Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Gone Pro. Kind of.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #11
FastAndy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Thanks for the replies and encouregment. So day two. Every step at this capacity is a lot to remember, its not just "did i drop XYZ in the bucket of Star san?" Every step at this scale involes what will happen when i turn this valve? Where does it go? Is it beer in the line? is it caustic? Is it an acid bath? is it going to spray me in the face and make me sad, hot cold etc. Today i was racking 100 bbls of amber in to half bbl kegs. Our setup i a two station keg bench that washes/sanitizes one keg while filling another keg that is hooked up to a bright tank or serving vessel at the same time. Its a lot of lifting, basically you start with an empty dirty shell, load it to the cleaning side and start the machine. Then move the clean empty to the filling side and load a second dirty empty. The next step is to push a clean keg full of beer off of the machine and on to a tire on the floor, move the second now clean shell onto the filling side and load a dirty empty onto the machine in the cleaning side, move the full keg onto a pallet and repeat. We load 8 half bbl kegs onto a pallet and today I killed a 100bbl brite tank of amber into kegs so you can do the math. Its hard labor intensive work but it beats sitting at a desk. I can honestly say that at the end of the day when we I get to go sit at the bar and get to meet the regulars and see the restaurant full of people with a pint glass in front of them it makes my and the entire brewery crew's hard work seem worth while. We are closed this Monday for the holiday so until Tuesday night, Cheers and while you're enjoying your next pint try to think of the blood sweat and tears that go into making it.

Cheers!

Andy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 02:39 AM   #12
FastAndy
Recipes 

If anyone is still listening it has just been a lot more of the same. I feel much more comfortable handing things that were once "complicated" to me like transfers from fermenters to serving and bright tanks. Checking carbonation and CIP/CUP cleaning processes are seem like second nature now. I'm getting more and more time in the brewery everyday versus just legging and service yard work. All in all I couldn't be happier with the new gig. I am working our first beer festival this weekend so I get paid friday and Saturday to pour beer, drink beer and talk beer with reno's finest craft fans.

Cheers!

Old 06-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #13
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAndy View Post
If anyone is still listening it has just been a lot more of the same. I feel much more comfortable handing things that were once "complicated" to me like transfers from fermenters to serving and bright tanks. Checking carbonation and CIP/CUP cleaning processes are seem like second nature now. I'm getting more and more time in the brewery everyday versus just legging and service yard work. All in all I couldn't be happier with the new gig. I am working our first beer festival this weekend so I get paid friday and Saturday to pour beer, drink beer and talk beer with reno's finest craft fans.

Cheers!
I just don't know what to say, just so jellous Have fun this weekend!
One question what's CUP, i know Clean In Place but not CUP?

Old 06-19-2013, 03:14 AM   #14
cthulu1975
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Clean under pressure?

Old 06-19-2013, 03:18 AM   #15
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulu1975 View Post
Clean under pressure?
Makes sense

Old 06-19-2013, 03:29 AM   #16
FastAndy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulu1975
Clean under pressure?
Exactly. CIP is caustic and should not have any CO2 present to be effective. As high tech as it seems we will actually just use a shop vac to clear out CO2 before a caustic loop on our tanks. CUP is an acid cycle and is good to go under a co2 blanket.

Quick Reply