Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Goose Island Harvest Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
Rhoobarb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Goose Island Harvest Ale

I picked up a sixer of Goose Island Harvest Ale over the weekend. I like to try as many Oktoberfest beers this time of year as I can and GI has always put out a pretty good one. But this year, they're foregoing an O'fest for this ale.

Anyone tried this? Interested if your assesment agrees with mine.

I really loved this stuff. It had a nice hop nose - not like an IPA, but definitely there. A real complex, malty taste. It has some O'fest flavor elements, but with the ale yeast and other malts used, it clearly isn't an O'fest. The best way I can descibe it is it just tastes like Fall in a bottle! I'd like to try and clone this beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
jvh261

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah, we noticed it at Sam's in Chicago right at the end of August. Since we were right across the street from Goose Island on Clybourn, we stopped in for a pint and they didn't even have it on tap yet and said that bottles had just started going out and that it was replacing Octoberfest as their fall seasonal. So we had a pint (or two) of a few other things and went back across the street and picked up a 12 pack. I think we've more or less had some in the house since then. SWMBO has taken a real liking to this beer. I dig it too.

I agree. Its a really great beer. Maybe my favorite hoppy beer I've had from Goose Island, as I'm not really a big fan of their IPA. My fiance described it as "its like Goose Island took a Red Hook and made it super kick ass." I think she nailed it.

from Goose Island's site:

Harvest Ale 5.7% ABV
Our latest creation is brewed in the style of a traditional American Extra Special Bitter (ESB). As Summertime fades, the sun shines less bright, and evening comes a little sooner. Harvest time arrives – it’s a time to reap the benefits of a great Summer. Fresh picked cascade hops from Washington and the richest Midwestern malts makes Goose Island Harvest Ale an extra special beer worthy of your devotion.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:52 AM   #3
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts

I tried a sample of it tonight at a small local annual blues and brews fest, there were about 20 brewers, actually a mix of micro brewers, brew pubs and a few beverage distributers.

I tried 2 of the GI beers and the harvest Ale was real good, went to the liquor store on hte way home but they diddnt have any.

I probably sampled 20 beers and only had to dump one, it was a "breakfast beer" a stout with coffee, milk and oatmeal. YUK

Old 10-14-2007, 04:33 AM   #4
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

I'm drinking more tonight.

Tastes like they used 1056, lots of dry hopping and some marris otter for the base.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
jvh261

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I will be as well. GI Harvest Ale has fast become SWMBO's favorite "12 pack" beer, meaning not including various belgians. I'm not sure how long this will be out there this season so she dropped the hint, "maybe we should stock up a bit".

My football sunday (haven't started drinking yet) will consist of Harvest Ale and what is left of my homebrewed IPA. And I might sneak a few of my Alpha King clones (been bottled 2 weeks).

Old 10-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
jonbeck14
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh261
I will be as well. GI Harvest Ale has fast become SWMBO's favorite "12 pack" beer, meaning not including various belgians. I'm not sure how long this will be out there this season so she dropped the hint, "maybe we should stock up a bit".

My football sunday (haven't started drinking yet) will consist of Harvest Ale and what is left of my homebrewed IPA. And I might sneak a few of my Alpha King clones (been bottled 2 weeks).
My SWMBO loves this stuff too, and I like it myself. I'm heading down to Bev Arts tomorrow night to bottle my first batch, and we were thinking about trying to make our next brew (at home this time) a clone of Goose Island's Harvest. Anyone have any suggestions on a recipe?

Old 10-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Playing around, I found some info on this beer on the gooseisland.com website, so I played around with this in beertools.

Harvest Ale Clone
10-C American Brown Ale

Size: 6.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 193.47 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.058 (1.045 - 1.060)
|=====================#==========|
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.010 - 1.016)
|====================#===========|
Color: 20.4 (18.0 - 35.0)
|==========#=====================|
Alcohol: 5.72% (4.3% - 6.2%)
|===================#============|
Bitterness: 33.47 (20.0 - 40.0)
|==================#=============|

Ingredients:
10.75 lbs Standard 2-Row
2.25 lbs Crystal 120
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1.75 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1.0 ea WYeast 1056 American Ale

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:33:00 Mash In - Liquor: 4.06 gal; Strike: 162.3 °F; Target: 150.0 °F
01:33:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 60.0 min; Final: 145.0 °F
01:43:00 Mash Out - Heat: 10.0 min; Target: 168.0 °F
02:28:00 Sparge - Sparge: 4.18 gal sparge @ 170.0 °F, 6.71 gal collected, 45.0 min; Total Runoff: 6.89 gal

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.28

Fall in love with it this fall!
As Summertime fades, the sun shines less bright, and evening comes a little sooner. Harvest time arrives - it's a time to reap the benefits of a great summer, when all your work pays off. Fresh-picked Cascade hops from Washington and the richest Midwestern malts make Goose Island Harvest Ale an Extra Special Beer worthy of your devotion.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Last edited by Cheesefood; 10-17-2007 at 04:17 PM.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I thought this was a good beer but too hoppy for a fall O-fest, but I guess that isn't what they were going for, the first time i had it I think I got it right when it came out and didn't have much time for the hops to mellow out at all, the aroma was all hops and really over powered the malt. it tasted good, and I could pick up on the malt.

The second time I got some though, the malt aroma came through alot more. I like that they used fresh cascade in it. I think that may make it a little more difficult to clone and achieve that same hop charactor unless of course you use fresh cascade. Unless i am reading it wrong, but it does sound like they used fresh (not dried) hops Right? oh well probably wrong but i am used to that.

Cheers

Old 10-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wop31
... Unless i am reading it wrong, but it does sound like they used fresh (not dried) hops Right? ...
That's how I read it.

I like that clone, Cheese. I found this clone, too. I'm gonna give ione of these a whirl as soon as my brewery is back in business.

Last edited by Rhoobarb; 10-17-2007 at 05:13 PM.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I picked some of this up Friday, it is pretty damn good. I also found Fat Tire in 20 oz. bottles. Sweet.

Made a pretty good beer score at some liquor store in La Grange.

Also got Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout, Breck Vanilla Porter, New Holland Mad Hatter IPA and Poet Stout, some rechid Leinie's Shandy (SWMBO insisted), and a case of Summit EPA.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Quick Reply