New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Go ahead and bash me, I like Sam Adams.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
Tankard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Go ahead and bash me, I like Sam Adams.

My work sponsored an event at a local bowling alley yesterday for children's charities, and nearly everyone (except the kids, of course) realized that bowling without beer is like golfing without golf clubs.

My boss wanted to buy us all shots, but I opted for a beer instead. They had a pretty typical beer selection... Bud, Miller, Corona, Widmer, Sam Adams, and a few others. My first round was a 22 oz Widmer Hefeweizen and it really wasn't very good. I've had this beer before but I don't remember it being so lacking in flavor. I'd sooner have a Pyramid than a Widmer if I wanted a commercial American hefe, but I don't drink those very often anyway. Then, round two, I had a Sam Adams Boston Lager (a beer I've had plenty of times before) and what a difference. I've never been blown away by this beer but after the Widmer, I realized how drinkable it really is. It really is a balanced lager, and it had a nice flavor and smoothness. I think I have a new found respect for it simply because I wouldn't be able to make a good lager on my own. It's brewed using decoction mashing which I have no clue how to do.

I know homebrewers have some sort of stigma against Sam Adams, even though the company was created by a homebrewer... I've heard terrible things about their Cherry Wheat, Lambic, and several others, but I've really enjoyed the beers I've had from them.... the Winter Ale, Irish Red, Black Lager, Honey Porter, and a couple others have all been pretty good.

Sam Adams isn't my favorite beer company, but I do not understand why they are so hated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Joe C
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sam Adams is the company that got me interested in trying different beers. I started with Sam Summer and loved it. I actually just cracked one a minute ago

Apfelwin does not play well with others. In fact, Apfelwein runs with scissors and yells obscenities at it's classmates :)
Project Monsterator! Click here for a howto on building a keezer! And how to ruin one!

Support a Brewing Soldier!

Old 06-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I have no problem with Sam Adams. Their Boston Lager is one of few mainstream lagers I like, and some of their specialty beers are quite good.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 06-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
MrFebtober
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've always had great respect for Sam Adams. They've become a huge brewing company yet they still have some respectable products, and a few fantastic ones, such as that Imperial Pilsner they came out with a while ago. The Boston Lager is still a great example of the style, and even though many of their other beers are less so, they are still great for introducing new beer drinkers to different styles of beer. I guess they are kind of like Mr. Beer in that way: they get a lot of people excited about beer by being accessible and inexpensive ($7.99 a sixer is cheap these days), yet pretty good. So, you're not alone.

IIRC, their scotch ale recently got a silver of bronze at GABF, too.

Primary 1: Oktoberfest Lager
Primary 2: Apricot Wit
Primary 3: Christmas Warmer MkII
Primary 4: Apfelwein
Bottle conditioning: Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale
Bottle conditioning: Brain Spawn Saison
Bottle conditioning: Hot Shot Rye Red
On Tap 1: Barletariot Cream Ale
On Tap 2: Apfelwein

Old 06-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I too like quite alot of the Sam Adams brews. Boston Lager and Summer Ale are 2 of my favorites. I love their commercials and they are the ones who brought grains of paradise into my consciousness. I plan on entering their Longshot contest next year.

And don't forget their hop lottery for small craft brewers this year...

Old 06-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
DrinksWellWithOthers
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I like certain SA beers. Mainly the Boston Lager, Oktoberfest and Winter Lager. I think sometimes people bash SA because they're a big company now and have become kind of mainstream.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like the SA bottles, and unless it's the Cranberry Lambic, I have no problem buying and consuming the contents to stock up on bottles for the homebrew.

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 06-02-2008, 12:39 AM   #8
GloHoppa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i enjoy sam adams too. granted i enjoy it a bit less now that im working for their main competitor in the northeast but the thing that really has disappointed me the most about SA was that i recently found out that even though they bill themselves as a new england, "boston" beer company, they do most of their brewing in ohio...the boston brewery is mostly a test facility!

it gave me a lot more respect for breweries like smuttynose and harpoon because they needed to expand but stayed in the northeast...

Primary: (empty)
Carboy: Apfelwein, aged 11 mo
Mr. Beer: (empty)
Bottled/Conditioning: (empty)

Planning: Belgian Pale Ale, Hop Harvest Ale

Old 06-02-2008, 12:53 AM   #9
Joe C
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

^^Wow, learning something new everyday.

GloHoppa, you're an insider now.

Apfelwin does not play well with others. In fact, Apfelwein runs with scissors and yells obscenities at it's classmates :)
Project Monsterator! Click here for a howto on building a keezer! And how to ruin one!

Support a Brewing Soldier!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #10
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloHoppa View Post
i enjoy sam adams too. granted i enjoy it a bit less now that im working for their main competitor in the northeast but the thing that really has disappointed me the most about SA was that i recently found out that even though they bill themselves as a new england, "boston" beer company, they do most of their brewing in ohio...the boston brewery is mostly a test facility!

it gave me a lot more respect for breweries like smuttynose and harpoon because they needed to expand but stayed in the northeast...
I don't really see the issue to be honest...their growth and distribution required some immediate expansion in brewing facilities plus the ability to satisfy regional demand. First they contract brewed in PA then they bought a brewery in OH (where Jim Koch is from). Now they are going into the former Strohs brewery outside of Allentown, PA (formerly Shaefer, Pabst and Diageo's but mostly known as a Strohs brewery).

Seems smart business unless there are a bunch of defunct breweries waiting for a new lease on life in the NE area....

Quick Reply