Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > "Free the hops" calls to Boycott A-B, but err...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
chumprock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default "Free the hops" calls to Boycott A-B, but err...

I saw Great Divide making comments in twitter today about them being tangled up by a boycott in Alabama where they think anything distributed under A-B must be evil, and therefore boycotted...

Breaking: Free the Hops boycotts Anheuser-Busch and their distributors in Alabama

Anyone know this group that could maybe appeal to their reasoning? I dont understand what this boycott actually accomplishes other than gurting the sales of Avery/Great Divide in Alabama.

I think the boycott is silly considering I doubt any of them (being craft beer enthusiasts) would bother to drink much AB product anyway.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Did you bother to read the link? Free the Hops tried to get a bill passed that would legalize 22oz and 750ml bottles, A-B fought against the bill, and the bill didn't pass. Alabama is the only state in the country that doesn't allow beer in those bottle sizes. So A-B basically prevented Great Divide and Avery (who have a lot of beer in 22oz bottles) from even being legally allowed to sell those in the state.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 04-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
gwalt
Recipes 

You missed the point. The A-B distro's are essentially harming their clients by working against the Free The Hops legislation.

Primary - Apricot Ale
Secondary - none
Kegged - Four the Pale ale, Amber ale, Janet's brown
Bottled - Flanders red, barrel aged Belgian IPA, Oud Bruin clone

Old 04-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
chumprock
Recipes 

Yes, I did.
I don't understand why they would lump breweries that distribute through them (which you also noted suffers from the limitation) into the boycott.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
gwalt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumprock View Post
Yes, I did.
I don't understand why they would lump breweries that distribute through them (which you also noted suffers from the limitation) into the boycott.
Because every drop of beer sold by that distro generates profit FOR.... the distro (and the brewery.) What should happen is that the breweries (who knew how A-B acts) should call their distro to stop working against them.

Primary - Apricot Ale
Secondary - none

Old 04-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
chumprock
Recipes 

Yes, I do understand that.. but at the same time if the people who would most drink those craft beers boycott them, you are going to have breweries just pull out of your market.
(Which seems to be counter to the cause)

I guess the next question I have is, how many options for distribution are there in Alabama?

Old 04-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2135 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

So why would a brewery push to keep their options limited?

Exactly.

But shame on FTH for punishing the breweries who are distributed under AB.

Anyway, people who are aware of FTH are not likely to buy ANY AB product, so the only real punishment is going to go to those CRAFT brewers who are distributed by AB, not the AB beers themselves, so what does AB care if Avery or Great Divide loses sales?? They will make up for it with one of their other products.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
gwalt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumprock View Post
Yes, I do understand that.. but at the same time if the people who would most drink those craft beers boycott them, you are going to have breweries just pull out of your market.
(Which seems to be counter to the cause)

I guess the next question I have is, how many options for distribution are there in Alabama?
They're not going to pull out. In the Birmingham market at least 5 or more. The other markets I am not so sure. It isn't a vast wasteland down here.

Primary - Apricot Ale
Secondary - none

Old 04-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
gwalt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
But shame on FTH for punishing the breweries who are distributed under AB.
So what do you propose?

Primary - Apricot Ale
Secondary - none

Old 04-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
gwalt
Recipes 

Boycotting Bud brands alone would be pointless. The people that drink AssLight in Alabama don't care about FTH or about good beer. But targeting the distributors, who are playing dirty politics in Montgomery, you apply leverage by virtue that the breweries call their distributor and raise hell. Otherwise there are few chips to play.

It is unfortunate how it works out, but sometimes you have to make a tough decision to move forward. Sure it is a risky move, but it takes courage to make that decision. If someone leaves there will be another to fill the void. Thank God for the craft revolution.

On a side note, in the mix is helping Alabama breweries grow. Unfortunately one of our own is caught in the middle of this. But they're working to bring their distro to the table to negotiate and not jerk FTH around. On a side note: B'ham Bud markets themselves to prospective breweries as responsible and supporters of the ABV restriction removals. If these breweries actually believed that then....

Most other states don't have to work through this crap we have.

Primary - Apricot Ale
Secondary - none

Quick Reply