HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > "Free the hops" calls to Boycott A-B, but err...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2813 Times on 1978 Posts
Likes Given: 1694

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalt View Post
So what do you propose?
Residents of the state of Alabama should tell their beer stores that they want them to stock more craft beer.

Stores should tell their distributors that they want to stock more craft beer.

Craft brewers should tell their state that the people want more options on the shelf.

FTH getting in a tit-for-tat war with AB is not going to accomplish anything. Frankly, I doubt anything is going to happen there for a long time. If the people of the state of Alabama wanted all of this, they would have been lobbying for this along time ago. It's only a slim minority that care enough about homebrewing and craft beer to say anything, and until they can get enough people on their side, AB is going to leverage their size and financial resources to their advantage.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
gwalt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Residents of the state of Alabama should tell their beer stores that they want them to stock more craft beer.

Stores should tell their distributors that they want to stock more craft beer.

Craft brewers should tell their state that the people want more options on the shelf.

FTH getting in a tit-for-tat war with AB is not going to accomplish anything. Frankly, I doubt anything is going to happen there for a long time. If the people of the state of Alabama wanted all of this, they would have been lobbying for this along time ago. It's only a slim minority that care enough about homebrewing and craft beer to say anything, and until they can get enough people on their side, AB is going to leverage their size and financial resources to their advantage.
We should probably have a hug-out too. Come on.

Actually you're incorrect, FTH Boycotted the same Bud distributor in 2008-9 which led to the passage of the Gourmet Beer bill raising our ABx limits. So this type of thing works, it is truly the only ORGANIZED way to make it work. And you have to remember, we're trying to hit the WHOLESALER/DISTRIBUTOR who is not AB/InBev.

FTH has thousands of members and we're doing exactly what you're talking about. We're a unified voice for change, we have a paid lobbyist to help, we have people on the ground in every city. I can't understand your opposition unless you're working in the 'industry.'

Primary - Apricot Ale
Secondary - none
Kegged - Four the Pale ale, Amber ale, Janet's brown
Bottled - Flanders red, barrel aged Belgian IPA, Oud Bruin clone

Old 04-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I work for a tool and die shop. I just don't understand how the craft breweries really appreciate a push to boycott them, that's all.

So you are saying the distributors are the ones who blocked the passage of this bill, or it was AB??

Old 04-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #14
gwalt
Recipes 

I just messing with you a little. It is the Bud distributors in the state that are causing the problems. They also have the weakest craft portfolios here as well. One of the AB/InBev lobbyists has been here once or twice at the behest of the local distributors. Alabama is about 1-3 years behind many other states (laugh it up) in the craft beer scene and probably a significant market for bud. I'm sure the craft breweries don't appreciate the boycott, but is really isn't about them but their distributor. (I promise I'm not trying to come off as a jerk..)

Tool and die show eh? So what you're saying is that you probably build my brew stand!

Primary - Apricot Ale
Secondary - none

Old 04-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
gwalt
Recipes 

Extra curricular reading:

http://www.freethehops.org/blog/2011...t-the-boycott/

http://www.freethehops.org/blog/2011/04/some-details/

http://www.freethehops.org/blog/2011...-great-divide/

http://www.freethehops.org/blog/2011...=Google+Reader

Primary - Apricot Ale
Secondary - none

Old 04-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #16
shelly_belly
Got My Mojo Workin'
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
Did you bother to read the link? Free the Hops tried to get a bill passed that would legalize 22oz and 750ml bottles, A-B fought against the bill, and the bill didn't pass. Alabama is the only state in the country that doesn't allow beer in those bottle sizes. So A-B basically prevented Great Divide and Avery (who have a lot of beer in 22oz bottles) from even being legally allowed to sell those in the state.
Not true. I've been buying 22oz & 750ml bottle size beers (including Great Divide) for at least 6 months now. It must be a county thing.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:43 AM   #17
gwalt
Recipes 

Do you ever leave said county? It is one of 2 that allow large containers. Hence Good People Brewing Co. calling their series County Line ales. FTH are trying to help everyone in the state. Generally it IS the entire state.

Primary - Apricot Ale
Secondary - none

Old 04-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalt View Post
I just messing with you a little. It is the Bud distributors in the state that are causing the problems. They also have the weakest craft portfolios here as well. One of the AB/InBev lobbyists has been here once or twice at the behest of the local distributors. Alabama is about 1-3 years behind many other states (laugh it up) in the craft beer scene and probably a significant market for bud. I'm sure the craft breweries don't appreciate the boycott, but is really isn't about them but their distributor. (I promise I'm not trying to come off as a jerk..)

Tool and die show eh? So what you're saying is that you probably build my brew stand!
I'd never build a stand for jerk like you!!

Just kidding. 8D

Actually, I'm the IT guy there. But I do have a decent set of tools at home and access to, and at least working knowledge of, most of the equipment at the shop.

It's my goal to build an electric brew rig for myself by end of summer, but I'm still trying to decide exactly what I want, RIMS or HERMS. But yeah, the welding, cutting, grinding part I could do easily.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #19
gwalt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I'd never build a stand for jerk like you!!

Just kidding. 8D

Actually, I'm the IT guy there. But I do have a decent set of tools at home and access to, and at least working knowledge of, most of the equipment at the shop.

It's my goal to build an electric brew rig for myself by end of summer, but I'm still trying to decide exactly what I want, RIMS or HERMS. But yeah, the welding, cutting, grinding part I could do easily.
While I was building the extension box for my dorm fridge/fermentation chamber I told the Mrs. that I wanted to go electric in the new garage we built. The look on the her face spoke a thousand profanities. As she was holding our newborn she said, I would like your daughter to know you. *OUCH* The electric rig will have to wait.

Primary - Apricot Ale
Secondary - none

Old 04-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #20
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Wow! That had to hurt. My wife trusts me. Not sur emy daughter does after I accidentally shorted my pocketknife while looking into turning an old pitching machine into a pottery wheel... Meh. only 90VDC...

Quick Reply