Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Great beers you DON'T like?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #21
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Old Rasputin. Tastes like drinking an ashtray to me.

I don't like any of the bigger DFH IPAs; to me they are way to cloying to enjoy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #22
wailingguitar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Any IIPA... I like hops, but at the levels of a Bohemian Pilsner or a traditional British Pale Ale... more than that I find un pleasant

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 03-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #23
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 391 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
+1 to Magic Hat. I've tried probably 8 different brews from them and have diliked every one. I wasn't indifferent to them - I actually disliked every one of them. Especially the green colored green apple brew.
I guess I'd just quibble that I don't see many people referring to Magic Hat as a "great brewery" or mentioning any of their beers as being exceptional. They are what they are; a great marketing company with a couple of very good beers (Roxy Rolles), a few decent ones, and a bunch of drek.

Likewise, Sam Adams Triple Bock, I though was one of the most-despised beers out there. It's horrible, and I know it's not just me!

The one beer that I know a lot of people ADORE that I can't drink is Rodenbach Grand Cru. I like a lot of sour beers, but it's way too much vinegar for me.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #24
PistolsAtDawn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
I probably wouldn't like most of the best IPAs but that's just because I don't like IPAs.
I felt that way about IPAs as well, and now I drink more IPAs than other styles. I changed my mind when I brewed a Pliny clone for my second brew. MAN, do I love them now! Brewing an IPA just made me appreciate it, I suppose.

I would have to say that DFH 60 wasn't appealing to me, but I'd try it once more to be sure. I also don't like Fat Tire that much, you can keep Yuengling, and Stone's Arrogant Bastard is just too angry for me.

I agree with the previous poster who said Alagash White has a strange flavor. I also like most wits.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #25
amc22
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any American version of any style ever has been terrible. I'm starting to think most Americans don't know what good beer is or how to make it. Hopping something so high it numbs your tongue is just stupid and pointless.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #26
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc22 View Post
Any American version of any style ever has been terrible. I'm starting to think most Americans don't know what good beer is or how to make it. Hopping something so high it numbs your tongue is just stupid and pointless.
That's quite a statement. Brew what you like, drink what you like, don't be a tool.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #27
klnosaj

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sacrilege, I know. Yet true: Pliny the Elder is all hype as far as I'm concerned.

And Anchor Steam always tastes like wet cat to me. I want to love it so badly since it's brewed here but I can't.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #28
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2813 Times on 2758 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohldogg View Post
Sothern tier. The best thing I can say abou them is that the oat is pretty decent. I keep trying them thinking the next one will be good and am always let down. I don't know why people keep ordering it. And everyone the gets a ST choklat should be kicked out of the bar on the spot.
I've loved pretty much every ST I've had. Solid brewery in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
The one beer that I know a lot of people ADORE that I can't drink is Rodenbach Grand Cru. I like a lot of sour beers, but it's way too much vinegar for me.
Ditto on the Gran Cru

Delirium Tremens is one for me. I understand it is just because I'm not a Golden Strong fan. Except Gulden Draak!

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #29
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 391 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I got another one that's a little... blasphemous.

Extremely hot and extremely oily. I know it's supposed to be over-the-top, but I hated the mouthfeel.

I also wasn't particularly fond of Gordon Ale, the imperial Red. I love hoppy red ales, so I was really looking forward to it, but it was SO hoppy that it ended up being weirdly... cloying. Not just sweet from the malt (although it's pretty big, too) - the hops almost tasted sweet and cloying, they were so overwhelming. It's like it was so bitter it couldn't become any more bitter, so it rolled through all the way to the side of sweetness.

With that said, other Oskar Blues I've had (especially Dale's Pale), I've absolutely loved. Dale's Pale, in particular, I find to be one of the most balanced, drinkable hoppy pale ales. The other two are just so far out of balance, so big and sweet and sticky, that I just can't drink 'em.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #30
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc22 View Post
Being that you painted with such a broad brush, I'm pretty confident in saying that if you're serious, the problem is definitely your taste buds.
LoneWolfPR Likes This 

Quick Reply