Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Heading to San Diego at the end of the month...
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
malvado78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Owego, NY
Posts: 118
Likes Given: 11

Default Heading to San Diego at the end of the month...

Will be flying in and the driving out to Yuma, Az.

2 questions:

1. Anyone know the best place to pick up some Pliny around the Airport?
2. Ideas of brews/breweries to try in Yuma?

__________________
malvado78 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
joe1996
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: mexico
Posts: 44
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

well im near to yuma, of course in mexico, but in san diego theres a breweries tour

and of course :

http:www.sandiegobrewersguild.org and www.sdbeerbus.com for tours

cheers

__________________
joe1996 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
carnevoodoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,305
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvado78 View Post
Will be flying in and the driving out to Yuma, Az.

2 questions:

1. Anyone know the best place to pick up some Pliny around the Airport?
2. Ideas of brews/breweries to try in Yuma?
If you're driving out to Yuma, you have a few options, all which are freeway close. 1. Best Damn Beer Shop in downtown SD might have it. 2. There are two stores off the 8 called Windmill Farms and K&B Wine Cellars that are next door to each other. 3. You could try Whole Foods in Hillcrest. Oh! 4. Olive Tree in Ocean Beach isn't that bad from where you will be, and might be your best bet for fresh stock.

That said, Pliny always runs out. For it to be available might be lucky, and if a store other than a heavily trafficked store has it, I'd check the date on it to make sure it isn't old. Call or email any of them to see what they have. BDBS and Olive Tree will probably hold stuff for you. It'll be cheapest at Windmill Farms.

And you should also plan to stop in Alpine on your way to Yuma to go to Alpine Brew Co's pub. They have some of the best hoppy beer in the county, and they're right on the way.
__________________
http://chugsd.com
carnevoodoo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
malvado78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Owego, NY
Posts: 118
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
If you're driving out to Yuma, you have a few options, all which are freeway close. 1. Best Damn Beer Shop in downtown SD might have it. 2. There are two stores off the 8 called Windmill Farms and K&B Wine Cellars that are next door to each other. 3. You could try Whole Foods in Hillcrest. Oh! 4. Olive Tree in Ocean Beach isn't that bad from where you will be, and might be your best bet for fresh stock.

That said, Pliny always runs out. For it to be available might be lucky, and if a store other than a heavily trafficked store has it, I'd check the date on it to make sure it isn't old. Call or email any of them to see what they have. BDBS and Olive Tree will probably hold stuff for you. It'll be cheapest at Windmill Farms.

And you should also plan to stop in Alpine on your way to Yuma to go to Alpine Brew Co's pub. They have some of the best hoppy beer in the county, and they're right on the way.
Great. Thanks for the responses. This trip actually got pushed to 10/11. So I will be checking these out. May call ahead the weekend before to make sure they have in stock.
__________________
malvado78 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
malvado78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Owego, NY
Posts: 118
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
If you're driving out to Yuma, you have a few options, all which are freeway close. 1. Best Damn Beer Shop in downtown SD might have it. 2. There are two stores off the 8 called Windmill Farms and K&B Wine Cellars that are next door to each other. 3. You could try Whole Foods in Hillcrest. Oh! 4. Olive Tree in Ocean Beach isn't that bad from where you will be, and might be your best bet for fresh stock.

That said, Pliny always runs out. For it to be available might be lucky, and if a store other than a heavily trafficked store has it, I'd check the date on it to make sure it isn't old. Call or email any of them to see what they have. BDBS and Olive Tree will probably hold stuff for you. It'll be cheapest at Windmill Farms.

And you should also plan to stop in Alpine on your way to Yuma to go to Alpine Brew Co's pub. They have some of the best hoppy beer in the county, and they're right on the way.
Well I did end up at the BDBS. Great place. Bought Pliny, Blind Pig, Temptation, Alpine Duet, and Exponential Hopiness.

Now don't get me wrong. Pliny is great! I loved it. But I made a clone that ended a little sweeter that the Pliny and I think I liked the clone better.

The next day I drank the Alpine Duet. Hands done one of the best beers I have ever had. So flavorful, smooth and drinkable. Delicious.

I plan on stopping by the Alpine Brewery on the way back to SD on friday.

Then making another stop at the BDBS before going back to the airport.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Any idea where I could find a bottle of Deschutes Abyss? Didn't see any at BDBS. They have said they have trouble keeping on the shelf. Might stop for dinner at Downtown Johnny Browns for dinner and it looks liek there is a possibility of them having it on tap there. But I would really like to take a bottle home to share with some friends.

Secondly...
Anybody ever do any Alpine clones??? Have a recipe???
__________________
malvado78 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
carnevoodoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,305
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

I missed this when it was posted. Abyss is seasonal and not easy to find when it isn't the time of year for it. I haven't seen it in stores for a while, so you didn't really miss it when you were here because it wasn't available.

I've never seen a clone of Duet. Maybe email the guys at Alpine for hints?

Our original single IPA made with Simcoe and Amarillo hops “in harmony.” 1.065 OG 45 IBU 7%ABV

Seems like it'd be a pretty easy recipe to put together.

__________________
http://chugsd.com
carnevoodoo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
malvado78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Owego, NY
Posts: 118
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I missed this when it was posted. Abyss is seasonal and not easy to find when it isn't the time of year for it. I haven't seen it in stores for a while, so you didn't really miss it when you were here because it wasn't available.

I've never seen a clone of Duet. Maybe email the guys at Alpine for hints?

Our original single IPA made with Simcoe and Amarillo hops “in harmony.” 1.065 OG 45 IBU 7%ABV

Seems like it'd be a pretty easy recipe to put together.
Yeah that is what I learned about Abyss.
A friend was out that way a few weeks before me and Down Town Johnny Browns had a keg of last years on tap.
But not when I went. Asked them if they kicked one while I was there if they could put it on. They said they had special plans for the one(s) remaining...

But yeah I had started on a recipe and in my search came across a BeerAdvocate Forum Post when someone was looking for a Nelson recipe. Danny from Alpine piped in and told the poster to send him an email and he could give some help so i am planning on trying that. Just not going to happen really quickly.

Thanks for the post.
__________________
malvado78 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beer of the month clubs dblvsn Commercial Brew Discussion 13 05-10-2010 12:53 PM
San Diego does it again! carnevoodoo Commercial Brew Discussion 5 11-07-2008 11:51 PM
which beer of the month clubs have you tried? Liquisky Commercial Brew Discussion 4 07-24-2008 05:34 AM
Beer of the Month Club mcgeebc Commercial Brew Discussion 3 03-21-2007 07:37 PM
Beer of the Month Fiery Sword Commercial Brew Discussion 9 11-30-2006 03:38 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS