Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Great beers you DON'T like?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #51
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Who talks about Fat Tire or Shiner Bock as great beers? I mean outside of people who think that is the limit of craft beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #52
Ply318ci
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Sorry but I didn't like Moylan's Kiltlifter just not my style I like Scottish ales but not that one.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #53
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 726 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Southern Tier's Pumking and the Creme Brulee. They're just too much of everything too much nutmeg/pumpkin spice, too much caramely flavor - just too much.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #54
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

I agree about the Southern Tier Choklat and Creme Brûlée. In my opinion a chocolate beer should a beer with some chocolate in it. Not alcoholic chocolate syrup.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #55
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Southern Tier's Pumking and the Creme Brulee. They're just too much of everything too much nutmeg/pumpkin spice, too much caramely flavor - just too much.
I agree, especially with the creme brulee. I find it completely disgusting. Like, 3 drinks and handed it back to the bartender kind of disgusting. I didn't complain to him about it and I still paid for it, I just couldn't handle it at all.

Btw, I love this thread. Its nice to see that not everyone likes the beers most people put on pedestals.

I don't like many big beers (my opinion), but I LOVE Ten Fidy!

Old 03-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #56
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you don't like a style then you don't like the style. That's not the beers fault. I hate all fruity beer but I'm not going to pick one for this list. And I won't say I hate everything DFH makes but I have yet to have one that I like. That being said I'm putting Orval on the list. I'm sorry I just don't like it. It doesn't make me gag or anything but to me finishing one is a tough task.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #57
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Who talks about Fat Tire or Shiner Bock as great beers? I mean outside of people who think that is the limit of craft beer.
I think it's just because New Belgium and Shiner are some of the biggest and widest distributing micros, people assume they are supposed to be the best. But true, I don't think many "beer nerds" like us really consider anything of theirs to be truly exceptional. Same thing with Brooklyn brewery - I've never had one I would consider to be "bad", but I've never had anything of theirs that I would really care if I ever had again or not. Pretty whatever if you ask me.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #58
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1104

Oddly enough, i was just blocks from Brooklyn Brewery at a sick BBQ place. Not sure what's available by you, but some of Brooklyn's specials are outstanding. They're Blanche de Brooklyn is hands down the best wit beer I've ever had by far.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #59
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Oddly enough, i was just blocks from Brooklyn Brewery at a sick BBQ place. Not sure what's available by you, but some of Brooklyn's specials are outstanding. They're Blanche de Brooklyn is hands down the best wit beer I've ever had by far.
Yeah, it's that way with a lot of breweries. The few that they widely distribute are whatever, but at their taproom they tend to have a lot more creative and interesting stuff. It's the same way with Bell's brewery here in Kalamazoo. A few pages back, someone mentioned not being particularly impressed with most of their distributed bottled offerings. And I somewhat agree, their standards like pale ale and best brown ale are nothing really special, but since I live close to the bar I get to try all the awesome stuff that never gets bottled. They have a barrel-aged brown on tap called "The Wild One" that is possibly my favorite sour beer ever. Recently they have had a golden rye ale that is also really good. A lot of times those of us who live close to a particular brewery and get to taste all the special beers that aren't distributed get a much better picture of what that brewery has to offer. Someone who lives farther away only gets to taste the few widely distributed beers, and a lot of times the bottles they get may be a bit older and less fresh.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #60
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Ranged_Eskimo View Post
Moose Drool is on my list was well. No thanks.

Half of the Boulevard Smokestack Series. Half are outstanding, the others, not so much. The Double Wide and the cherry bourbon barrel come straight to mind.

Deschutes, especially the Mirror Pond and Inversion IPA.
I have always regarded Mirror Pond as one of the better examples of the style. But then again, I'm biased as Deschutes was my first craft beer experience (Black Butte Poter) and still a perennial favorite of mine. Out of curiosity, where did you try it? It's very possible that we just have different tastes, but I wonder if something might have been lost in translation between Bend and Texas.

On Topic: I will never buy a Delirium Nocturnum again. I don't know if it's highly-regarded, but it reminds me of a Flintstone's chewable vitamin. Also, Fat Tire has never done it for me. Their 1554 kept me from completely writing off NB, which was good, as I have found more recent offerings to be very enjoyable (Ranger, Hoptober).

Quick Reply