New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Founders




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
boostsr20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 807
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Founders

So I just left there and I've never been let down by this place or a single beer they have produced. The limited taproom only beer selection is phenomenal and the food is first rate. The regular beers are better than when bottled and the one offs keep me coming back. I wish all of you had the chance to sample this first rate world class brew.



__________________
boostsr20 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #2
Skyforger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ada, MI
Posts: 569
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

IMHO, Founders is the best brewing asset Michigan has. And we have some good brewers here.

Jolly Pumpkin is great too, but a bit more niche.



__________________
Skyforger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 03:16 AM   #3
cyberwollf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 203
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Soon as all this ice and snow melt, I got a trip planned to check it out. Prolly in March, since my sat morning BJCP classes end then. Also should put me in the time window for KBS.

__________________
cyberwollf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
RiseAgainstMe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Okemos, Michigan
Posts: 77
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Yea I can't wait to get out there and visit. So far everything I have had from them is great.

__________________
RiseAgainstMe is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
boostsr20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 807
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwollf View Post
Soon as all this ice and snow melt, I got a trip planned to check it out. Prolly in March, since my sat morning BJCP classes end then. Also should put me in the time window for KBS.
Try to plan it for their black party. You will not be disappointed. Just look up the offerings they had last year. I believe it's in April.
Fav tonight was the kaiser curmudgeon. Old ale aged in maple barrels.

I agree, founders is the best Michigan brewer hands down. That says a lot when we have bells, shorts, JP, dark horse, kuhnhenns, etc...
__________________
boostsr20 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
Homercidal
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 22,106
Liked 1663 Times on 1208 Posts
Likes Given: 943

Default

Founders has the best beer IMO. But I've been to the taproom twice when it's just packed. Both times I've ended up going to Hopcat instead and that's a nice place too. No you don't get the special beer there, but their food is great and beer selection is huge.

I wish Founders would make more room for customers now that they've grown up a bit.

__________________
Homercidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Skyforger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ada, MI
Posts: 569
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Homercidal: you really need to go at the right times. The taproom is a popular hangout for people who work in the area, both for lunch and after-work. The weekends are also quite full in the evening.

They are expanding their brewery about twofold right now. I suppose that's a bigger priority than that taproom, which, to be fair, is already pretty big. It's almost a beerhall.

But Hopcat is quite the boon to beer-lovers as well. '#3 beer bar in the world' after all! And right around there we have Graydon's Crossing, and now Brewery Vivant....I think Grand Rapids might be better than Portland for beer. Srsly.

boostsr20: I would mention North Peak as being a great example of that 'etc.' New Holland also has its moments.

__________________
Skyforger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
boostsr20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 807
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

They just did a remodel after Christmas. The floor space towards the stage is pretty much the same but where you'd go to order food has been pushed back and there is a lot of seating all the way down to where the bathrooms are.

I've had a few good beers from North Peak, but its mostly when I go in there. The stuff they bottle so far, except for the IPA hasn't been as good as I hoped. New Hollands kinda the same way. They have a few awesome beers, but the rest are just lacking.

EDIT: I've never been to hopcat.... Its tough for me to drive to GR and not go to Founders. The wife and I love the food and all the beer is world class and you know something special will always be on tap. Also, I've heard a lot of people complain of hopcats high prices for beer. Founders beers are $2 more than what they go for at founders. Someday I'll make it in there. I'd also like to hit up the Kalamazoo Beer Exchange someday. Brewery Vivant looks really nice too. Can't wait to try some at the fest.

__________________
boostsr20 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Homercidal
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 22,106
Liked 1663 Times on 1208 Posts
Likes Given: 943

Default

I'm not a big fan of North Peak. I think they have decent beer, but their bottles are average at best, and the beer on tap is usually pretty good, but nothing knocked my socks off so far. It's been a while and I should probably go back and try them again, but with Right Brain right next door...

Brewery Vivant looks exciting! We went on opening weekend and the place was nearly packed. Found a place to sit and THEN remembered that they didn't take cards. After hunting briefly for an ATM, we said screw it and went to Hopcat.

I like the look of the place and the beer sounds intriguing, but I just got a tweet that said they were going to add a TV (powered by a bike). So IMO that clashes with the atmosphere they were trying to achieve. I'm not putting down the desire to compete with other places for the Superbowl (although I think the kind of people who dislike the Superbowl are the kind of people who would enjoy going to Brewery Vivant if nothing more than to avoid the crowds at the sports bars), I just think that a classy place like that adding a bike-powered TV is gimmicky.

The music was a bit loud for me there too. I sort of expected it a bit quieter, so you could chat with friends and new friends you meet there. Maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy.

__________________
Homercidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
Skyforger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ada, MI
Posts: 569
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostsr20 View Post
They just did a remodel after Christmas. The floor space towards the stage is pretty much the same but where you'd go to order food has been pushed back and there is a lot of seating all the way down to where the bathrooms are.

I've had a few good beers from North Peak, but its mostly when I go in there. The stuff they bottle so far, except for the IPA hasn't been as good as I hoped. New Hollands kinda the same way. They have a few awesome beers, but the rest are just lacking.

EDIT: I've never been to hopcat.... Its tough for me to drive to GR and not go to Founders. The wife and I love the food and all the beer is world class and you know something special will always be on tap. Also, I've heard a lot of people complain of hopcats high prices for beer. Founders beers are $2 more than what they go for at founders. Someday I'll make it in there. I'd also like to hit up the Kalamazoo Beer Exchange someday. Brewery Vivant looks really nice too. Can't wait to try some at the fest.
North Peak isn't really exciting, but I think all the beers they make are really solid. Not so with New Holland, that's why I said they 'have their moments.' They make a few impressive beers, the rest are meh.

It's strange to me that people would complain about Hopcat prices. They charge similar prices to any other restaurant in the area, and the selection can't be beat. If you just want Founder's beer, by all means go to Founder's; they have more of them and can sell them for cheaper, as theres' no middleman there. If you want a greater diversity of beers in general, Hopcat is the place to go.

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of North Peak. I think they have decent beer, but their bottles are average at best, and the beer on tap is usually pretty good, but nothing knocked my socks off so far. It's been a while and I should probably go back and try them again, but with Right Brain right next door...

Brewery Vivant looks exciting! We went on opening weekend and the place was nearly packed. Found a place to sit and THEN remembered that they didn't take cards. After hunting briefly for an ATM, we said screw it and went to Hopcat.

I like the look of the place and the beer sounds intriguing, but I just got a tweet that said they were going to add a TV (powered by a bike). So IMO that clashes with the atmosphere they were trying to achieve. I'm not putting down the desire to compete with other places for the Superbowl (although I think the kind of people who dislike the Superbowl are the kind of people who would enjoy going to Brewery Vivant if nothing more than to avoid the crowds at the sports bars), I just think that a classy place like that adding a bike-powered TV is gimmicky.

The music was a bit loud for me there too. I sort of expected it a bit quieter, so you could chat with friends and new friends you meet there. Maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy.
The bike thing is pretty weird. This is the first I hear of it, but I'm not sure why you would put something like that in such a beautiful building.


__________________
Skyforger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Founders Centennial IPA DrewsBrew Commercial Brew Discussion 29 02-07-2014 01:44 PM
Bells VERSUS Founders!! Homercidal Commercial Brew Discussion 43 04-02-2011 03:45 PM
Founders KBS Mischief_Brewing Commercial Brew Discussion 1 05-12-2010 01:21 AM
Has anybody tried Founders Nemesis? clipperskip Commercial Brew Discussion 5 02-25-2010 04:51 PM
Founders Dirty Bastard!! Tophe Commercial Brew Discussion 4 02-03-2008 02:53 PM