The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Great Lakes Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
MikeInCtown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Great Lakes Brewing

OK, this is a dumb question since I actually live like 15 minutes from the place, but can anyone describe either of the two lagers to me? one is described on the box as a light lager and the other an amber lager. I just don't feel like gambling $9 for a six pack only then to take a sip and not like it.

Bottled - Continental Pilsner, Island Mist Mango Citrus, Island Mist Wildberry Shiraz
Up next - AH Foster's clone, Labatt's clone, Hard Apple Cider,
The Independence Street Brew House

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

The Dortmunder Gold is a very tasty brew. I had one at the brewery while visiting Ceveland this summer. My girlfriend's grandfather swears by it.

I can't comment on the Elliot Ness. Have not tried it.

If I were you, I'd go down to the brewery for lunch or dinner and try them for yourself!

I also had the IPA. Very tasty. My girlfriend loved the Holy Moses White Ale too.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

I have had both. While Elliot Ness is a nice beer, Dortmunder Gold is in my top 10 list. Flavorful and refreshing at the same time.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:47 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I don't remember the Elliot Ness. Maybe that means it's not a memorable beer, but it could also mean my memory is middle-aged.

Agreed, the Dortmunder Gold is very good.

I'm not a huge lager fan- my favorite Great Lakes beer is Edmund Fitzgerald. If you are willing to try a dark beer, it's an awesome porter that isn't "roasty" or harsh like some porters can be.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
salad 419
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
.....my favorite Great Lakes beer is Edmund Fitzgerald.
Agreed, the good ole' EF is a winner for sure. I've tried the Elliot Ness. It was very good. I have yet to try the Dortmunder, because I prefer darker beers. But, a few guys around town with similar tastes as mine say it's one of their favorites.

Primary: NONE :(
Secondary: Barley wine, RIS, Palisade Pale Ale, Burnt Mead
Drinking: Local water test Red Ale, Kolsch, Northern Brown Ale, Homegrown Chinook IPA, Dunkelweizen, Cherry Bran Muffin, Citrus Salad, IPA, Cherry Stout

"And Ultimately....... Who Gives A F@CK Anyway?"- Frank Zappa

Old 10-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
jvh261

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I love Great Lakes. In fact, Nosferatu (a hoppy Red, 8% ABV) is one of my favorite seasonals and its out now.

Dortmunder is just an all around great brew. Best commercial American Dortmunder out there in my opinion. Burning River Pale and Commander Perry IPA have never done me wrong either.

If I lived 15 minutes away I'd be in trouble.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Love Great Lakes but i am much more a fan of Ales than Lagers so I prefer Commodore Perry and Burning River to Dortmunder and Eliot Ness.
However you requested a review of the lagers so here is my opinion.
Dortmunder is a Pale Lager with moderate body and a decent hop bitterness. It is an easy drinking beer that is a good step up from BMC styles but won't scare those that grew up on lagers.
Eliot Ness is an Amber lager with a sweeter finish and a darker color. It has more caramel flavors and less noticeable hops presence.
Both beers are very good but I find I like the other styles even better. Of the regularly available beers both Edmund Fitzgerald and Commodore Perry are excellent beers and well worth trying. The seasonal Blackout Stout and Nosferatu are well worth the extra coin. The other seasonals are also very good.

The best advice is go to the pub and try a few.

Craig

Old 10-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Dortmunder, EF, Burning River, Nosferatu, Moondog, Imperial Dortmunder, Octoberfest and Blackout stout are all very good.

Holy Moses and Commodore Perry are decent, but neither is a great example of their respective styles.

Eliot Ness is not a very good beer, IMO. Maybe I just always end up getting bad bottles, but I always get a lot of off aromas and tastes from that beer. It's the only GLBC brew that I stay away from.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
MikeInCtown
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I am in heaven today. I decided to stop at the liquor/wine store down the street from my office. They break up 6 packs and sell individuals so i was able to pick up a bottle of each. Now I can try them and not have to buy the 6 pack of go to GLBC.

Bottled - Continental Pilsner, Island Mist Mango Citrus, Island Mist Wildberry Shiraz
Up next - AH Foster's clone, Labatt's clone, Hard Apple Cider,
The Independence Street Brew House

Quick Reply