Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Good beers from Dead Breweries?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
ao125
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Good beers from Dead Breweries?

So recently I went river tubing with some friends of mine and got absolutely sloshed. On the way back we decided we needed fried chicken and stumbled across a Roy Rogers (which was a rare sighting anyway). Connected to the parking lot was a liquor store that looked like it had been there since dirt was clean. I wandered to the back where the beer was and looked up in the rafters, and oddly enough, they had a small supply of craft beer. I wasn't thinking clearly, so I just picked the four pack with the highest abv and the most dust I could find.

Low and behold, it was a 6.5% Altbier from Heavyweight Brewing which sadly closed in 2006!
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/393/4198

I finally chilled one down and cracked it open. Minimal to no head, but really nice candied fruit, dark sugar, and malt coming through.

It made me sad that the brewery wasn't around anymore - but it got me wondering what beers other people have found out there from dead breweries.

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply