Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Fullers "Bengal Lancer" 5% IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
silverbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fullers "Bengal Lancer" 5% IPA

I thought I would inform any Fullers fans out there that they have a recent addition to the range. It is called Bengal Lancer, and is a 5% IPA.

Here is a link. http://www.fullers.co.uk/rte.asp?id=296

I have not managed to find it yet, but am seriously looking in all the supermarkets. I will find it soon. It should make a fine companion to ESB.

Blessed are the "cracked", for it is they who let in the light.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Fullers beer on cask is one of my favorite things about England, and I have a lot of favorite things about England.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbrewer View Post
I thought I would inform any Fullers fans out there that they have a recent addition to the range. It is called Bengal Lancer, and is a 5% IPA.

Here is a link. http://www.fullers.co.uk/rte.asp?id=296

I have not managed to find it yet, but am seriously looking in all the supermarkets. I will find it soon. It should make a fine companion to ESB.

I imagine you've tried their Porter and Pale Ale too right?! All amazing products and yes, the ESB is in my top five beers of all time.

Thanks for the head's up, I'll be on the lookout.. in fact this morning I'm going by this awesome brew store, I'll check it out!

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 04-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
silverbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I need to update this already as I have found a supply now and it turns out it is 5.3% ABV IPA and not 5 as I had said, and it is also bottle conditioned which was not mentioned.

I said it would make a good companion to my favourite ESB, but it would have been more accurate to have said London Pride....it is best described as a hoppier version of that, whereas ESB is much more fruity/malty with less of the hops as the up front taste. I would say this beer will suit the American liking for lots of hops, AKA an IPA! Over here, it is a seriously hoppy beer compared to the norm.

Notwithstanding all of that "old cobblers", I'm sure that after a hard day rushing around in a humid climate on the back of a horse, holding a bloody great spear all day, a pint of anything would have gone down well.

Reason: hoppiness

Old 04-18-2010, 02:05 AM   #5
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

drrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllll ll.

I love the ESB, London Porter and London Pride ales. Idaho USED to have them, now we don't.

Sad... friggen' religious controlled legislature.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbrewer View Post
Notwithstanding all of that "old cobblers", I'm sure that after a hard day rushing around in a humid climate on the back of a horse, holding a bloody great spear all day, a pint of anything would have gone down well.
I visited my local source for Fullers. Here in the states I'm stuck with never having a Fullers on tap so it's exported bottles or nothing. They didn't have the IPA yet but were first learning of it from me and they seemed excited. So hopefully they will be getting some soon. I'm glad it is a hoppier version of the London Price because if they screwed with that gem of an ESB it would be a travesty.

Any local clues/knowledge about the proper Fullers clone would be appreciated it's sort of one of my life's quests.

Kegged:

Old 04-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
silverbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Netflyer......pm sent..

I am part way through my brewery build, and when that's done I intend making a Fullers ESB clone. I am not interested in any other beer style as I learned that nothing else comes close at least a decade ago.

I will be brewing to niquejim's Full owl ESB recipe, as you have done, so as you are ahead of me, perhaps you could tell me how full Owl came out!

Once I get going I will keep on trying until I get it nailed, shoot myself, or die of old age, in that order!!!

Reason: pm

Old 04-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Ok, here's the thing... we basically need to ply one of the Fuller's workers with alcohol or extreme good nature for the secret ingredients. Important are the Mash temps and times and the exact hops.

I brewed and love Full Owl ESB but it's still not Fullers I've brewed an extract version with Target, Northern Brewer, and EKG and used Victory malt and it comes out pretty close. I'm thinking of modifying that for AG or just starting from a known great ESB recipe:

12# Maris Otter
1/2# 15L
1/4# 120L
Mash 152 for 60
2 oz EKG for 60
1 oz EKG at Flameout
Use Wyeast 1968 ferment at 65 and your off to the races...

Kegged:

Old 04-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
silverbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am searching the house for a Fullers recipe from an old book called "Brewing beers like those you buy" and any info out of old mags. All I can remember off hand is that Fullers use a "party gyle" system which is mixing brews together to get a desired result. I think it is done after fermentation but I could be talking cobblers.

The brewery is only 90 miles away! Perhaps I should go on one of their brewery tours and take covert surveillance equipment with me. Bet that'd go down like a fart in a space ship.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Hey Silverbrewer, I think other's have taken that tour and learned NOTHING! I tell ya you need to find a disgruntled employee It seems the recipe is a pretty well kept secret.

Btw, tried to PM you and it said you're PM's were full so, fix that so I can reply to your last PM

Thanks!

Kegged:

Quick Reply