Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Friday Night Tastings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 11:24 PM   #11
talleymonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale is pretty good. I Like it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2007, 12:26 AM   #12
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Nice pics MadTown...

Now how bout a self portait after all those brews have been consumed...

Old 09-29-2007, 01:33 AM   #13
Madtown Brew
Recipes 

heh. I wont even be able to hold the camera by then. Seriously, I'm on the Sam Smith and I'm already buzzing. GF won't help me w/ it, says it's too dark .

I'm in the chat and it's pretty lonely. Anyone care to join me and provide some encouragement? Right now, it's just me and Bender head,

drinking some beer

flanders red
Kegged:
Oktoberfest

Old 10-20-2007, 01:34 AM   #14
Madtown Brew
Recipes 

After a two week hiatus, FNT has returned.

On the list for tonight are:
Great Divide Brewing Co. "Titan IPA" - Brewed in Denver, CO.
Flying Monkey "Amber Ale" - Brewed by EME Squared Brewing Co., Olathe, KS.
** unfortunately, due to personal scheduling conflicts, these two brews got themselves quaffed without care for notetaking. I'll try to hit them up again in the future. What I do remember was that the Flying Monkey was good, and the Titan IPA was too bitter (for me).

El Toro Brewing Co. "Poppy Jasper" - Brewed in Morgan Hill, CA.

The head dissapates quickly- this beer has a beautiful amber-red color and is very slightly hazy. Aroma is spicy, slightly fruty and with a hint of hops. The flavor is spicy/peppery, initially sweet but finishing moderately dry after swallowing - also a bit bitter in the end. I like this one, it has a very interesting character.

16/20

Sand Creek Brewing Co. "Badger Porter" - Brewed in Black River Falls, WI

Very little head formation, even with an un-delicate pour. The beer is dark in color with a hint of garnet when light is passed through it – moderately hazy as well. Aroma is subtle, with some roasty/coffee scents and a slightly coppery character. Flavor is roasty, not very sweet, and again, a little bit metallic. Rather a clean beer with no fruity flavors that I can pick up, and a low bitterness. Mouthfeel is a bit too thin for my tastes, though it is creamy towards the finish. All in all, an unremarkable brew, IMHO.

11/20

Tommyknocker "Butthead" - Brewed in Idaho Springs, CO.

This brew is lighter than I had expected, being more amber in color than most doppelbocks out there. Aroma is typically malty and somewhat grainy as well. Flavor is deliciously complex; caramel sweet at first and moderately malty, yielding to a mildly fruity character of grapes or plums. At the end, I also get a kind of “wet wood” flavor/aroma coming through. This is the same flavor I previously (and incorrectly) labeled as “wood aged” in the Rogue “Dead Guy” ale. Again, no mention of wood aging on Tommyknocker’s website. So, if anyone can tell me where this flavor comes from, or has a better descriptor for it, please chime in.

Good Beer!
17/20

flanders red
Kegged:
Oktoberfest

Old 10-20-2007, 03:51 AM   #15
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

SWMBO brought me home some Buffalo Bill Brewing Pumpkin beers! First time ever she bought beer for me. Progress Not that she has a problem with it, she just doesn't know jack poo about beer.

Anyway, I plan to knock off a couple of those if I like them. I've never had pumpkin beer, so I don't know. If not, I'll try to get through some of the New Belgiums I still have. I need the bottles

UPDATE: The pumpkin beer is good, but the bottles ate twisties. BOOOOOOOO!!!

You only get so many calories in life. Enjoy every single one.

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

Old 10-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #16
Melana
Up to no good....
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1511 Times on 909 Posts
Likes Given: 957

You guys have been speaking with my husband! We had a very nice mixed six last night... Stouts, porters, and IPA's.
Tasty goodness.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:22 AM   #17
Neomich
Recipes 

I picked up some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Stone IPA and some winter Blue Moon.

I really liked the SNPA. I bought a clone recipe today to satisfy my thirst for more of this. Very good beer.

I'm probably alone on this opinion but I'm not that impressed with the Stone. It's got a great floral hoppy aroma but overall, I don't see me buying more of this. I like IPA's but maybe I just got bad one or my palate is wanting something different.

That Blue Moon winter version wasn't very flavorful or exciting. I know it's made by Coors but I do like the original Blue Moon. I won't be buying this again. Waste of money.

I did get turned on to the SNPA and I can see this being a staple in my refrigerator. If nothing else, the other beers provided empty bottles.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:56 AM   #18
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Never saw this thread before, but I like the idea. Perhaps we can do a weekly beer club. SOmeone selects a beer and posts it on Monday, along with a link to a place where we can order it (in case it's not something local). Then on Friday night we all meet in the chat room and drink and review.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:59 AM   #19
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Never saw this thread before, but I like the idea. Perhaps we can do a weekly beer club. SOmeone selects a beer and posts it on Monday, along with a link to a place where we can order it (in case it's not something local). Then on Friday night we all meet in the chat room and drink and review.
I agree +1

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 10-21-2007, 02:03 AM   #20
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Good idea, just impractical. It's so hard to find something interesting that's available to most people, so much of the great craft beer is pretty local in nature (as it should be). I'm also not stoked about paying S&H every week, and are there really that many places online to order beer? That's still pretty highly restricted, isn't it?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply