New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Good introduction IPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
levtbeas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Good introduction IPA?

The first IPA I ever had was about 2 years ago, and I despised it. I think perhaps it was because I didn't appreciate it. I'd like to "break into them." As I understand it, you can develop your palate to be able to enjoy things you initially don't like.

So my question is the following: does anyone know of an IPA that would be a good introduction for me, without being far too bitter (as this would probably turn me off of them even more)? Something somewhat popular so that I could find it, or maybe something local (I'm in Nassau County, NY - I know Blue Point has "Hoptical Illusion"). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
sandyeggoxj
Head of Research and Development
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 59 Posts

New Belgium Ranger IPA? You could also try some of these trendy "Session IPA" beers that are floating around. They will have a lower overall bitterness to balance the low ABV. A lot of them are hop bursted so you get great hop flavor and aroma but have a lower bitterness.

You could also try more west coast pale ales as they will be a step down from a true ipa, but still hoppy.

It might be impossible to get out there, but a month or two ago I had a Palate Wrecker from Green Flash. It was exactly like easting a hop cone. Incredibly crisp and clean hop character that was so delightful.

It is good that you want to like IPAs. They say there are two kinds of beer drinkers, those who like IPA and those who are wrong.

*Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion

Old 03-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
levtbeas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyeggoxj View Post
New Belgium Ranger IPA? You could also try some of these trendy "Session IPA" beers that are floating around. They will have a lower overall bitterness to balance the low ABV. A lot of them are hop bursted so you get great hop flavor and aroma but have a lower bitterness.

You could also try more west coast pale ales as they will be a step down from a true ipa, but still hoppy.

It might be impossible to get out there, but a month or two ago I had a Palate Wrecker from Green Flash. It was exactly like easting a hop cone. Incredibly crisp and clean hop character that was so delightful.

It is good that you want to like IPAs. They say there are two kinds of beer drinkers, those who like IPA and those who are wrong.
Hey thanks a lot for the quick response. Yea, the people with whom I drink adore IPAs and always wonder how I can love beer and hate IPA...I'm past due to start drinking them.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I've heard of Palate Wrecker before, and have heard good things. I'm gonna pick something up for tonight so I'll look for that and the Belgium Ranger. Thanks again!

Old 03-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
plankbr
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Bell's 2 Hearted, Founder's Centennial IPA, Schlafly A IPA to name a few.

Fermenting: RIS, Galaxy IIPA, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Mosaic APA, Fezziwig's Fizz, Not Just for Breakfast Stout, Fresh Squeezed IPA, Cherry Stout, Centennial Blonde, Galaxy IIPA, Chocolate Coconut Porter, Oliver's IPA, Mosaic APA II, Dead Ringer IPA, Oliver's Oil (American Stout), Wait On the Plank Pale Ale, Fresh Squeezed IPA II
http://phish.servebeer.com

mbobhat Likes This 
Old 03-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3869 Times on 2826 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by plankbr View Post
I was going to suggest Bell's Two Hearted myself. It's an all centennial beer, but it's got some caramel malt sweetness to it, so while it's bitter it's also balanced with hops aroma and flavor with the caramel malt.

I find Ranger very harsh, and wouldn't recommend it.

Sam Adams has one that I sort of like, and I thought I wouldn't. I think it's a "white IPA" and that may be a lower IBU introduction to IPAs.
mbobhat Likes This 
Old 03-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
sandyeggoxj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I find ranger to be sweet and light on the hops. I had a fresh bottle too. I guess my tastebuds are TOO ipa centric...

That is the issue with these types of questions. Palates are so different.

I really like my IPAs to be clean and dry to really highlight the hop and focus less on the malt. I guess it is a west coast thing.

mbobhat Likes This 
Old 03-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
HomebrewCraig
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Lagunitas Sucks, Sierra Nevada IPA, Fresh Squeezed IPA by Deschutes... Three good examples that will not make you pucker up, and if you don't care for them, you're out only about $10 per six pack.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
sandyeggoxj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by levtbeas View Post
Hey thanks a lot for the quick response. Yea, the people with whom I drink adore IPAs and always wonder how I can love beer and hate IPA...I'm past due to start drinking them.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I've heard of Palate Wrecker before, and have heard good things. I'm gonna pick something up for tonight so I'll look for that and the Belgium Ranger. Thanks again!
Do you drink what they drink? Or at least taste it? How bad do you want to like IPA?

Old 03-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
Conestoga
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by plankbr View Post
This post nailed it, IMO. Lagunitas IPA is also a pretty good addition to this list.

Peeper, MO and Zoe(Amber) from Maine Beer Co are Pale Ale's, but they are hoppy enough to be considered a gateway to IPA.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
Phil_Ozzy_Fer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would suggest trying Greene King IPA. (It's a British beer) It's maybe not the best beer, (my opinion) but it's a good representation of the style. Otherwise, maybe try Goose Island IPA. (From the USA). It's also a fairly solid example of an IPA. Since the style guidelines allow for a range of ingredients to be used, and it's a popular style, there is considerable variety to choose from. Everyone's palate is a bit different, and so I would suggest, that aside from the two I mentioned, you try a few different ones. There's some great suggestions other people replied with as well. If you live near a liquor store that has a range to choose from, maybe you could sort of build your own 6-pack and see what you prefer.

Quick Reply