Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Great Divide Old Ruffian Barley Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
klyph
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Great Divide Old Ruffian Barley Wine

What can I say, after a "1 pint 6 oz" bottle (over the course of the evening), my opinion is biased. I'm pairing it with a loaf of fresh home baked whole wheat bread with sweet cream butter and honey. I'm the closest to heaven that I've ever been.
I've never had a barley wine quite like this one, it's powerful in every one of it's many flavors, the dark fruits, the caramel, the bittersweet finish, the ethanol is well disguised but present and unobtrusive. It's the most drinkable barley wine I've had to date. As it warms in the glass, the aroma intensifies enhancing the experience. I want to spend all day with a glass of it strapped under my nose. There is enough hop aroma to perfectly balance with the sweet smells of the barley malt that I can hardly distinguish the two. They seem to coalesce into a singular aroma that I lack the vocabulary to describe. The texture is not thick or chewy, but not thin either, it coats the mouth initially with it's diverse flavor, then is washed away by a dominant alcohol warmth that lingers through the bitter earthy aftertaste.

A remarkable beer that I would recommend to anyone. Go out and try it if you haven't, you owe it to yourself.

Cheers

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have one that I got for Xmas a year (maybe 2??) ago, might have to break into it soon

Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 03-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

A local bar here that constantly rotates their drafts had this for a while. This beer is simply amazing on tap or from the bottle. I'd prefer to get this than a bottle of wine or champagne, and at around $7 for a 22 oz, it is a great special occasion beer.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
DromJohn
5 Gallon Mini-Mash Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 75

FWIW, AHS has recently added a clone: Old Ruffian (Great Divide) (23A)

Drinking: Redhook Double Black Stout III; Chrysanthemum Honey Rye Ale; Cherry Porter; AHS SuperCaliFugglisticESBAledocious; Innis & Gunn Original II; Rafikah Rose's GF Pear Ale; NB La Petite Orange Blanche; NB The Plinian Legacy; Val-Dieu Triple.
Primary: Redhook 8-4-1 Expedition Ale.
Untappd: DromJohn

Old 02-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DromJohn View Post
FWIW, AHS has recently added a clone: Old Ruffian (Great Divide) (23A)
I had seen that, but at $55 for all grain, I could buy a 50 lb sack and the hops and specialty grains for just a bit more. Recipe uses 20 lb of base malt so I'd have 30 lbs left over.

Btw had a 2011 edition of this for Christmas and it was great. Still my favorite barleywine.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Great Divide is one of my fav's. Old Ruffian and Bigfoot are about the only Barleywines I really enjoy.

Try their Wolfgang Doppelbock, and Yeti IS (many flavors). I loved going to the taphouse in Denver - good food trucks, and REALLY busy bar.

Quick Reply