Finally found Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foonder

Reaction score
I was with my SWMBO in a liquor store (She wanted some Smuttynose because she's awesome like that) and I was walking down the craft beer aisle and noticed brown 4 packs of Dogfish Head beer that I didn't recognize at first glance, and upon closer inspection, it was Palo Santo Marron! I don't know about you guys, but I've been searching & waiting for this beer for freakin Months! I bought 2 of the 3 available 4-packs for $13.99 a piece, along with the Smuttynose. Can't wait to try it.

BTW, I found it in Fairgrounds Liquor in Danbury, CT, 06811 if anyone's around the CT / NY border and looking for this beer.

congrats. haven't been able to find that in Columbus, Oh since like, this past fall/Winter. very easy to drink for a 12% beer.

When my girlfriend and I visited DFH earlier this summer, they had that on tap to sample...it was...different. I didn't really care for it, but then again I only had two sips of it, because the keg was tapped and they didn't have more. Interesting concept, though.

I found it in Madison - lots of IPA but I could not find Brown Ale until today!!

One of the highest rater Micro Brews in the States!

Palo Santo Marron has 275 reviews from beer Geeks with an A-

This brew went down very easy for such a high abv I thought it would be more of a sipping brew (which it could be)but it glided down quite easily,flavors of dark fruit, chocolate, vanilla-like nugget and caramel mixed with slight wood this would be a fine dessert brew.A great beer almost like a port flavor wise,enjoyable.

When I have it I'll post some pics and review it / describe it here. I'm rarely disappointed with DFH's special offerings. Even beers from them I didn't like initially (Immort ale used to taste like bacon & band aids to me) I like quite a bit now.

I thought it was pretty much a typical DFH brew...big ABV, massive flavors, quirky ingredients/process & nifty packaging.

I tried this a couple weeks ago and I hated it. I found it far too hot, unbalanced, far too dark and syrupy sweet with a heavy lingering taste of charcoal that persists long after the drink is gone.

Finally got around to opening it.
It looks amazing, much more like a porter than a brown ale. I poured pretty aggressively, and got a 1/2 inch creamy dark tan / light brown head. The head faded and now there's a ring around the glass, lacing seems to be pretty good so far.

Smells like dark burnt fruit almost, like charred raisins maybe. Definitely some chocolate, maple, vanilla going on in the nose. The Palo Santo wood is very evident, but kind of hard to describe, goes nicely with the beer.

Tastes like sweet malt, it's got some molassesy-ness to it, some nice dark ripe fruit. The charcoaly wood flavor is big, but not unpleasant (to me) at all. It's got a very nice soft roastyness to it, nothing sharp at all. Maybe that's why it's not considered a porter, the roasty flavors aren't shocking at all, super smooth.
Feels a bit syrupy on the tongue, perfect smooth level of carbonation.
As it warms the wood becomes more and more noticeable, delicious stuff.

I'd buy a ton of it and age it.
EDIT: Beer P0rn:
dsc00847yu9.jpg

dsc00848ev0.jpg

dsc00849hz0.jpg

Hey look, I agree with some of the posts and disagree with others. I think PSM is an Awesome beer! For 12 % it is surprisingly smooth, It does have a big brown sugar and molases flavor. But why is that a problem? How many other 12 % beers have you tasted that were aged in the Palo Santos Wood? My freind said, he wished it were more complex. I asked why? he said other barrel aged beers were more complex. I told him he needed to try more barrel aged beers!!! This is a good one, ya'll get it every chance you can!!!!!!

Eastside

I finally tried this last night. I had bought a 4pk a couple of weeks ago but didn't get to it until now. I like a lot of DFH beers, I think they do a really great job with new and exciting brews as well as their everyday lineup. But this one missed the mark. The alcohol heat / hot taste was constantly there and overpowering and was very syrupy thick which left an unpleasant aftertaste. I understand its high ABV, but I don't want to taste it. I love the concept of the beer...

I love this beer on tap, much better than bottled. After a quick one (or two) at the pub I feel like I need to take a walk through Rehoboth before I get in my car and drive off.

I know this is a long time coming since i posted to this thread long ago, but happened to notice this in the fridge at kenny rd market the other day if any c-town people looking for this again. I am sure palmer's has it if kenny rd does.

Has anyone found this in Texas? I live in College Station, but am in DFW very often. I have been dying to try this one as it sounds great...

Here is a great link for the story of Palo Santo Marron. I found the video on the Dogfish Head Site inspiring, esp where Sam says that Dogfish Head beers are specifically designed to be out there, and not everyone will appreciate them. Regardless of it you like DFH, you have to give this guy some props.

I really liked it but then I'm one of those guys who likes DFH's quirky big beers. I found it to be like a porter that ran into a Belgian quad but I'd say I have an inexperienced palate.

I worship this beer, but still haven't had it yet. The whole concept enthralls me.

so fabulous! had one off draft last night at the Brick Store Pub here in ATL, so damn good!! also had an Avery 15, which was wonderful, and a weyerbacker quad that was unbelievably good. Gosh i love the Brick Store... greatest beer selection i have ever, EVER seen.

Latest posts

Back