The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Great Lagers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #1
HopOnHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Great Lagers?

I just got a fermentation chamber/fridge setup and an toying around with the idea of making a lager. Downside is that aside from budweiser and XX im not all too familiar with any lagers. Can anyone recommend a variety of classic examples of lagers (american, german, belgian, etc...) so i might be able to hone in on a lager style i would want to brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
shelly_belly
Easy Wind
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 17

One of my favorites is Victory Brewing Company Prima Pils which is brewed in the style of a German Pilsner. I've made several attempts to clone this. While neither were a clone, they all were delicious.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
podz
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopOnHops View Post
I just got a fermentation chamber/fridge setup and an toying around with the idea of making a lager. Downside is that aside from budweiser and XX im not all too familiar with any lagers. Can anyone recommend a variety of classic examples of lagers (american, german, belgian, etc...) so i might be able to hone in on a lager style i would want to brew?

Strictly speaking, there are only two types of beers in existence: Ales and Lagers. Nearly all commercial beer in the world is Lager, unless you buy English beer which is nearly all Ale. Emphasis on "nearly" in both cases.

The technical difference between Ale and Lager is where the yeast ferments. Ale yeast ferments on the top surface of the liquid, and Lager yeast ferments on bottom of the vessel. Lager is, literally, the German language word meaning : "to store", as in "where can I find a cold place to store this carboy for a few months?". Ale was typically not stored at all - served by the English pubs as soon as it was finished fermenting.

The German style of bier called "Alt", is a bit of an oddity: it's fermented with Ale yeast, but it's also cold stored in the Lager method.

I have drank my share of Alt while visiting Dusseldorf, but I don't really care too much for it as I have never been a fan of Ale - generally too bitter and watery for my tastes.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #4
ingchr1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Bock is a lager, Maibock is probably my favorite style out of all beer. Try some bock to see how you like it.

Chris

Old 06-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Sam Adams India Pale Lager is available nationally.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 06-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #6
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Any of Ayinger's lagers (Celebrator and Altbairisch Dunkel are faves of mine), Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, Spaten, Spaten Optimator, Paulaner Salvator...

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 06-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 365 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 702

Not sure if you can find it on the West Coast, but Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold is a great beer. Think pilsner (real pilsner, not BMC) with a fuller body and slightly higher ABV. If I were to get a temperature control chamber, a Dortmunder lager is probably the first thing I would go for.

I'm a big fan of darker lagers like bocks, doppelbocks and schwarzbiers as well. I haven't found too many of those that I haven't liked.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
podz
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
I'm a big fan of darker lagers like bocks, doppelbocks and schwarzbiers as well. I haven't found too many of those that I haven't liked.
Do they sell Weihenstephaner Vitus there in Kentucky? Try some of that if you get a chance.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 365 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 702

Quote:
Originally Posted by podz View Post
Do they sell Weihenstephaner Vitus there in Kentucky? Try some of that if you get a chance.
I think so, I know the helles, pilsner, and weissbier are available. I'll be sure to look out for it. Cheers!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
BargainMugs
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Brooklyn Lager

Quick Reply