Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Gordon Biersch Pils

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 09:06 PM   #1
OSUmoney83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Location: In the heart of buckeye nation, now (2012) in Scottsdale, Arizona
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Gordon Biersch Pils

Just picked up a Gordon Biersch pilsener sixer yesterday. Took a whiff, smelled grainy, just like boiling wort. Taste was rather bland, slight bitterness but no hop flavor or aroma. Didn't have that nice refreshing "bite" towards the end that I look for in a pilsner. There is a Gordon Biersch restaurant right in my area, but it tastes like this was shipped all the way from Cali. Ayone tried this brew before? I am looking for a great pilsner, I was in Stuttgart over the summer and was spoiled with Tannenzapfle?, Rothhaus pils, and other just incredible brews (Das Shwarze, so many liters of others I forget the names ). Let me know if you gotta a great pils reccomendation

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2005, 05:30 AM   #2
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Pilsner Urquell? Might as well try the original!

Old 03-10-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

North Coast Brwery in Fort Bragg, CA makes a good Pilsner. Probably not as good as the ones you had overseas, but maybe you could at least get it more fresh. It's called Scrimshaw Pilsner. They bottle, and I used to find it on the east coast.

It's hard to find a good one, since doing lagers requires a whole different equipment setup and a lot more time and storage space. So most microbrews stick to ales. And to make a Pilsner really well, there'd probably be water adjustments and other complex things that they don't have to deal with when making ales.

Let me know if you try Scrimshaw and what you think, and if you find a really good domestic one. Cheers!

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-11-2005, 03:58 AM   #4
OSUmoney83
Recipes 

Location: In the heart of buckeye nation, now (2012) in Scottsdale, Arizona
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll keep my eye out for that scrimshaw, theres a couple places around here with an amazing selection. I'll also post some updates on my domestic pilsener search.

I tried the Urquell not to long ago, didn't really do it for me. I used to think it was ok until I went to Germany, and until I found out that it was bought out by AMbev? Eurbev? or something and they changed part of the process, they don't let it age as long as it used too, something else maybe, I probably wouldn't be able to tell too much of a difference except psychologically I'd know it wasn't as good as it used to be. I found some Budwieser Budvar at the store and I'm thinking about giving that a try, not sure if its a pils or not though.

Old 03-11-2005, 04:11 AM   #5
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I want to know a good one, too...I assumed Urquell was it...and I like it a lot, but I want to know what a pilsner should be.

Quick Reply