The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Founders Brewing Company

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Default Founders Brewing Company

Went to Founders, in Grand Rapids, MI this holiday season and had a few of their beers.

Abominable Iceman - A spiced Ale. I had no idea what to expect with this, and to be honest, the spices were pretty strong to start with. After a few swallows, I grew more used to it, and really kind of liked it. I'm no good at giving detailed tasting reports, but it's basically a Christmas Ale with more spice flavors than I've had in any others. I think it's worth trying if you can find it. A quick look at their website says that they no longer have it on tap.

Harvest Ale - Yep, a Wet Hop Ale! I missed Sierra Nevada's this year, and really wanted to try it. Bought it in a 4-pack from the cooler at the brewery, and let me tell you it was not cheap! BUT! It is a damn tasty beer! Frankly, I had heard so much about the SN version, that I thought I was setting myself up for a let down, but this beer had so much fresh hops flavor that it may have moved up to the top of my preference list! Too bad it's only available for a limited time...

Backwoods Bastard - Basically it's their Dirty Bastard "Dark ruby in color and brewed with ten varieties of imported malts this beer continuously lives up to its reputation as a bold and powerful ale. Dirty Bastard is complex in the finish with hints of smoke and peat paired with a malty richness, finalized with a good bit of hop attitude." Except that it's been Bourbonized. A very tasty beer for that style, and I probably wouldn't choose it every day, but it's just right for those times where you want a bit of something different. Also a limited edition.

Well, I ended up buying a 4-pack of Harvest and a 4-pack of the Backwoods, and I think I dropped like $23... Youch! Well, it was like a christmas present to myself I guess. Anyway, the beer was well it for the experience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 04:47 AM   #2
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Founders is awesome. I recently bought a four-pack of the Backwoods Bastard. It's fantastic. Now if I could just get my hands on some Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Their brewpub is a great place too. I wish they were around when I lived in the GR area.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Old 01-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
capcrnch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I love Founders brews.

I'll be in GR for the Beerfest next month. I'm hoping to spend the weekend out there and make a "Hopcat/Founders" hop.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Jared311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The breakfast stout is one of my favorites. I have one aging and can't wait to open her up.

Sláinte,
Jared311

Old 01-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared311 View Post
The breakfast stout is one of my favorites. I have one aging and can't wait to open her up.
I still have a breakfast stout in the fridge. It's not something I'd drink every day, but it's def good and I'm saving it for that right moment.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
Jared311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I still have a breakfast stout in the fridge. It's not something I'd drink every day, but it's def good and I'm saving it for that right moment.
How long have you been aging it?

Sláinte,
Jared311

Old 01-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The Breakfast Stout is damn tasty, but a little hot at first. Bed it down for a couple months and it rounds out nicely.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared311 View Post
How long have you been aging it?
Well, I'm really aging it if it's in the fridge. Just waiting until I feel like drinking something with a strong coffee and chocolate flavor.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
OLB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Harvest Ale is really good. Looks like I should give their other beers a try as well. $10 for a 4 pack is a little steep though.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
icu812
Recipes 

I just picked up a six pack of founders porter & it is very tasty. The breakfast stout is also real good.

Smellin like a brewery lookin like a tramp ain't got a quarter got a postage stamp and a five o'clock shadow boxing all around the town talking with the old men sleeping on the ground.

Quick Reply