Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Gone Pro. Kind of.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
FastAndy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Gone Pro. Kind of.

I was just offered my first brewery job. I will be working in the production brewery for a national restaurant chain. Should be fun, starting off with lots of cellar work and slowly being brought in and trained in the brewery as well.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
argyle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

Congratulations on the new job!

Old 05-17-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
FastAndy
Recipes 

Thanks! I start next Wednesday. In really anxious to be brewing on a 50 bbl system instead of 5 gallons.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
427Cobra
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

That is awesome. You mind sharing your background, why you think they hired you?? I'm really jealous is all.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
FastAndy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427Cobra
That is awesome. You mind sharing your background, why you think they hired you?? I'm really jealous is all.
Well as I sated before this will be my first brewery job so my background is not too impressive. I've held many jobs from construction labor to million + dollar electrical wholesale project management. I will be starting at the very bottom and putting in my time with whatever grunt work and basic tasks the throw at me. I'm a quick learner and don't mind getting my hands dirty so I think that showed in the interview. I'm willing to haul grain, load trucks, clean tanks, wash/fill kegs, bottle, anything to to get a foot in the door.

I'll keep you and anyone else interested posted as far what it's like to actually brew for a living. It's definitely not a job you take for the money......

Cheers!

Old 05-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
427Cobra
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Awesome! Thanks for the response and best of luck to you. I would def be interested in hearing the trials and tribulations.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
FastAndy
Recipes 

Quick update after my first day. First off, its awesome. Its tough, its either hotter than comfortable in the brewhouse or extremely cold in the walk in fridge where the serving tanks, lager tank and a couple of the 50bbl tanks are kept. Today i racked 50bbls of hefe, filled kegs and basically watched and tried to pick up as much as possible. I also learned that tri clamps and I do not get along. I'm sore, i'm sure I smell horribly and my hands and feet are going to be blistered. We had a shipment going out today that consisted on 32 pallets with 8 half barrels each that go on to the semi's via forklift but are pushed slightly uphill with a pallet jack the rest of the way in to the truck. Half of the pallets were stacked 2 high so it was really pushing 16 half barrel kegs at roughly 165lbs each slightly up hill with a pallet jack, good times. It's interesting to see the things that we do as homebrewers are pretty much the same but completley different at the 100bbl scale. It's a lot to take in in just one day, the brewer I work with says he learns something everyday even after 12 years as a pro. It's going to be a hell of a learning curve but I am excited to go back tomorrow.

Cheers!

Old 05-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Nicegirl
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Wonderful

Sounds like a great opportunity to do something you really love. Congratulations on the new position!

Old 05-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Gitmoe
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAndy View Post
Quick update after my first day. First off, its awesome. Its tough, its either hotter than comfortable in the brewhouse or extremely cold in the walk in fridge where the serving tanks, lager tank and a couple of the 50bbl tanks are kept. Today i racked 50bbls of hefe, filled kegs and basically watched and tried to pick up as much as possible. I also learned that tri clamps and I do not get along. I'm sore, i'm sure I smell horribly and my hands and feet are going to be blistered. We had a shipment going out today that consisted on 32 pallets with 8 half barrels each that go on to the semi's via forklift but are pushed slightly uphill with a pallet jack the rest of the way in to the truck. Half of the pallets were stacked 2 high so it was really pushing 16 half barrel kegs at roughly 165lbs each slightly up hill with a pallet jack, good times. It's interesting to see the things that we do as homebrewers are pretty much the same but completley different at the 100bbl scale. It's a lot to take in in just one day, the brewer I work with says he learns something everyday even after 12 years as a pro. It's going to be a hell of a learning curve but I am excited to go back tomorrow.

Cheers!
That's awesome. I work at a very large LHBS. We also carry fresh grapes from South America, California, and Washington State. The grapes come in lugs on pallets. I can commiserate with pushing pallets up and down trailers at an angle. It's really tough work. The worst part is the spin. You learn quickly how to use the floor slats as leverage points like a climber. It's all good until you get your shoe stuck with a 1500lb pallet coming at you... Congrats on the new job. A commercial brewery is my next move.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
bigmike99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 26 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So awesome. Great way to pickup things if you're thinking of going bigger yourself as long as the top guys there are cool and let you learn. Good luck and keep this thread going.

Untappd-Mombo

Quick Reply