flavor, so I am still experimenting with WL yeasts.
I think I'm on batch 17 or so in less than a year, but they include at least 5 HWs (some with fruit), a Bock, 2 Czech Budvar Lagers, Pumpkin, Christmas, a Spiced (coriander, sweet orange peel and ginger) Ale, and others.

I just got back into brewing last year after a 5 year break. I was living in Bamberg, Germany and didn't see a need to brew with 9 breweries in town and 2 more (St Georgen Brau and Buttenheim Lowenbrau) less than a mile from my house. Incidently, Buttenheim was where Levi Strauss was born and grew up (within 300 meters of both of those breweries).

I used to use Yeast Lab W51 exclusively, but they are no longer producing it. I just recently found out that it was sold to White Labs and renamed #351, per Whitelabs.com, but it is not in any of their brochures. It seems to be available on-line though.

I will be ordering it directly from them in a couple of weeks. I'm going on a business trip to Colo Springs, CO this Sat and will be gone over a week.

Old 03-10-2005, 04:18 PM   #17
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I haven't used White Labs HW IV (yet), as I use WLP 300. They all seem to produce a bit different flavor, so I am still experimenting with WL yeasts.
I think I'm on batch 17 or so in less than a year, but they include at least 5 HWs (some with fruit), a Bock, 2 Czech Budvar Lagers, Pumpkin, Christmas, a Spiced (coriander, sweet orange peel and ginger) Ale, and others.

I just got back into brewing last year after a 5 year break. I was living in Bamberg, Germany and didn't see a need to brew with 9 breweries in town and 2 more (St Georgen Brau and Buttenheim Lowenbrau) less than a mile from my house. Incidently, Buttenheim was where Levi Strauss was born and grew up (within 300 meters of both of those breweries).

I used to use Yeast Lab W51 exclusively, but they are no longer producing it. I just recently found out that it was sold to White Labs and renamed #351, per Whitelabs.com, but it is not in any of their brochures. It seems to be available on-line though.
99, you lucky bastard! i'd love to get to spend time in Germany and sip a real Kolsch, Alt, or Dunkel Weis. knaw on some schnitzel! my brother get's to go to Belgium and Germany for work, so he always rubs it in! at least he brings me beer back....
my WL Hefe IV went nuts on me. Blew the top off my fermentor twice. I went to rack it last night, w/ no visible activity all day, pulled the lid off, and still had a good 1.5 " thick head of foam on top. it's been in there since saturday i'll check it friday, and see.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 03-10-2005, 05:05 PM   #18
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

I actually lived in Germany for a total of 9 years, when I was 20 yo in 1975 to 1979 and 20 years later in 1999 to 2004.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:44 AM   #19
OSUmoney83
Recipes 

Location: In the heart of buckeye nation, now (2012) in Scottsdale, Arizona
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

FWIW I found some Wienhestephalen? hefewiess and lager at the store today, can anyone reccomend the lager?

Old 03-13-2005, 06:27 AM   #20
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Never had their lager, but I wouldn't hesistate to try it.

Quick Reply