Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > goose island.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2006, 05:21 PM   #11
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'd spend $20 for a 4 pack of the BCS. It's my favorite beer.

In the bar, you pay $10 for a bottle, and that's awfully steep, but $5 a bottle? I'd pay that. It's seriously a unique beer experience!

Liking that, I was told to also try... I think it was... Rochefort(?) XXX. I've been looking for it, but haven't found it yet.

Anyway, after the BCS, my next favorite beers from there are Icarus (a very sweet malty ale, IIRC), their ESB, and their Hefe (although it seems to give me a bit of a hangover, oddly enough). Their Russian Imperial Stout is good too, but not as good as the Bourbon County Stout.

I don't like any of the beer that they sell in 6 packs. Except for the Honker's Ale, they all taste watery to me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2006, 05:28 PM   #12
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I was just able to pick up some of the IPA and the stout when I was up that way for Turkey Day. Haven't tried the stout yet but the IPA is killer. Very good.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 11-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #13
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have to say that their Honkers ale is a beer that I will not order again. It really didn't bring anything to the table.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #14
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sause
I have to say that their Honkers ale is a beer that I will not order again. It really didn't bring anything to the table.
I don't care for it either. But it's not as watery as some of Goose Island's other mass-produced brews.

The Honkers has an odd bit of bitter hoppiness to it and seems a little weak on the malt. But it's only like 4.3% ABV, so I guess that might be why. Forgetting the matter of sweetness, it just doesn't have much malt complexity. It is nevertheless a nice alternative to other commonly available brews. It's just not my cup of tea.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:20 AM   #15
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

they actually have these variety cases at my local distributor in PA... worth picking up?

im split between this and sam adams winter pack. Looking for a bottle source, so I assume these are bottle opener type bottles, correct?

Old 11-29-2006, 12:24 AM   #16
debtman7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkyBrew
they actually have these variety cases at my local distributor in PA... worth picking up?

im split between this and sam adams winter pack. Looking for a bottle source, so I assume these are bottle opener type bottles, correct?
Goose Island, on the whole, is a step up from sam adams. Not to bash SA, they are decent for a larger micro, but there are a lot better beers out there Goose Island isn't quite up there with the best, but they're pretty darn good beers. It's a staple purchase for lower priced micros I buy, along with Great Lakes Brewing...

Old 11-29-2006, 10:15 AM   #17
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

I know that Goose Island's 4-pack specialty beers are bottler-opener types. I only assume they use the same bottles for all their brewing.

Anyway, I disagree, to a point, with your assessment, debtman.

I think that Goose Island's beers that they sell in 6 packs are little, if any, better than Sam Adams and I would not buy either as a gift or as consumptables for a holiday feast. Don't mean to be a snob. I know that "brand names" mean a lot to people and there are people who would decline your offer of a Belgian Micro as if it were a white-labeled, black-lettered can named "Beer". Fortunately, I don't know anyone like that. Everybody I know would enjoy experimenting with booze and would look at it as an opportunity to expand their horizons. Booze is supposed to be fun, afterall, no? But I do agree that Sam Adams and Goose Island's 6 packs are roughly comparable. Personally, if I were buying, I would decline both of those brands and go with something else- Neither is all that spectacular for the price.

Oddly though, after slamming Goose Island above, I also have to disagree with your assessment that Goose Island isn't up there with the best. If that's your assessment, then I strongly urge you to sample their FOUR-packs, or stop by their brewpubs. I promise you- their best beer does NOT come in 6 packs.

I view their 6 pack beers as nothing more than a way to compete with the macrobrews. They put juuust enough flavor into them to make the drinker go "Whoa! Yum!" but don't add enough to really compare to the "good" beers. Their good beers, they keep in the brewpubs and sell in a brown cardboard 4-pack.

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 11-29-2006 at 10:20 AM.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:04 AM   #18
debtman7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never had the 6 pack variety pack, so I can't comment there

All I know is that I've tried all the goose island beers we can get here (oatmeal stout, honker's ale, 312, etc) and they've been better than anything I've had from SA (excluding my favorite SA, the Chocolate Bock). They've also been not as good as most of my favorite other micro brews (rogue, three floyds, bell's, new holland). That's where I put them. I know they make a ton of beers that aren't sold where I am, so of course I'm only referring to their more commercially distributed beers like the person asking the question is likely to find.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:35 PM   #19
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

HIJACK: Is three floyds really that good? They're just a hop skip and a jump away from me. I've been meaning to check them out....

I agree with you on the commercially produced beers from Goose Island. They really are the bottom of the barrel as far as microbrews are concerned... right there with Sam Adams, IMNSHO.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:06 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

I was just drinking the Goose Island Christmas Ale last night- and I really liked it! It was nicely hopped and rich and malty. That's the first time I've had it, and I think I'd buy it again.

I think SA is ok- I'll drink it when I go out and there is nothing else besides BMC. Saturday night we went out to a bar and they had Hacker Pschorr Octoberfest on tap. That's better than the BMC they had on tap, so we gave it a try. It was pretty good- I'm glad we have some choices in our little town.

Lorena

Quick Reply